• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m the dolt that split the 1964 sms

10 posts in this topic

So... besides the fact that I didnt click on the sp  button on the pcgs app and honestly.... ugh smh. But anywho, water under the bridge.

so what should I do about the rest 1964 sms set? Should I grade them and auction as a set still or no? 
I know I’ve been having issues with learning mess and I never get off on the right foot. But I will get it. Thanks for any help in advance. 
Meg

58E4C55A-5ACD-4464-84FB-4F4FB8E8B2A4.jpeg

418ABBD4-6D50-48A9-AC81-B26E4CDD029B.jpeg

There are no "1964 Special Mint Sets" except in the warped greed of some who cannot understand that coins off new dies look a little different than "normal" coins.

Cuz I just accidentally sold a 1964 sms Kennedy half dollar.... .they sold it for **,000 dollars. 
I have the rest of the set. 

Edited by Nyami

I can’t say who bought due to anonymity, I received a mint set packaged in cellophane  original packaging from my Great Uncle Herb  Ireland gave it to me. He did not mention that it was an sms set, the only reason I know it’s sms is because the Kennedy half graded that way. 

Edited by Nyami

OK, what are called 1964 "special mint sets"  were not packaged in cellophane.  What you had was a regular mint set or proof set, not a special mint set.  What grading company graded it as a SMS half?

2 hours ago, Nyami said:

Cuz I just accidentally sold a 1964 sms Kennedy half dollar.... .they sold it for **,000 dollars. 
I have the rest of the set. 

Not to many Kennedy Half's sell for 5 figures was it like this one.

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1964-d-50c/6707/2176709371730767830

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That looks like a regular proof half dollar, and I've seen several of the coins that PCGS grades as SMS and NGC grades as SP. There's very little similarity.