• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to verify if this coin is real or not.

7 posts in this topic

Good Morning, Evening, Afternoon, and night! 

I hope I'm abiding by the forum rules when posting this. I've inherited several coins, and there's one that's really stumping me. I don't know how to validate if this coin is real or fake, which I'd like to have some idea before sending it off to be verified. Is there any tips or tricks you all can help me with? I appreciate it! 

coin1.jpg

coin.jpg

Good photos. Off the top of my head, it looks concerning. For one thing, the date looks like 1749, but Felipe V's pieces of eight that resemble this one end in 1747. The irregularity could be due to burial, inauthenticity, or both. It should weigh 27.07g (given a potential metal loss of about 5%) and be 40mm across. Run a magnet over it (rare earth, if you have it). If it does not jump to a magnet, that does not confer authenticity; it just eliminates one of the cruder categories of inauthenticity.

Several years ago my brother found one in the dirt. He was told it was fake and never held on to it.....I wished he would have kept it. Counterfeit or not it was a piece of history...my brother not knowing it at the time. We have conversations about the coin on rare occasions. Either way. Good find!

Thank you all! I'll check it out more this weekend. It looked a bit off to me, too after looking at the photos online, but then I found this once which gave me a little hope https://www.govmint.com/spain-1734-1771-pillar-silver-half-reales-fine?ad=710GS&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609Ree3DJJFbVPxVCzSRNN59_kSGFPQg1JK9XSlNAW0KY4Eq9bLYCR5B1hoCoNYQAvD_BwE 

Nonetheless, I'll definitely be keeping it! I may have you awesome people look over some other coins this weekend as well haha. I really appreciate your time and assistance with this!

Keep it nonetheless. They are great conversation peices. There are tons of fakes out there. Good luck finding a real one! Keep for reference as I can not stress enough on such coins, as counterfeits are abundant!! Happy hunting by the way! I'm out doing some metal detecting. Have fun!