• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advise needed for mint mark error
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Sent a 1878 S Morgan dollar under mint error category. Got graded as 63* on the slab. Can identify from picture that S mint mark is clearly not vertically symmetrical ( Upper half of S is broken or tilted clockwise downward).

It was not captured on the slab because I categorised wrongly or the non symmetrical mint mark is considered normal?

Appreciate very much on inputs on this matter. Thank you.

F69AB444-1C27-484C-8AA0-727759A09F0E.thumb.jpeg.530185a3b917b9751b157a43c8e21486.jpeg

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Ottobahn said:

Sent a 1878 S Morgan dollar under mint error category. Got graded as 63* on the slab. Can identify from picture that S mint mark is clearly not vertically symmetrical ( Upper half of S is broken or tilted clockwise downward).

It was not captured on the slab because I categorised wrongly or the non symmetrical mint mark is considered normal?

Appreciate very much on inputs on this matter. Thank you.

F69AB444-1C27-484C-8AA0-727759A09F0E.thumb.jpeg.530185a3b917b9751b157a43c8e21486.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

I do not believe there is any such error recognized. You cannot merely “make up an error” on the fly. 

“That’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works.”

Edited by VKurtB

I think Morpheus is right. It looks like what ever made the line of marks below the wreath also hit the tops of the "D" and "O," and possibly the "E," and also took out the bottom of the mint mark. I don't think this one is a mint error.

Nice job on the photo, by the way.

Edited by Just Bob

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I concur; the mintmark took a hit and was pushed out of shape. That's the normal S for 1878-S and 1879-S Reverse of 78 dollars. 

The object lesson here, as it has been forever, that it is simply not good enough for a coin to be "different" from others. That does not necessarily make it collectible or valuable. Many many new collectors get tripped up by this basic principle. Errors and varieties are due to VERY SPECIFIC CAUSES, and unless you have those causes, it's really a big nothingburger. I continue to be astounded how many people miss this very simple fact.