• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submissions
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I have 20 or so canada preconfederation tokens I wanted to submit. When I went to get the submission forms it said I had to upgrade to a paid membership. Do that mean that the free membership can no longer submit coins??...that you have to pay for the ability to submit besides the cert. fees?Ridiculous!!

3 hours ago, Crruisercharlie said:

I have 20 or so canada preconfederation tokens I wanted to submit. When I went to get the submission forms it said I had to upgrade to a paid membership. Do that mean that the free membership can no longer submit coins??...that you have to pay for the ability to submit besides the cert. fees?Ridiculous!!

Not sure if you could ever submit direct without a paid membership, at least in the last 5 years. At any rate, if you are an ANA member you can submit without a paid membership. Also, if I remember correctly, the Premium membership costs $150 dollars but comes with a $150 grading credit so as long as you submit $150 worth of coins that membership is essentially free with direct submission privileges. You can also submit through a NGC authorized dealer. Enhance your calm. 

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not sure if you could ever submit direct without a paid membership, at least in the last 5 years. At any rate, if you are an ANA member you can submit without a paid membership. Also, if I remember correctly, the Premium membership costs $150 dollars but comes with a $150 grading credit so as long as you submit $150 worth of coins that membership is essentially free with direct submission privileges. You can also submit through a NGC authorized dealer. Enhance your calm. 

You had to be a paid / premium member to submit in 2008.

I too am sure that the free level has never allowed direct submissions unless you are an ANA member.   The same is true at PCGS, you want to submit direct you pay, I think at one time you could submit to ANACS without any membership fee but I have no idea if that is true today.

You have always had to have a paid membership ever since they started allowing people other than "authorized dealers" to submit coins. (In the early years collectors could not submit coins, only authorized dealers.)  With NGC, since they are the "official" grading service of the ANA, ANA members have submission privileges, but they still have to pay for their membership in the ANA, so you still have to have a paid membership to be able to submit.

Since they started accepting submissions from persons who weren't "authorized dealers," you've had to pay for membership. (In the beginning, only approved dealers were allowed to submit coins, not individual collectors.)  Members of the ANA enjoy submission privileges at NGC because they are the "official" grading service of the ANA; nevertheless, members of the ANA must still pay for their ANA membership in order to submit to NGC.

gorilla tag

On 8/24/2023 at 12:16 AM, Louis Jarvis said:

Since they started accepting submissions from persons who weren't "authorized dealers," you've had to pay for membership. (In the beginning, only approved dealers were allowed to submit coins, not individual collectors.)  Members of the ANA enjoy submission privileges at NGC because they are the "official" grading service of the ANA; nevertheless, members of the ANA must still pay for their ANA membership in order to submit to NGC.

gorilla tag

Welcome to the Forum!  It's a good thing you chose to update this topic with a review of submissions the way they once were handled, and the way they are now.  I have long suspected filling out the forms correctly may be difficult for some resulting in frustration and silence in defeat. In that respect, an authorized dealer's assistance is invaluable.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, Conder101 said:

You have always had to have a paid membership ever since they started allowing people other than "authorized dealers" to submit coins. (In the early years collectors could not submit coins, only authorized dealers.)  With NGC, since they are the "official" grading service of the ANA, ANA members have submission privileges, but they still have to pay for their membership in the ANA, so you still have to have a paid membership to be able to submit.

...correct once again, n i see nothing wrong with the current submission process, its much more fluid than it once was, there r no free rides in todays world...hopefully one gets what one pays for n continues on their journey...i have had no issues to date (over 600 submissions) n mostly the wind is at my back n warm sunshine on my face as i continue my journey...it does facilitate if the submitter completes the submission form correctly, its not rocket science n basically tailored to a 7th grade level of comprehension....

ANA membership no longer provides free submissions to NGC as it once did. I believe there is a discount, but not free. Step up. Buy a NGC membership. Stop expecting things free. 

The one advantage of submitting with a paid membership is there is wiggle room.

There were a few coins that I submitted many years ago that it could be argued should have had the grading fee % FMV applied, rather than have them fall below an individual value limit, where there is a set fee "tier" in place.  Saved me some "serious coin," pardon the pun.

Agree with VKurtB… … … Step up.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, zadok said:

...correct once again, n i see nothing wrong with the current submission process, its much more fluid than it once was, there r no free rides in todays world...hopefully one gets what one pays for n continues on their journey...i have had no issues to date (over 600 submissions) n mostly the wind is at my back n warm sunshine on my face as i continue my journey...it does facilitate if the submitter completes the submission form correctly, its not rocket science n basically tailored to a 7th grade level of comprehension....

I remember the first coin I submitted I was very nervous and was not sure I was doing it right. After I done it the first time I found it was very easy and not as intimidating as it looked.  Just gotta make sure to follow the instructions properly. The few times I submitted coins I made sure to double and triple check everything. After doing it a couple times its a walk in the park. Also gotta make sure to have extra money in your bank account to allow for adjustments if needed. I found that out the hard way and blamed NGC for a charge they took out and found out it was my own fault. I felt really dumb for making that post about it a couple years ago. I didnt read the fine print like I should have. That was a good lesson not to go pointing fingers in haste. 

On 8/24/2023 at 6:10 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I remember the first coin I submitted I was very nervous and was not sure I was doing it right. After I done it the first time I found it was very easy and not as intimidating as it looked.  Just gotta make sure to follow the instructions properly. The few times I submitted coins I made sure to double and triple check everything. After doing it a couple times its a walk in the park. Also gotta make sure to have extra money in your bank account to allow for adjustments if needed. I found that out the hard way and blamed NGC for a charge they took out and found out it was my own fault. I felt really dumb for making that post about it a couple years ago. I didnt read the fine print like I should have. That was a good lesson not to go pointing fingers in haste. 

