• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon spots , fly specks on modern silver

35 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Is the burnished ase considered bullion at 138,000 + mintage its the lowest of the burnished Plus sold way different than bulk. There is a W mint mark. You all are starting to confuse me??

It is ASE Bullion but like I said some are worth more

2 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

I was once told that TPG also uses a blast of air before encapsulated coins

They all use filtered compressed air at several stages of handling. All the modern (less than 20 years old) air compressors I've seen have moisture traps or filters. ISO clean room standards go into considerable detail about how to reduce particulates, not merely blow them about with a balloon inflator.

When you submit your coins in 2.5x2.5 flips a lot of dust and dirt go along for the ride, so TPGs are already working with a contaminated item. (Look back at the science in the distance viruses can travel from a sneeze....)

Edited by RWB

23 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Is the burnished ase considered bullion at 138,000 + mintage its the lowest of the burnished Plus sold way different than bulk. There is a W mint mark. You all are starting to confuse me??

Certain years are low mintage the burnish type is worthy of being in slab along with key date years and proof versions … All the other were massed produced typical strikes worth nothing but their melt value , but a typical silver eagle graded at MS69 then try sell it back to dealer the next day they either give on spot or just tiny tad lower then ask them why ? They will tell you they treat it as bullion nothing special , but when they sold it to you they acted like it was glorious coin of all silver eagles ! That’s typical cause they made money off you … The only ones making money off bullion is the dealers who have stock pile of MS70s and PF70s ready to sell to people who are hungry enough to pay out a handsome premium for that coin like VCurtB said try to recoup your cost if you try sell it you’ll be outta luck even the dealer won’t pay you 1/2 (half) of what that MS70 or PF70 coin is worth only to (you as the buyer) will take the hit , it leaves you stuck trying to offload it on to another collector if they want it really badly ! That’s why we see these 70 coins for sale all over Ebay they sit there waiting and waiting for a buyer the prices are to ridiculously high , a person has better shot somedays buying few of their own raw and sending it in for grading they might get lucky to get a 70 grade if it really matters they call them “value trap coins” you get stuck in the trap 

2 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

I do like the burnished W ASE’s. I like them so much I’ve stopped buying proofs. But I would never have one of either graded and slabbed. There is no valuation “delta” between being in an NGC or P-something slab, and being in the original packaging. Never conflate that which you pay extra for and that for which you will be paid more. It’s not the same thing.

Edited by VKurtB

15 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I do like the burnished W ASE’s. I like them so much I’ve stopped buying proofs. But I would never have one of either graded and slabbed.

100% agee with that.  I have every variety except the 95 W  all OGP and they will stay that way.....not to mention some of the packaging actually looks good.