• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1793 2 reale Spanish

67 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 8:13 PM, VKurtB said:

I am soooo no expert, but isn’t that a bit far north for Spanish? I would expect to see French or English. But again, not my wheelhouse. 

I remember seeing on that show  Curse of Oak Island. They found some Spanish coins there metal detecting. The Spanish traveled all over the place. 

On 7/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I remember seeing on that show  Curse of Oak Island. They found some Spanish coins there metal detecting. The Spanish traveled all over the place. 

They even got up this way. There's a place in Cannon Beach (about an hour and a half west of Portland) that sells shipwreck coins, generally Spanish cob coinage. Overpriced, polished, etc., but a number of Spanish vessels foundered along our coast (the mouth of the Columbia is particularly dangerous) and evidently they have been able to pull up some coins. Maybe they have washed up on the beaches.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:16 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Oak Island is about a 3 hour drive from here/where this coin was found. Our club has recovered thousands of 17th and 18th century silver coins and rev war relics. Also very recently there have been stories of people finding viking relics in the Miramichi area... maybe someone has found Vinland? Either way, I'm sure the History channel will hear about it and make a long, drawn out series with a lot of talking with very little actually being done/found....... *cough*

Edited by Yves85
concision

On 7/21/2021 at 12:17 AM, JKK said:

They even got up this way. There's a place in Cannon Beach (about an hour and a half west of Portland) that sells shipwreck coins, generally Spanish cob coinage. Overpriced, polished, etc., but a number of Spanish vessels foundered along our coast (the mouth of the Columbia is particularly dangerous) and evidently they have been able to pull up some coins. Maybe they have washed up on the beaches.

Finding COB coinage is extremely rare up here... if you're lucky, in a 30 year detecting "career" you'll find one. Making matters worse is because of their odd shape, they sometimes ring up up weird on metal detectors and show bouncing VIDs, and are often not dug up, because they *can* sound like junk... especially if its at an angle or edge on in the dirt.

When I first dug mine, I thought it was a bale seal and threw it in my finds pouch to clean at home. I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Yves85
reformating

On 7/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ah, I forgot about the daily non-stop from St. Augustine to Moncton in the 1600’s. 

On 7/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Ah, I forgot about the daily non-stop from St. Augustine to Moncton in the 1600’s. 

Well aren't you a real rascal!

On 7/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, Yves85 said:

Well aren't you a real rascal!

That’s what they say!