• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 W Silver Eagle Type-2 - error/damage? on Reverse

15 posts in this topic

I received the pictured coin from the mint and found that it has what I first thought was a milk spot on the reverse. But looking at it under magnification, there seems to be some slopping at the bottom of the "O", at the top left of the "Z" and a little bit at the bottom left corner of the "L". Just looking for some additional opinion(s) if this is just some kind of stain or a mint error? I'm actually a bit surprised the coin was shipped out, since I'm under the impression that the coins are checked for quality (but this could be my misunderstanding).

2016_0101_000327_001_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000424_003_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000517_004_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000539_005_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000715_006_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000825_007_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000838_008_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000901_009_Small.jpg

2016_0101_000919_010_Small.jpg

Over half the coins I get from the mint suck🙀. and dings and big sweeping milk spots ( ase V-75 a hot mess). Personally I am done with the new ase’s and age’s. Chopped gimpy wing eagle and a chicken head (nothing personal QA).  I feel your pain and we all know there’s no returning 😂.  Time for more coffee 🤓

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 8/14/2021 at 12:11 AM, VKurtB said:

They get a cursory very brief look and ONLY that. The inspection is done by the trayful, not individually.

That seems logical, specially when 100's of thousands are being produced. Plus the artifact is not huge, so seems easy enough to overlook.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not sure what it is, but it is ugly. Is the booger raised or incuse? Struck through is probably the most common error for modern collector coins and I don't think it's a milk spot. You can always return it.

Seems to be slightly raised under the loupe, but hard to tell while still in the case. Though that would be a fun NGC error designation "Raised Booger Error", lol, would be something I would keep in my collection for a very long time. I think I'm well beyond the return period and wouldn't likely get a replacement, just a refund. I rather keep in my collection even if imperfect. At least for me the imperfection makes it different from the others, even if it detracts value. Was just very surprised to see it and wondering what it could be.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Over half the coins I get from the mint suck🙀. and dings and big sweeping milk spots ( ase V-45 a hot mess). Personally I am done with the new ase’s and age’s. Chopped gimpy wing eagle and a chicken head (nothing personal QA).  I feel your pain and we all know there’s no returning 😂.  Time for more coffee 🤓

Haven't seen the ase v-75, been away from adding new coins to my collection for many years, starting to get back into it... I guess with any mass production there will always be some production issues... I suppose in the future I will need to be more vigilant and decide quicker if I want to return, though, even during the return window, I wasn't sure I wanted to return this one, I find this small artifact interesting.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:12 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Why the heck can they figure out how to detect faults in widget assembly lines with scanning can’t they adapt that kind of technology at the mint. Pharmacy products sure need inspection. On and on😈

The widget company needs to continually make their products better/faster/cheaper, or they're going to lose customers to competitors.  We all know of name brand products we used to buy, but now go elsewhere because of better quality or pricing.

So if you want a better product at a cheaper price, just buy them from the competition.  Oh wait.....  :facepalm:

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, JMD7 said:

Haven't seen the ase v-75, been away from adding new coins to my collection for many years, starting to get back into it... I guess with any mass production there will always be some production issues... I suppose in the future I will need to be more vigilant and decide quicker if I want to return, though, even during the return window, I wasn't sure I wanted to return this one, I find this small artifact interesting.

That’s what I did with my V-75 I can sure as heck pick it out from the crowd. Ugly duckling and such. Seems as though unless the mintage is 500,000 or more returns are self defeating. Good luck and happy collecting 

remember:

the us mint is continuing to work with us to enhance our shopping experience 😂

On 8/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, James Zyskowski said:

the us mint is continuing to work with us to enhance our shopping experience 😂

That'll be the day.....I feel for you U.S. Modern guys.