• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel penny
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Anyone want to buy a steel penny? Just 20 some thousand dollars. :roflmao: The description said ," Rare misprint. The backside is printed completely upside down."  Wonder if they don't realize that's the way they are supposed to be. According to their feedback they only sold a handful of items. But it won't let me click on their feedback. Says no positive feedback. Oh yeah. Says ms62 but got a picture of a raw coin. Recon I outta send them a message and tell them they need to be on esty instead of Ebay. With the other loonies. I took a screen shot of it. Can't believe 23 people is watching it. Screenshot_20210503-081909_eBay.thumb.jpg.ff0ffa4bdf093ef12357f2e586713f8d.jpg

Just now, Fenntucky Mike said:

Ha! 

They are watching to see if some poor soul actually buys it and that seller probably knows the orientation of the coin, just trying to sucker someone.

That's what I figured to. Most people knows better. I hope they don't take advantage of someone who doesn't know any better. I can't stand people who do that to people. 

8 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

WoW !, I'm going to break out mine and maybe I can retire earlier. If they get 22k for ms62 my MS67 should be of the charts.  lol

1943.steel.D.ms67Obv[1].jpg

1943.steel.D.ms67Rev[1].jpg

Yours outta be a half a million. 

9 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

WoW !, I'm going to break out mine and maybe I can retire earlier. If they get 22k for ms62 my MS67 should be of the charts.  lol

1943.steel.D.ms67Obv[1].jpg

1943.steel.D.ms67Rev[1].jpg

By the way that is a very nice one. I like it. Is that one of those old fattie holders? Ain't that what they call them?  

17 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

By the way that is a very nice one. I like it. Is that one of those old fattie holders? Ain't that what they call them?  

Yes that is an NGC 5th generation holder, the last version of the fatty holders.

Here is a link to an old thread with a list of the NGC holder generations that was put together by @Conder101 NGC Holder generations    The list has not been updated in some time so many of the newer generations are not shown.

Edited by Coinbuf

34 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Yes that is an NGC 5th generation holder, the last version of the fatty holders.

Here is a link to an old thread with a list of the NGC holder generations that was put together by @Conder101 NGC Holder generations    The list has not been updated in some time so many of the newer generations are not shown.

Thanks for the link.  I got a couple of those. I noticed they were thicker than my other slabs. And I'd heard that name before. Now that I got a nice little assortment it will be fun to look them up on that link and see which ones I have. 

4 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Anyone want to buy a steel penny? Just 20 some thousand dollars. :roflmao: The description said ," Rare misprint. Screenshot_20210503-081909_eBay.thumb.jpg.ff0ffa4bdf093ef12357f2e586713f8d.jpg

A more accurate description would probably be "mis-mint."  Nevertheless, I have on occasion alerted inattentive sellers to the fact their gold and silver offerings sometimes dip well below precious metal melt prices.  This one, however, is beyond the pale.  Is it any wonder eBay would rather dispense with the buying and selling of coins entirely?

8 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Slab and coin are far too beautiful for that.  You've got a real nice one.  CAC?

8 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Slab and coin are far too beautiful for that.  You've got a real nice one.  CAC?

I may be a bit of a newb in some regards but I have enough sense not to break open a MY67 hahaha...dunno about the CAC stuff, looks nice as is.

3 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Totally agree.  Will you give it a shot at CAC?  

You know, I watch these conversations about a CAC designations on coins and I understand why people have a desire to submit them to this process because of the "extra POP" a coin may have beyond it's regular grading, toning, nice luster...etc and the "value" of this particular coin is $215@67 but I'm not sure of the true added value of a sticker that's identifies it being extra eye appealing, not too mention a additional fee, since it won't add a + to the 67.
           Would a CAC validation make it equal to a + or a additional 50% of a + or would it simply have the status of "Extra Neat Coin" ?

10 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

Would a CAC validation make it equal to a + or a additional 50% of a + or would it simply have the status of "Extra Neat Coin" ?

I'm not well versed in CAC but that would seem to be the implication but not a guarantee, a green bean means the coin is strong for the grade. I wonder if it'll get to a point were, for certain coins, a CAC sticker is common place, if supply exceeds demand and prices level off or even fall back.

18 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

You know, I watch these conversations about a CAC designations on coins and I understand why people have a desire to submit them to this process because of the "extra POP" a coin may have beyond it's regular grading, toning, nice luster...etc and the "value" of this particular coin is $215@67 but I'm not sure of the true added value of a sticker that's identifies it being extra eye appealing, not too mention a additional fee, since it won't add a + to the 67.

Well the CAC price guide shows a 67 with a guide price of $260, so if you were able to get a bean it might add a small bit of value over the cost to submit.   So while not a big price boost the other intangible factor is liquidity, and its difficult to predict if the bean would increase either the price or liquidity significantly more than the old holder currently does.

6 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm not well versed in CAC but that would seem to be the implication but not a guarantee, a green bean means the coin is strong for the grade. I wonder if it'll get to a point were, for certain coins, a CAC sticker is common place, if supply exceeds demand and prices level off or even fall back.

observation.....from what i see, the cac bean is presently adding a % to resale value for almost all series...having said that, the % increase isnt the same for all series....in some of the more common series, 20th cent, the increase seems like 15 % in some, 19th cent, it has recently risen to 30-40%...overall to answer op quest it seems fair to say the cac bean equates to the added value a + would add to the coin....i dont see the cac bean becoming common place in any given series as in theory it represents the top 10 % or so of all coins in  that date n grade in that series only, its not a cumulative evaluation...

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Well the CAC price guide shows a 67 with a guide price of $260, so if you were able to get a bean it might add a small bit of value over the cost to submit.   So while not a big price boost the other intangible factor is liquidity, and its difficult to predict if the bean would increase either the price or liquidity significantly more than the old holder currently does.

the coin doesnt need to be reholdered to receive a cac bean.....

[And all this CACkling is presided over by just one man and once the arbitrary 10% mark has been reached, all bets are off on further eligible candidates?]