• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's A More Valuable Proof Error Coin?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, numisport said:

How can these coins be classified as errors if they were obviously struck on purpose in a clandestine fashion.

EXACTLY! The majority of errors like those are federal crimes, not errors.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:28 AM, VKurtB said:

It is highly unlikely you have a proof coin error.

It does happen though.  I once sold a 1969 proof set at the shop I was working at (Still in the original Gov packaging).  Those sets are common so I didn't pay any attention to it.  The next day they guy brought it back wanting to exchange it because the quarter was "defective".  I looked and it sure was.  The quarter was struck on a 15 - 20% incomplete planchet.  Told him I would be very happy to exchange it but that he be foolish to do so, and that if he didn't want the "defective set I would happily BUY it from him at a healthy profit to him.  I told him what it was and that I should have looked at the set before I sold it.  My mistake was his gain.  (We had bought the set in a lot of miscellaneous proof sets at 10% back of bid.) 

Edited by Conder101

1 minute ago, Conder101 said:

It does happen though.  I once sold a 1969 proof set at the shop I was working at (Still in the original Gov packaging).  Those sets are common so I didn't pay any attention to it.  The next day they guy brought it back wanting to exchange it because the quarter was "defective".  I looked ant it sure was.  The quarter was struck on a 15 - 20% incomplete planchet.  Told him I would be very happy to exchange it but that he be foolish to do so, and that if he didn't want the "defective set I would happily BUY it from him at a healthy profit to him.  I told him what it was and that I should have looked at the set before I sold it.  My mistake was his gain.

Curved clip or straight? 1969, eh? San Francisco,eh? Just the random winds could transport enough pot smoke.

1 hour ago, Callinectes said:

Thanks, The dark spot on the center is three dimensional like a piece of slag on the coin, could that be from the mint?

It looks like something got on the coin during the packaging process and the particle/substance is causing environmental damage.  Package mistakes aren't considered errors and generally reduce the value of the set.  In this case, the coin is damaged, which definitely reduces the value.

1 hour ago, Errorists said:

Looks like a strike through error. Looks like the sun went supernova.. 

Not a strike through. Packaging contamination.