• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1814 Mexico colonial 1/8 pilon worth grading?

4 posts in this topic

It's a 1/16 real, Mexico city. Copper, and yours looks very cleaned with modest wear. I suspect it would come back VF details, cleaned, and I doubt it would pay to have it slabbed.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, JKK said:

It's a 1/16 real, Mexico city. Copper, and yours looks very cleaned with modest wear. I suspect it would come back VF details, cleaned, and I doubt it would pay to have it slabbed.

Thank you

On 7/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, SlickCoins said:

I'm not sure about it,,, but I found some stuff on it, lol yes marks also but after reading this, I don't think I'd grade it.

Hope this helps :)

Bolivia 1/2, 1, 2, 4, and 8 Reales 1814 to 1825

You might have an 8 reales (8R) coin from Bolivia, John. These old beauties are part of a major group of collectible coins known as Spanish Colonials. These were minted in 1/2, 1, 2, 4, and 8 reales denominations, most of which look similar but have different sizes. You can tell the denomination by the 'R' marking: R = 1/2 real, 1R = 1 real, 2R = 2 reales, 4R, and 8R.

potosi_mint_mark.jpgSpanish colonial coins were minted throughout the New World, including Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, and Peru. All these coins look roughly alike, except for subtle differences that are discerned by experts. The coins you see most often in the United States come from Mexico, as indicated by the Mo (large M with small o on top) mint mark. The primary Bolivian mint was at Potosi, as indicated by the PTS monogram shown in the picture.

As to value, we offer the follow catalog values for coins with no damage, like spots, stains, cleanings, nicks, scratches, and gouges; such damaged coins are worth very little.

1/2 REAL (17 mm diameter)
worn: $8 US dollars catalog value
average circulated: $30
well preserved: $60
1/2 reals dated 1814 and 1815 are more rare; double these values

1 REAL (21 mm diameter)
worn: $8 US dollars catalog value
average circulated: $30
well preserved: $50

2 REALES (28 mm diameter)
worn: $12 US dollars catalog value
average circulated: $50
well preserved: $110

4 REALES (34 mm diameter)
worn: $30 US dollars catalog value
average circulated: $130
well preserved: $300
4 reales coins dated 1825 are more rare, multiply these values by three

8 REALES (39 mm diameter)
worn: $30 US dollars catalog value
average circulated: $80
well preserved: $200
8 reales coins dated 1811PJ are very rare, cataloging at $12000 in average circulated condition
8 reales coins dated 1813 with FERDIN IIV instead of FERDIN VII are more rare, multiply values by four
8 reales coins dated 1824 dn 1825 are more rare, multiply these values by four

If you are interested (or become interested) in Spanish Colonials, be sure to visit an eBay seller known as SPB (click here for the eBay page). They have a lot of nice examples and have plenty of expertise in this specialized area.

These are catalog values, Actual value will vary. Read our Terminology page for an explanation.

I thank you very much very helpful