• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IS this a conservation candidate?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Just now, dollarfan said:

Image 31 - 1878-CC $1 Morgan Dollar PCGS MS62DMPL

i am thinking of purchasing this coin but the dirty grimy look just doesnt work for me.  is this the type of dirt and tarnish that can be removed through NGC conservation?

If it were 1879-CC, yes. But is an 1878-CC worth the cost? In this instance, and judging only from the photo, I think not.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

If it were 1879-CC, yes. But is an 1878-CC worth the cost? In this instance, and judging only from the photo, I think not.

Generally speaking, I’m not big on conservations, but this one has the look that might tempt me. Being able to see only a photo makes it an impossible call for me. It all depends on what is causing that haze. Don’t rush. Take it to a REAL expert when you can get access. Don’t be rushed into any rash decision. 

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Don’t be rushed into any rash decision.

True. And...it might also be an allergic reaction or hives...so bee patient.

2 hours ago, RWB said:

True. And...it might also be an allergic reaction or hives...so bee patient.

But if the guy asking is a flippin’ flipper, he needs to turn a quick buck. If that’s what’s going on, any sympathy I could have potentially had is gone. It does seem to be an early die state strike. The scratches left of the neck are upsetting. I looked really closely at the pics and I still can’t tell if the haze is tiny chatter into the surface, or a contaminant on it. This is where the “big glass optics” may be called for.

May we know how PCGS graded it?

Edited by VKurtB

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

But if the guy asking is a flippin’ flipper, he needs to turn a quick buck. If that’s what’s going on, any sympathy I could have potentially had is gone. It does seem to be an early die state strike. The scratches left of the neck are upsetting. I looked really closely at the pics and I still can’t tell if the haze is tiny chatter into the surface, or a contaminant on it. This is where the “big glass optics” may be called for.

May we know how PCGS graded it?

this would be for my personal collection of cc morgans.  it is graded ms62 dmpl by PCGS.  i am only a collector of blast white type coins and there lies the problem for me.

10 hours ago, dollarfan said:

this would be for my personal collection of cc morgans.  it is graded ms62 dmpl by PCGS.  i am only a collector of blast white type coins and there lies the problem for me.

The MS62 grade tells me PCGS sees the haze as “micro chatter”. Although the neck area might get you there as a start. The fact that it’s DMPL (glad to see that) already tells me that conservation might not help you much on this.  It is unlikely any more “stuff” will be coming off these coins.