• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021P Wedge Tailed Eagle(Australia)Enhanced Reverse Proof High Relief
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I've done multiple searches on the boards and can't find any answers. I recently bought four of these Eagles.  They minted 5,000 of these and serialized them.  Should I send them in with their packaging and COA's to be graded?  Thanks for your help.

You certainly can, but most will tell you it isn’t what they would do. The modern coins like these will be perfect or very close so grading isn’t that important. You got them straight from the mint I presume so no question of authenticity plus you have COA. And they came packaged in protection. All that to say there really isn’t a reason to spend the money. With that said I got my two V75 ASEs graded despite my advice. 

Appreciate that. Differences in prices sold on Ebay is my main driving force. Plus I'm a snob, I like having coins graded perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MS70 V75's are selling $600-$700.  Not sure about the ungraded ones.

Like most moderns it's probably only worth it if the coins grade 70, strictly from a resale perspective. With a total graded at NGC of 2,950 with 2,939 graded at 70, I'd say you have a pretty good chance. Looks like they have been going for around $300 but you've missed out, or can't get, on all the fancy labels so you might not quite get that. (shrug) It's a tough call as there seems to be a pretty good collector base for these. Only you have all the #'s.

Pictures would make it nice. I just lucked out with a 2021 W proof DCam and NGC stated to mark Modern tier in original mint packaging. Got it graded  PF70 ultra cameo. Original box and coa came about 3 weeks after the grading 4 weeks.

There are some date rules to comply with on these too.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2431/World-Early-Releases-Cutoff-Dates/#australia

I got my ASE on March 11, I immediately sent it to NGC the next day priority two day. They got it on the 13th but it didn’t show up,in submissions until the 30th with a received date of 3/27/21! I had the tracking printout, but they still didn’t award me early release because it didn’t “arrive” by their 3-15-21 deadline. I contacted NGC customer service with the proof in hand and they told me it would get early release. It didn’t. That’s ok though I got the West Point star label. In only 344,000 were minted, so I’ll shut up now. Good luck.

C1CAD59B-99AD-459C-B725-3C6A32D640FD.jpeg

I jumped on these because of the low mintage.  I'm leaning towards having them graded because there aren't many people selling them.  My next question is can NGC annotate the serial number on the slab?

4 minutes ago, johnj834 said:

My next question is can NGC annotate the serial number on the slab?

They could but they don't. I have only seen NGC put the COA # on the label twice. I think, the 2019-S ASE and the 2020 Mayflower? Both of those were one time exceptions. Unless you have # 10 or lower it usually doesn't matter.

Beautiful coins there. I think it would be well worth it to get some graded but may be too pricey for all of them. However the very limited mintage does add to the equation. I just saw my 2021 W PR70 on rare collectibles tv for $379 plus shipping and tax. I spent 110.00 getting two graded. So definitely worth it.

Personally I wouldn’t grade those. But again I think you can’t really go wrong either way. They are very nicely packaged and in a presentation case. I see no reason to change that. And even if you do sell them I don’t know that it will make that much difference. If it gets a 69 you will regret it and if it hits 70 you may get the grading cost plus a little. 

33 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Any chance you would part with one. I want to own something with a current image of Queen Elizabeth. 
send me a message if you do.

TIA

At this point I would have to get a ridiculous amount of money to part with one.  With this low mintage I have to wait until sellers are gone to see how much the value goes up. 

34 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Personally I wouldn’t grade those. But again I think you can’t really go wrong either way. They are very nicely packaged and in a presentation case. I see no reason to change that. And even if you do sell them I don’t know that it will make that much difference. If it gets a 69 you will regret it and if it hits 70 you may get the grading cost plus a little. 

Funny you say that. I was thinking about keeping one ungraded just because of the packaging. Packaging is best I've ever seen.

51 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Beautiful coins there. I think it would be well worth it to get some graded but may be too pricey for all of them. However the very limited mintage does add to the equation. I just saw my 2021 W PR70 on rare collectibles tv for $379 plus shipping and tax. I spent 110.00 getting two graded. So definitely worth it.

Thanks. I'll probably gamble and send three in for grading.

[Maybe one day, when thirteen of these things are graded MS-70, out of several thousand MS-69's, some anachronistic interloper like me will introduce intricate guidelines regulating the assignment of an MS-71-1.. You know, justifiable grade creep due to extraordinary circumstances.  Forget First Day of Issue.  Think First Coin on First Day of Issue.  That ought to count for something, right?  (What they'll come up with next...)

7 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Maybe one day, when thirteen of these things are graded MS-70, out of several thousand MS-69's, some anachronistic interloper like me will introduce intricate guidelines regulating the assignment of an MS-71-1.. You know, justifiable grade creep due to extraordinary circumstances.  Forget First Day of Issue.  Think First Coin on First Day of Issue.  That ought to count for something, right?  (What they'll come up with next...)

