• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaned or Polished?

10 posts in this topic

Well, I think I made my first mistake purchase. Luckily I only paid $38 for this coin. I bought this coin a few days ago but I didn’t notice it at the time. The lighting wasn’t too good in there and the guy had other coins labeled as problem coins. This barber dime wasn’t labeled as cleaned like a couple were. Upon looking at the coin when I got home it looks to me like it has been polished or cleaned. I think I’m going to stick to slabbed coins for the time being. 

CE5B089A-0C61-4544-8837-F551A9FDEB17.jpeg

8F335E69-B447-4754-B516-4770C993190C.jpeg

Grant,

It’s happened to a lot of us. Buying via picture is always tough, but a necessity in today’s world. In order to answer your question can you get a few more sharp pics and maybe with a little light? I have a suspicion you are correct on the polished part but it’s hard to tell for sure from these photos. 

26 minutes ago, proud potato said:

wait whats the problem?

Coins that have been noticeably cleaned and/or polished are “details” coins. In other words they are considered altered/damaged. If you send them in for grading it will get a details grade. 

Moral of the story is don’t clean coins. 

2 hours ago, Grant Gerlinger said:

Well, I think I made my first mistake purchase. Luckily I only paid $38 for this coin. I bought this coin a few days ago but I didn’t notice it at the time. The lighting wasn’t too good in there and the guy had other coins labeled as problem coins. This barber dime wasn’t labeled as cleaned like a couple were. Upon looking at the coin when I got home it looks to me like it has been polished or cleaned. I think I’m going to stick to slabbed coins for the time being. 

CE5B089A-0C61-4544-8837-F551A9FDEB17.jpeg

8F335E69-B447-4754-B516-4770C993190C.jpeg

Don't feel bad my friend. My first 2 purchases I ended up with cleaned Morgan dollars. A combined price if over $120. Wish I'd researched more before I started buying. I learned from my mistake to not get in a hurry.