• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter production

15 posts in this topic

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. San Francisco's last year to produce quarters was 1954 until 1969 when they began to produce them for mint sets only. Are they still not producing quarters in San Francisco? 

So any quarters with an S mint mark after 1954 are from broken mint sets only. 

9 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. San Francisco's last year to produce quarters was 1954 until 1969 when they began to produce them for mint sets only. Are they still not producing quarters in San Francisco? 

they still make proofs. I'm not sure about business strikes. I think they make a few cause I got a set. 

Edited by Hoghead515

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

I think they still make proofs. They don't make business strikes no more I don't think. 

They did, however, make silver bicentennial coins in 1976 though, right? 

1 minute ago, Sharann said:

They did, however, make silver bicentennial coins in 1976 though, right? 

I'm not sure about that. They may have. I don't know enough to answer that question. Still in the learning process. 

I got a set of 2020 s  in ms67.  I don't know how many they produce each year. I bought that set while back. I'm not sure of the more modern history. I've not researched it yet. I'm still researching the 1800s and early 1900s. 

14 minutes ago, Sharann said:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/s-mint-quarters-from-us-mint-bring-premiums.html

I received this Today in change after flying in from Florida...I got excited, thought it was a "W" it is San Fran 

(and that's Perfectly Fine with me )

I collect the unc. "S" quarter for 2015 and have them in U.S. Mint wrapped rolls, purchased from the mint. They are not Silver and neither is the one in photos.

16169031837121085920351.jpg

IMAG3772_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I received this Today in change after flying in from Florida...I got excited, thought it was a "W" it is San Fran 

(and that's Perfectly Fine with me )

I collect the unc. "S" quarter for 2015 and have them in U.S. Mint wrapped rolls, purchased from the mint. They are not Silver and neither is the one in photos.

16169031837121085920351.jpg

IMAG3772_1.jpg

That's a cool find. 

I have a 2020-S PCGS MS65 Salt River Bay NP Quarter. I had got a roll of them from the U.S. Mint last year. I thought it would grade higher. Only quarter out of that roll that I sent in for grading because almost all of them were spotted and scratched. Ive got better coins in pocket change. Lesson learned.

43 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I have a 2020-S PCGS MS65 Salt River Bay NP Quarter. I had got a roll of them from the U.S. Mint last year. I thought it would grade higher. Only quarter out of that roll that I sent in for grading because almost all of them were spotted and scratched. Ive got better coins in pocket change. Lesson learned.

That's a hard lesson. 

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

It's confusing.

1954 was the last year for production for circulation with an S mintmark.

The mint was shut down for quarter production from 1955 to 1964.

From 1965 to 67 San Francisco  struck quarters for circulation but used no mintmark.  There is no way to identify which quarters for these years were S mint coins.

From 1968 to 2011 has made no circulation quality clad quarters.

Since 2012 San Francisco has struck about 1 to 1.5 million circulation quality clad quarters for each ATB design.  these were made for sale to collector in rolls and bags and were not released into circulation.

In 1975 the S mint struck circulation quality 40% silver Bicentennial coins.

That is all the circulation quality coins.

From 1968 to date San Francisco has struck clad proof quarters

In 1975 they struck 40% silver Bicentennial Proof quarters.

Since 1992 they have struck 90% silver proof quarters.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Apparently I am not the only person who was confused. I read several different articles about it and could never come to any type of conclusion based on them. They were all a little different. I'll definitely have to save your response to remember all that, at first anyway. I suppose, so to speak, the queen bee of mints is San Francisco (aside from West Point) and Denver and Philly are the worker bees 😂

Anyway, thank you again for the information and for going through the trouble to explain it thoroughly. 🙂