So I take it you don't like the coin.

3 minutes ago, johnj834 said:

So I take it you don't like the coin.

I am not familiar with the issue but feel, coming from an age when proofs were never graded, proof merely describing a process, grading a current one is a superfluous process.  It is boxed.  It comes with a Certificate attesting to its Authenticity.  The only thing missing is a bright-colored bow.  

1 minute ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am not familiar with the issue but feel, coming from an age when proofs were never graded, proof merely describing a process, grading a current one is a superfluous process.  It is boxed.  It comes with a Certificate attesting to its Authenticity.  The only thing missing is a bright-colored bow.  

You're not familiar with the issue but you felt the need to come on this board and spout your wisdom. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, johnj834 said:

Appreciate that. Differences in prices sold on Ebay is my main driving force. Plus I'm a snob, I like having coins graded perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MS70 V75's are selling $600-$700.  Not sure about the ungraded ones.

They were. I think they’ve have come down fairly sharply since the original mania. I got lucky and both of mine were 70. But I have no desire to part with them. That’s the only time I’ve ever considered grading a modern proof. But in that scenario I’m glad I did. 

And to be clear when I say you may get the grading fee plus a little if it goes 70 I don’t mean total price. I mean the difference in what an ungraded example and a graded one. That’s the price difference I don’t know would be justified since many people buy these in the original packaging. 

14 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

And to be clear when I say you may get the grading fee plus a little if it goes 70 I don’t mean total price. I mean the difference in what an ungraded example and a graded one. That’s the price difference I don’t know would be justified since many people buy these in the original packaging. 

I'm no professional collector. But I can tell you there are only two sellers on Ebay right now with two coins each.  That's it.  I think we're holding gold.

5 hours ago, johnj834 said:

0424211715[1].jpg

0424211716[1].jpg

0424211718[1].jpg

0424211718c[1].jpg

0424211719[1].jpg

nice looking coin, I'm starting to enjoy coins produced at overseas mints. The style, thankfully, is a nice change from U.S. coinage.

8 hours ago, johnj834 said:

I'm no professional collector. But I can tell you there are only two sellers on Ebay right now with two coins each.  That's it.  I think we're holding gold.

I don't think you'd be doing much harm by holding on to them, the price may even go up slightly. I took a look and the mintages for the silver 1oz PF HR and those coins have always been between 5-10,000. The series has been going since 2014 and they probably have a good grasp of their collector base by now, in typical mint fashion they are now expanding the rang of products to target that collector base. Not saying the coin won't increase in value but don't look for it to go through the roof, 4 figures would be pie in the sky type thinking. Typically with modern bullion coins it is best to sell in the beginning when the buying frenzy starts. Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't think you'd be doing much harm by holding on to them, the price may even go up slightly. I took a look and the mintages for the silver 1oz PF HR and those coins have always been between 5-10,000. The series has been going since 2014 and they probably have a good grasp of their collector base by now, in typical mint fashion they are now expanding the rang of products to target that collector base. Not saying the coin won't increase in value but don't look for it to go through the roof, 4 figures would be pie in the sky type thinking. Typically with modern bullion coins it is best to sell in the beginning when the buying frenzy starts. Good Luck.

I agree. The V75 ASEs are a perfect example. And they were in much higher demand. But within weeks the mania started subsiding and prices started dropping. Still valuable but the highest prices were right out of the gate. 

On 4/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Not the best place to comparison price.  I see them all over ebay for under $200.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:46 PM, johnj834 said:

At this point I would have to get a ridiculous amount of money to part with one.  With this low mintage I have to wait until sellers are gone to see how much the value goes up. 

The Perth Mint Swans mint half that many proofs (2500) in any particular year and the prices are not "ridiculous".  Take the 2016 version of the wedge tailed eagle proof coin.  Mintage of 5,000:

2016 Wedge Tailed Eagle Proof

I can purchase this coin, on ebay right now, graded PF70, for $113:

eBay Listing

So I think it all comes down to your personal preference.

Edit to add:

I see your coin is a reverse proof, but with mintage numbers the same as a proof I would imagine the value would be preffty close.  There is a 2017 PF70 on ebay right now for $159.

Edited by Morpheus1967

To be clear, I have nothing against your wedged birds of the air.  If the malady is benign, by all means let them fly and mate and take care of their brood.  If it hinders them, I trust you will seek medical care for them without delay. 

On 4/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, johnj834 said:

You're not familiar with the issue but you felt the need to come on this board and spout your wisdom. Much appreciated.

[I cannot help myself.  I am the product of an undisciplined and -- I am told, dysfunctional family which apparently has served me well.