• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Estimate-yes just an estimate
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Looking at picking this 1885-CC GSA up and would like some opinions on it's grade. I do not have this in hand so I can't provide any better pics, but I think this will be good enough for now. Appreciate ANY feedback on this!

1885 Obverse.png

1885 reverse.png

Just now, Woods020 said:

My estimate would be MS 63/64. Nice luster but usual hits in the cheek and chatter in the fields. 

After you added the second pictures while I was typing my first response my guess would go down. The obverse has more going on than I saw in the first one. It’s more 62 i would say now. 

ITs a typical CC, frosty and bright but lots of chatter and marks.  I would grade it as a 62, just too many bag marks for anything higher

Based on the second set of pictures (which I'm guessing to be much more accurate), MS62, at best. Based on the first set (which should probably be ignored), MS64.

I'd pass.

Edited by MarkFeld

5 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Based on the second set of pictures (which I'm guessing to be much more accurate), MS62, at best. Based on the first set (which should probably be ignored), MS64.

I'd pass.

Agreed... MS-62 is its highest point of grade

Edited by UrbanDecay4

On 5/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, Alex in PA. said:

62 if you're lucky but I would say 61.  That obverse really looks roughed up.  Sorry.  

I see nothing of the sort.

The obverse was involved in a bar brawl; the eagle on the reverse had enough sense to wait outside.  What puzzles me is why the experts who've weighed in refuse to acknowledge that though the eagle looks lovely, the shadowy shading suggests wear.  Ironically, that requires mustering up the courage to say the "wear" on the reverse, numismatically speaking, is significant enough to outweigh the lack of "wear" on the obverse despite the obvious bruising, hematoma, contusions and clearly 🙄 impossible to overlook abrasion of the rim from 12 to 1 o' clock.  If this is the best we can all do at grading, opinions or not, it's time for a change.    

54 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I see nothing of the sort.

The obverse was involved in a bar brawl; the eagle on the reverse had enough sense to wait outside.  What puzzles me is why the experts who've weighed in refuse to acknowledge that though the eagle looks lovely, the shadowy shading suggests wear.  Ironically, that requires mustering up the courage to say the "wear" on the reverse, numismatically speaking, is significant enough to outweigh the lack of "wear" on the obverse despite the obvious bruising, hematoma, contusions and clearly 🙄 impossible to overlook abrasion of the rim from 12 to 1 o' clock.  If this is the best we can all do at grading, opinions or not, it's time for a change.    

Have you looked at many graded Morgans? If you can find 1 in 10 that the eagle’s breast doesn’t show some marks  you are doing well. Bag marks and hits can happen just as much on the reverse as the obverse granted it is more likely on the obverse based on the process post strike. And they were often transported long distances from CC in bags to banks elsewhere. That doesn’t mean it was circulated. 

8 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Have you looked at many graded Morgans? If you can find 1 in 10 that the eagle’s breast doesn’t show some marks  you are doing well. Bag marks and hits can happen just as much on the reverse as the obverse granted it is more likely on the obverse based on the process post strike. And they were often transported long distances from CC in bags to banks elsewhere. That doesn’t mean it was circulated. 

@AverageStacker Just curious....

How many rocket-propelled grenades must a coin resembling a lunar surface sustain before common-sense prevails and something obvious to a child dictates that enough is enough --post-strike process? I don't recall seeing any other weighty coins (double-eagles, present-day ASE's subjected to such sustained bombardment)  -- and with that graze of the scalp and impacted incisors, does what we're left with condemn the rest of us to a lifetime of repeated recitations justifying qualification for lofty Mint State status? And this is just the obverse! Would not you want a coin that can stand proudly, without explanations or excuses, on its own? All that surface activity may qualify the coin for like-new, pre-owned, almost uncirculated status.  The reverse I leave for the embalmers at conservation to practice their potions on now that the vocal majority here has voted against "wear" on the basis of historical facts, PMD, whatever.

The coin, nevertheless, is eligible for Federal disaster aid.

19 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

How many rocket-propelled grenades must a coin resembling a lunar surface sustain before common-sense prevails and something obvious to a child dictates that enough is enough --post-strike process? I don't recall seeing any other weighty coins (double-eagles, present-day ASE's subjected to such sustained bombardment)  -- and with that graze of the scalp and impacted incisors, does what we're left with condemn the rest of us to a lifetime of repeated recitations justifying qualification for lofty Mint State status? And this is just the obverse! Would not you want a coin that can stand proudly, without explanations or excuses, on its own? All that surface activity may qualify the coin for like-new, pre-owned, almost uncirculated status.  The reverse I leave for the embalmers at conservation to practice their potions on now that the vocal majority here has voted against "wear" on the basis of historical facts, PMD, whatever.

Ummm...I haven't said anything other than ask for rough grade estimate. 

16 minutes ago, AverageStacker said:

Don’t be bothered. Every board has one….

Mine is the least “expert” of the ones you received, but you got consistent grade guidance from some very knowledgeable people. In fact one was a professional grader for NGC for many years. So take tangential comments with a grain of salt. 

37 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Perhaps read a little about the process of mint Morgans. The shoot they went down after they were ejected from the press and why the obverse is more marked on average then the reverse. You might see that comparing to today’s process and machinery for an ASE makes about as much sense and any language related to a space craft in this discussion. 

29 minutes ago, AverageStacker said:

All of what I have noted will be used against you when it comes time to sell.  You want something free of obvious commotion. Something you can be proud of.  Set your sights higher.  Don't compromise. There's another train right behind this one. Be patient, and your patience will be rewarded.

My guess would be similar MS62. Of course I will comment further..... I recommend choosing an 82, 83, or 84CC as you can afford an MS 65 or even a nice PL coin. As you probably know the 85 CC exists in large numbers and will never be rare or even scarce. That said they are very popular hence the higher price. Besides, for a few bucks more you could buy one 2 grades higher.

[I knew if I waited long enough, a breath of fresh air would come my way. Thank you, Numisport! Now I can take this mask off and breathe in deeply.]

2 hours ago, numisport said:

My guess would be similar MS62. Of course I will comment further..... I recommend choosing an 82, 83, or 84CC as you can afford an MS 65 or even a nice PL coin. As you probably know the 85 CC exists in large numbers and will never be rare or even scarce. That said they are very popular hence the higher price. Besides, for a few bucks more you could buy one 2 grades higher.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I already have an 82, 83, and 84 hence why I waslooking at this one.  

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

All of what I have noted will be used against you when it comes time to sell.  You want something free of obvious commotion. Something you can be proud of.  Set your sights higher.  Don't compromise. There's another train right behind this one. Be patient, and your patience will be rewarded.

And all taken into consideration.  This isn't about selling down the line,  this is about a personal collection. The whole point of the post was to evaluate a proper price range that I would be willing to offer the seller.