• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 half dollar
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Possible but not very likely.  

A 40% silver 1967 half is made from 80% silver 20% copper outer layers clad to a 21.5% silver 78.5% copper core.  Sometimes, the core can tone to a similar color as the outer layers and appear to be a solid alloy.  Weighing it on an accurate scale should tell you.  A 90% planchet should weigh 12.50 grams +/- 0.259 gms, while a 40% planchet should be 11.50 +/- 0.40 grams.

9 hours ago, TQJ said:

Is it possible for there to be a 1967 90% silver half dollar?

No. US Mints stopped making 90% blanks in 1965. The 40% clad material was bought in strips ready for blank cutting.

Thanks guys. I am not a coin collector. My mother past away and left me these hoards of coins. I have about 4 gallons of half dollars and a gallon of Eisenhower dollars.

I just didn't want to cash them in without looking first. That 1967 looked all silver from the edge but as oldhoopster stated it is probably faded. I have picked out

all the 1964's based on the look and that is all I really know to do. Uhg, overwhelming.  Thanks again!

TQJ,

To help simplify keep any of the halves minted in 1964 or earlier. These will be 90% silver. 

Keep 1965-69 halves. These will be 40% silver. These can look very much like the 90% so that’s probably what made you think is was that  

Keep any Ike dollars with an S mint mark. Those are 40% silver. 

The remainder unless something looks to be in high grade probably not worth a lot of your time. High grade defined as having very few nicks/dings and  no wear from circulation. 

Hope this helps. There are tons of varieties and such but probably not worth the time it would take to learn them all. 

Woods, Thank you so much this is exactly the info I needed. I will separate your recommendations and wrap them silver content, year ect. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again.

Todd

2 hours ago, Woods020 said:

TQJ,

To help simplify keep any of the halves minted in 1964 or earlier. These will be 90% silver. 

Keep 1965-69 halves. These will be 40% silver. These can look very much like the 90% so that’s probably what made you think is was that  

The remainder unless something looks to be in high grade probably not worth a lot of your time. High grade defined as having very few nicks/dings and  no wear from circulation. 

Hope this helps. There are tons of varieties and such but probably not worth the time it would take to learn them all. 

7 hours ago, RWB said:

No. US Mints stopped making 90% blanks in 1965. The 40% clad material was bought in strips ready for blank cutting.

[Respectfully, your comment puts us all in the cross-hairs of that young fellow who inquired as the whether his 1943 coin was a copper cent and received a one-line response from the Mint director stating none were authorized, dashing his hopes.  I think the best way we should approach this is to say it is improbable but highly unlikely.  The quickest determinant is the presence of that distinct copper core -- but it is not conspicuous on every clad half dollar.]

3 hours ago, Woods020 said:

TQJ,

Also found this, is this just a dirty nickle?

20210321_194520.jpg

5 minutes ago, TQJ said:

Also found this, is this just a dirty nickle?

20210321_194520.jpg

Yes sir it appears to just be toning/tarnish/oxidation.... 1964 is a common year and from the little I can see it is circulated so not worth much more than face value. If you want to keep these to start collecting or for sentimental reasons this would be good. But monetarily not worth anything extra. 

Also as you find things, members are very much here to help but kind of picky on what is needed to do so. If you find things of interest post a separate topic for each, and include pictures of the full coin both front and back. Cropped as close as possible and as clear as possible. 

3 minutes ago, TQJ said:

Will do. You are very knowledgeable. I found the right guy. 

Thanks again!

I’m a dunce. The real smart guys will answer the hard questions. But glad to help