• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here are some nickels for Lem E

37 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

The one man I know here that can tell you the answer is Condor101. He knows all the different styles of slabs and the grading techniques of each style era. 

I have no doubt @Conder101 would know. Maybe we will get lucky and he will chime in on this. Thanks Rick.

Edited by Lem E

49 minutes ago, lehigh96 said:

The Full Step designation predates both NGC and PCGS, and both companies incorporated full steps from their inception.  PCGS decided that any coin that displayed five full steps would receive the FS designation.  In contrast, NGC tried to take the conservative route and made their "FS" designation require six full steps.  Alas, they were losing badly to PCGS on Jefferson Nickel submissions and in February 2003, they finally relented and discontinued the FS designation and created the 5FS & 6FS designation to take their place.

This is my earliest slabbed PCGS full step Jefferson Nickel:  1983-D PCGS MS65 FS

lDYONPw.jpg

7MXXAjk.jpg

Here is an example of an early NGC slab with the FS designation:  1940 NGC MS67 FS

mMzMW3Y.jpg

wXVdpo1.jpg

Here is an example of an NGC 6FS:  1943-D NGC MS67 6FS

K9oDbrI.jpg

KUhxpZs.jpg

Here is a an example of a strong NGC 5FS:  1958-D NGC MS66 5FS

NRh8b7E.jpg

lU4F92Z.jpg

And finally an example of a weak NGC 5FS:  1950 NGC MS66 5FS

HZtX2CK.jpg

DUWQS8l.jpg

I've been thinking about doing an updated thread that explains the full step designation on both reverse of 38 & 40 as well as the changes to the designations for a while now, but for now, this should suffice.

Thanks for the info Paul. Very interesting stuff. I did read on the NGC website where the old FS designations meant 6 full steps. Would love to read the new 38 & 40 thread. Some very beautiful Jeffs you posted. Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Lem E said:

Here are a couple of mine. These look familiar @lehigh96 ?

1173D544-FAC4-44C4-9339-F488E82CCA61.jpeg

C66B2D06-662C-4CE7-BCE6-7A3DCFF8CBA7.jpeg

A gorgeous Appalachian and my 42-D 6 stepper, loved those two coins.  I don't know if I ever told you the story about how that 42-D became available, but if I have, I'm sure it is news to the other followers of this thread.  I started my Jefferson Nickel registry collection back in 2008 and that 42-D 67 6FS was one of the first coins that I obtained.  Simultaneously, I was assembling an Intercept Shield album collection, but eBay was a minefield back then and the photos were exponentially worse than they are now (and they aren't good now).  Buying raw coins was near impossible so I resorted to buying MS66 graded coins and cracking them out (see photos below).

KPmEUTX.jpg

5Z0KLyh.jpg

So that coin sat in my album for over a decade.  In 2019, I started buying completed album collections, breaking them up, and selling them off piece by piece and submitting anything that had a chance at MS67.  I ran into an premium gem 42-D that had a rim ding that was severe enough that I thought it might get bagged so I decided to place that coin in my album and sell the NGC MS66 that was already in the album.  After removing and photographing the coin, I was perplexed (see photos below).

CvizJ1D.jpg

wwnIE33.jpg

I was certain that what was residing in that spot was supposed to be an MS66, but what was staring at me was one of the most lustrous Jefferson Nickels that I had ever seen.  In addition, the coin looked MS67 all day long, and the step detail certainly looked like it had a shot.  Since the coin was originally in an NGC Old Fatty holder and was graded prior to the inception of the 5FS designation, it was certainly possible that this was a full step coin that just wasn't designated as such.  After some thought, I decided that this coin was easily an MS67 by both NGC & PCGS standards, but that it had a much better shot at FS by sending it to PCGS, so that is what I did, knowing full well that it would become my registry coin.

mjxDMQ4.jpg

Wow that is a gorgeous 42D! Hard to imagine it being slabbed as a 66. Hammered strike and looks to have great luster. Im glad you found that one so I had the opportunity to get the one I have from you. Glad to get both coins actually. 2 of the best coins in my collection. You are one of the only other people who really knows what that Appalachian coin looks like in hand. The luster on it is ridiculous! For anyone reading this interested in Jefferson Nickels, you should definitely go check out the Atlantic City set of lehigh96. The best set in the registry in my opinion, and the inspiration behind me starting my own Jefferson collection. To me, THIS guy is the nickel MAN! I have spent hours looking at that set and reading about those coins. I appreciate all the information you have given us my friend. Thank you.