• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1926 quarter eagle submission/grade opinion

6 posts in this topic

This was my first gold coin purchase. At least at this point I decided for now that I would mostly only buy gold coins already graded. Except for an 82 eagle I bought I have stuck to that so far acquiring one dollar, two half eagles, and two double eagles. I have used Photograde more often lately and even with that with this coin I arrive at different conclusions. To me it appears to grade somewhere between 40 and early 60s. I lean towards 55-60 here, but may be overly optimistic. The numerous scratches on Photograde in the 60-62 grades are what probably sway me towards allowing the higher ones. Any opinions on how this might grade and if it might be worth submitting would be appreciated. 

20210621_175424.jpg

20210621_175323.jpg

Since the grades 60 - 70 are reserved for uncirculated coins, and your quarter eagle has obvious wear, it can not grade above AU58 (59 is not used.) I would put it in the lower AU range.

These are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma when it comes to grading. The incuse design means wear is evident in the fields and not so much the devices. Very different than how you would normally assess. I never seem to get them graded correctly. I do agree it’s circulated. Further than that I won’t embarrass myself. 

On 6/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, gmarguli said:

AU Details, Cleaned.

+1