You submit coins for a reason. It’s not MY reason, but to each his own. What amazes me is the newer collectors who can’t wait to submit low value coins. What the ….? They have no idea what their coins are, and even less of an idea how much it costs. Submitting coins is NOT the numismatic equivalent of getting your first “big boy pants”. It’s not a rite of passage. The actual MAJORITY of coins submitted have NO BUSINESS being submitted at all. Yep, over 50%. Trust me, management of the big firms are LITERALLY laughing at collectors who submit low value coins. Yes, I get the exception for Registry Sets. Again, not my thing, but I get it. So do the firms. It’s brilliant marketing / scamming. My go to home for modern coins is Dansco albums. Only when a coin has no Dansco hole, does it become a slabbing candidate. I have an album and a small box of slabs for most modern series, like Kennedy halves. The major varieties are in NGC slabs in an NGC slab box, and everything else is in the brown Dansco. I have no need to compare my Kennedies with someone else’s. 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, VKurtB said:

You submit coins for a reason. It’s not MY reason, but to each his own. What amazes me is the newer collectors who can’t wait to submit low value coins. What the ….? They have no idea what their coins are, and even less of an idea how much it costs. Submitting coins is NOT the numismatic equivalent of getting your first “big boy pants”. It’s not a rite of passage. The actual MAJORITY of coins submitted have NO BUSINESS being submitted at all. Yep, over 50%. Trust me, management of the big firms are LITERALLY laughing at collectors who submit low value coins. Yes, I get the exception for Registry Sets. Again, not my thing, but I get it. So do the firms. It’s brilliant marketing / scamming. My go to home for modern coins is Dansco albums. Only when a coin has no Dansco hole, does it become a slabbing candidate. I have an album and a small box of slabs for most modern series, like Kennedy halves. The major varieties are in NGC slabs in an NGC slab box, and everything else is in the brown Dansco. I have no need to compare my Kennedies with someone else’s. 

The more Ive been learning lately the more of mines been going to albums. Ive been buying a few raw here lately trying to put some albums together. I bought a Dansco for Franklin halves while back. Gonna try to build a BU set. Same with quarters and a few other moderns. Ive been putting together a few sets of slabbed coins also. Its been close to a couple years since I submitted one. It was a 1878 S Morgan that had some nice toning and drawbench marks on it. I really liked it and wanted to slab it. It came back MS65. I got a real deal on it when I bought it so it actually done great value wise if I ever sell it. Here lately Ive been more into buying raw coins for my albums. I had a couple I was gonna submit at one time but they ended up in the albums instead. I done decided its gonna be something worthy before I submit anything else. When I first started I submitted a couple eagles because I thought thats what your supposed to do. I bought into the internet hype at first. Now I see theres really no point in submitting bullion. Espically since Im just hanging on to mine. I like it better in the OGP. I know ill never know near as much as most people on the forum but Im learning more about what and what not deserves to be graded and its been a while since I sent any in. Im still gonna buy coins in slabs if its coins I need for my sets, like, and can get a good deal on but, all my raw coins are going to albums now. Ive got a couple raw ones that would grade pretty high and are much nicer than the same dates I have in slabs but, I think Im just gonna keep them in my albums instead.  If I get a good deal on something worthy Ill probably send it in but, I dont see myself sending anything in anytime soon.

Edited by Hoghead515
Meant to say 1878 S instead of 79S

There are so many slabbed coins out there. If I can't get a coin all ready graded in a holder close to raw price, I just wait a while. It will turn up some time close to my pocketbook price. And yes I still get raw coins for the folders when I can.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, zadok said:

....its not rocket science n basically tailored to a 7th grade level of comprehension....

...I d k... judging by the clipped replies of some (and the unintelligible rants of others) participation is not what it ought to be... then again, maybe if I stayed off of it, more often... 🤣

On 8/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Trust me, management of the big firms are LITERALLY laughing at collectors who submit low value coins...

...all the way to the bank. 🤣

On 9/4/2023 at 5:41 AM, Conder101 said:

That was one of the reasons why it was originally authorized dealers only, the dealers could weed out the coins that shouldn't be submitted  thereby saving the collectors some money, and the graders from wasting time on them.  But no the collectors HAD to be able to do their own submissions much to the great profit for the TPG's.

Part of the problems today is that there is so much emphasis on the fact that coins need to be graded to have any value that newbies seem to think it is something that HAS to be done with every coin.

To EVERYONE ON HERE: If you believe as Conder101 suggests here, you are wrong. It’s okay to be wrong. I am rather often. But if you’re REPEATING this error, you’re spewing disinformation. Stop it. Only truly exceptional coins need to be encapsulated. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, VKurtB said:

To EVERYONE ON HERE: If you believe as Conder101 suggests here, you are wrong. It’s okay to be wrong. I am rather often. But if you’re REPEATING this error, you’re spewing disinformation. Stop it. Only truly exceptional coins need to be encapsulated. 

I think Conder was trying to make the same point Kurt.

On 9/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, Conder101 said:

Part of the problems today is that there is so much emphasis on the fact that coins need to be graded to have any value that newbies seem to think it is something that HAS to be done with every coin.

He saying the same thing, you do not need to grade every coin.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:41 PM, J P M said:

I think Conder was trying to make the same point Kurt.

He saying the same thing, you do not need to grade every coin.

But the lie often gets repeated here, either implicitly or explicitly.