• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade, price, and opinion on this Indian head cent

9 posts in this topic

The 1903 cent might be worth a quarter....Lack of bids at $1.99 is understandable.

1864 cent is damaged - basically a cull, unless there's an L on the ribbon.

Edited by RWB

On 8/13/2021 at 6:03 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Funny, I’ve been selling this one on eBay and can’t get a bid of $1.99.

I know it cost me more, but came in. Wheat roll and I already have this one.

That's because it's not worth $1.99 and they know it.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, CoinsRCool78 said:

Bought it for 2 bucks at an antique shop in Houston… worth the money?

Yes.

No it wasn’t worth it , that coin damaged so bad on front (obverse) of the coin full of scratches looked like some took sand paper to it  . Remember not to buy coins just because they are cheap , collecting isn’t about buying cheap coins all time. It takes me sometimes months saving up money to buy the coins I want to have a nice collection I wouldn’t waste time on cheapo wore down cull coins and that coin looks worse than a parking lot coin so scary I wouldn’t even carry it in my pocket . Sorry I didn’t sugar coat it , steer clear of coins like that save your money buy something nicer that you will appreciate more as well too 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Funny, I’ve been selling this one on eBay and can’t get a bid of $1.99.

I know it cost me more, but came in. Wheat roll and I already have this one.

1515B953-6F64-4A17-990B-1480515E0726.jpeg

5C668278-B01B-4D01-8B44-8FCB341094C0.jpeg

I have to agree with the others......$1.99 is high for this coin.  When I worked at the brick and mortar shop, we sold common date Indian Cents like this one 50 cents, and that was in 2012-2013.  I think that 25-50 cents is the correct price range for this coin.  

On 8/13/2021 at 1:12 AM, CoinsRCool78 said:

Bought it for 2 bucks at an antique shop in Houston… worth the money?

2A7853AB-394F-4529-80B7-07EC2B4E4003.jpeg

5CBEC14D-040A-4722-98AA-1EF6FD30064E.jpeg

I'd say no.  The coin is in bad shape and has no eye appeal whatsoever.  I know when you're starting out, it's tempting to buy coins wherever you see them, especially when the price is low like this.  However, I would recommend holding on to your hard earned money until you find coins with eye appeal, that are problem free and that will continue to bring you joy even years from now.  That 1864 Indian is none of those things.  You can definitely do better with time, patience and by fighting that urge that tells you to buy coins wherever you see them.