• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is conservation or restoration worth it ?

7 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, ldhall said:

Another newbie question :) .Are the services that TPG's offer for  conservation or restoration service worth the money and/or really help value and eye appeal of coin ? 

Depends on the coin, in regard to both questions. With the first question, depends on the basic value of the issue. All the conservation in the world won't make a typical 1964 nickel worth the cost. With the second, while it will almost surely improve eye appeal, the value question is tied up with the first. If it's not worth jack on its own, it's not likely to be worth conserving.

Conservation can remove haze, limited corrosion and related problems. It should also stabilize the surfaces so that further damage will be limited. The result is typically a more visually appealing coin and sometimes one that will be more saleable. Nothing can restore a coin to original condition.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, RWB said:

Conservation can remove haze, limited corrosion and related problems. It should also stabilize the surfaces so that further damage will be limited. The result is typically a more visually appealing coin and sometimes one that will be more saleable. Nothing can restore a coin to original condition.

Correct. The only thing I’ve found is to learn to appreciate its uniqueness or replace it 🤓🙀

Thanks for advice, I deal with Morgans, Peace and ASE's and I have to learn to accept small carbon spots on slabbed coins or sell them. I still will possibly get coins for my collection restored for eye appeal as needed but I will sell at discount and not try to improve resale value. Thanx again - I was just confused because Anacs only charges 39 dollars for multiple coins and PCGS & NGC charge per coin. THANX again :) 

Coin Conservation is only worth it for more expensive type of coins or pattern pieces or scarce type of coin . I wouldn’t send in $80 Morgan for Conservation . However for raw coins there are dips out there that can remove some ugly toning (not all) . It’s risky for a new collector that doesn’t know what they are doing . Since you mention they are in slabs I wouldn’t waste my time on them just sell them off or trade them in for better coins 

If NGC believes a coin will benefit from conservation, they will email you to recommend it. After 10 years or so, I recently got my first one such. I approved going ahead.