• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Roosevelt dime error? Missing clad?

6 posts in this topic

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like the clad layer is still there. It just toned that color over the years. 

Wouldn't their be a rainbowish type of coloring on it? I've seen my Morgan's do it naturally and it just looks way different.

Sorry, but it's just some type of post mint plating or discoloration due to environmental exposure.  It's not an error.  You can see where the plating/discoloration has worn off on the high points on the reverse

Edit to add:

Your Morgan is made from 90% silver.  The clad layers are an alloy of 75% copper 25% nickel, so chemical reactions that cause toning would be different.

Edited by Oldhoopster

3 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

Sorry, but it's just some type of post mint plating or discoloration due to environmental exposure.  It's not an error.  You can see where the plating/discoloration has worn off on the high points on the reverse

Edit to add:

Your Morgan is made from 90% silver.  The clad layers are an alloy of 75% copper 25% nickel, so chemical reactions that cause toning would be different.

I kinda figured it was too good to be true bc most coins missing the clad is only one sided. I'm gonna leave it here and see what others have to say I appreciate it tho.

47 minutes ago, Dustincram said:

Wouldn't their be a rainbowish type of coloring on it? I've seen my Morgan's do it naturally and it just looks way different.

They can tone about any color. It's got different metal compositions than Morgans. 

Edited by Hoghead515