• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1831 Capped Bust Half Dime Grade Evaluation

10 posts in this topic

Hi! 
I recently received some coins from my grandpa who passed, and I am trying to determine if the coins are decent enough, or worth having them graded. I’ve looked at photos of different grades, but being a newbie to this, I am not sure what to look for. Any help with estimating the grade and whether or not I should pay to have it graded through NGC would be appreciated. 

I have an 1831 Capped Bust Half Dime and an 1822 Capped Bust Half Dollar. 

thank you 

5A1F11B8-C4E3-4332-B6C8-0791FF1440F0.jpeg

0BAFBCDE-F1F6-4071-BDA6-94D557CC3E93.jpeg

9F5E3FBD-A8E5-45BB-9D53-341E3EC74494.jpeg

86EBD5C1-3F62-42BA-9994-D49B5DC76E40.jpeg

E8AD7AD9-38F9-4997-8880-6D5759FEA59D.jpeg

I would think these WOULD merit grading. The rule of thumb is if it is not worth $150 it probably not worth it. But, since it was your Grandpa's it might bear significance, My grandfather gave me an old Morgan one time. I spent it. Think about it.

1831 H10C Capped Bust Half Dime XF-40 PCGS, Nice Original Type Coin! _ eBay

Agree with Vkurt. The half dime looks low AU (53 or so). Still a $150-$200 coin depending on grade.  But the 1822 should unquestionably go to grading. I can’t tell for sure if there is wear on the hair but it looks like a little. Even AU it’s a very collectible coin. 

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CLEAN THEM. HANDLE THEM ON THE EDGES ONLY AND CAREFULLY.

4 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Agree with Vkurt. The half dime looks low AU (53 or so). Still a $150-$200 coin depending on grade.  But the 1822 should unquestionably go to grading. I can’t tell for sure if there is wear on the hair but it looks like a little. Even AU it’s a very collectible coin. 

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CLEAN THEM. HANDLE THEM ON THE EDGES ONLY AND CAREFULLY.

Thank you for the info. I will handle them carefully and will not clean them at all. 

2 minutes ago, Applejack said:

Thank you for the info. I will handle them carefully and will not clean them at all. 

So many people think cleaning them will help and it couldn’t be further from the truth. It kills value. You may have already known that but if not saving you some grief. 

Wow that bust half is a sweet one..  I think there may be a dozen varities of this year in the Overton catagories.  just my opionoin and only mine since i only dabble in them and have only about 10 of them ithink she may be an O-110 at quick glance.  I would have her slabbed in a heartbeat. 

4 hours ago, JT2 said:

Wow that bust half is a sweet one..  I think there may be a dozen varities of this year in the Overton catagories.  just my opionoin and only mine since i only dabble in them and have only about 10 of them ithink she may be an O-110 at quick glance.  I would have her slabbed in a heartbeat. 

I wasn’t even aware of the Overton categories and found a nice site online that explains the details of each one and what to look for. Thank you for informing me of that. 

It could be the lighting, but the half dime looks cleaned to me. On the other hand, the half dollar looks very nice.

On the bust half - Star 7 touches the cap, Reverse ribbon ends under the point of the "M," right inside serif on the bases of the "A"s are missing. That is Obverse die 9, paired with Reverse die H - Overton-109.

For the half dime: Star 7 is close to the headband, and points to the top of the headband, Star 8 close to the cap; Reverse has extra "serif" between "C" and "A,"  "I" in "PLURIBUS" between the "A" and "T." Looks like obverse die 1 and Reverse die F. That is Logan-McCloskey-2.