• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have I got here?

10 posts in this topic

To answer your question: plating may add a touch more weight or a lot more, depending on the type and amount of the plating material. In this case, though, I don't think your coin has been plated. I think it has just reacted with something that has caused it to tone a bit. Like copper, brass, and silver, copper-nickel can tone in multiple colors. Your coin weighs slightly below the average of 5.67 grams, but the tolerance is .227 grams, so it is within specs.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Which food group does that represent?

Vitamins and minerals.

Yes a plated coin will weigh more.  The problem is you have no idea what it actually weighed before it was plated.  You can't go by the spec weight because every coin has an allowed RANGE of weight.

Edited by Conder101

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

You can't go by the spec weight because every coin has an allowed RANGE of weight.

For those deep into organic stuff, this means that coins are "Free Range" - at least inside their enclosure - and remain free range even when plated. ;)

5 minutes ago, RWB said:

For those deep into organic stuff, this means that coins are "Free Range" - at least inside their enclosure - and remain free range even when plated. ;)

Free range coins are seen here quite often, aka road kill, and some think they’re error coins. The only error is theirs.