• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCGS & 1943S ddo fakes

5 posts in this topic

while on pcgs coin facts to compare a 1943S ddo I noticed something that I wished I didn't see. They had graded and on the site coins that made it through as fakes/altered coins. One was so bad I could tell a mile away. Yes more then 1 at first I was mad but now it just saddens me. Not sure where I'm going with this just thought I'd put it out there. We need a better system that's 4sure and. one that grades equally. I see some coins graded way to high and others to low. Not sure how to fix it but it does need fixing.

We’ve all seen coins that were graded low and high that is scattered across all TPG even the old grading companies like PCI , hallmark to name a few and old ANACS holders were usually graded conservative at that time crack’em out send them in you’ll be surprised some come back 1 grade higher or dead on for grade I’m not guaranteeing they all will grade like that but I heard many of stories from collectors who cracked out coins in old ANACS holders got better grade from PCGS/NGC I myself have few old ANACS coins I have no desire to crack them out , I’ve seen some nice Morgans under graded by PCGS in old holders but again it to each collector if they agree is under graded or not . That’s why we have TPG grading these days if anyone remember haggling with an older dealer back in 80’s he would write GEM on 2x2 Morgan that would grade ms62 maybe ms63 but No he wanted top dollars for his Morgan the haggling was brutal sometimes back then (not to mention I’ve seen a lot scratched and dented coins on the rim back then from dealers using stapler to put staples to close to the coin in 2x2 holder)

So thanks to TPG sure they don’t get every coin right on the grade until day we see advance computerized grading things might straighten up . They have tried computerized grading in the past they abandoned the idea never tried to improve it , I’m sure in near future we will see advance accurate computerized grading after all who wants to spend say $40k on a coin to later find out everyone else don’t agree with the grade and nobody willing to pay upper price of that so called “high caliber coin”. Does anyone like to talk about 69 and 70 grades? Not much of a difference there. 

2 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

Does anyone like to talk about 69 and 70 grades? Not much of a difference there. 

Only the price jump, which can be extreme