• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to update a coin's description inside the database?

8 posts in this topic

Hi. I got coin #6258606-005, which is depicted as 1991Mo Mexico 1 Onza Silver (which is correct). When checking the variants (census) there are two possible entries for this year: The first one "1991MO SEVEN DOTS ON CACTUS PAD" and the second one "1991MO EIGHT DOTS ON CACTUS PAD". The problem lies how this coin was assigned in the database in how it appears in the Competitive Set.

Since the coin was slabbed before either descriptions were available, it is shown inside the Eight Dots description, while it is the Seven Dots one. 

Is it possible to update the database so it can be correctly depicted inside the Seven Dots category in the Competitive Set. The description in the slab is ok so I presume there is no need to change it.

Thanks.

• Administrator
On 8/5/2021 at 10:23 AM, BETO RIOS said:

Hi. I got coin #6258606-005, which is depicted as 1991Mo Mexico 1 Onza Silver (which is correct). When checking the variants (census) there are two possible entries for this year: The first one "1991MO SEVEN DOTS ON CACTUS PAD" and the second one "1991MO EIGHT DOTS ON CACTUS PAD". The problem lies how this coin was assigned in the database in how it appears in the Competitive Set.

Since the coin was slabbed before either descriptions were available, it is shown inside the Eight Dots description, while it is the Seven Dots one. 

Is it possible to update the database so it can be correctly depicted inside the Seven Dots category in the Competitive Set. The description in the slab is ok so I presume there is no need to change it.

Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your interest.

We have updated the slots to include the "regular' coin that you have and slots for the two varieties. A coin must have the variety printed on the label to be eligible in a variety slot in a variety set. (This is standard procedure across the NGC Registry to ensure a level playing field.)

On 8/6/2021 at 9:26 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello and thanks for your interest.

We have updated the slots to include the "regular' coin that you have and slots for the two varieties. A coin must have the variety printed on the label to be eligible in a variety slot in a variety set. (This is standard procedure across the NGC Registry to ensure a level playing field.)

Thanks for the quick response and update on the set. 

• Administrator

Hi. Our apologies for the confusion. We have heard back from the graders the two varieties are not "paid" varieties. Therefore, there is no reason to have a separate "plain" slot. The "plain" ID has been added to the more common description/slot. If you would like to post pictures of your coin in the holder, with the dots in clear view, we can move your particular cert. number to the other slot. Thank you.

• Administrator
On 8/23/2021 at 10:53 AM, BETO RIOS said:

Hi Ali. I am trying to upload the file but I am getting an error from the page indicating to get in touch with NGC??

Hello. If you are referring to a submission, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-642-2646  or service@ngccoin.com. Thank you.

No, I was responding back to an earlier request where you asked me to upload a photo of the coin detail so it can be properly assigned to it's category. I have tried to upload it but every time I get the following message: "There was a problem uploading the file. Please contact us for assistance" The file is 400k in size and it is gif.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, Ali E. said:

Hi. Our apologies for the confusion. We have heard back from the graders the two varieties are not "paid" varieties. Therefore, there is no reason to have a separate "plain" slot. The "plain" ID has been added to the more common description/slot. If you would like to post pictures of your coin in the holder, with the dots in clear view, we can move your particular cert. number to the other slot. Thank you.