• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With the virus dying down and states opening -- what coin show is top on your list?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

That 1918 Spanish Flu.

If I can:  'Spanish Lady' * didn't just "die out".  1918-1920 full blown then people tried to return to normal AFTER 1920 but some still got sick, still died but many became immune for years afterward.  In 2009 a variant of Spanish Lady, this time called 'Swine Flu' because the 'EXPERTS' thought it came from pigs came back and ravaged the population.  However, like today, we were better off scientifically than those unfortunates in 1918.  Thanks for your comment.

* influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2, H2N1, H3N1, H3N2, and H2N3. Swine influenza virus.

Edited by Alex in PA.

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

If I can:  'Spanish Lady' * didn't just "die out".  1918-1920 full blown then people tried to return to normal AFTER 1920 but some still got sick, still died but many became immune for years afterward.  In 2009 a variant of Spanish Lady, this time called 'Swine Flu' because the 'EXPERTS' thought it came from pigs came back and ravaged the population.  However, like today, we were better off scientifically than those unfortunates in 1918.  Thanks for your comment.

Again, this was a PBS documentary on the 1918 Spanish Flu.  Probably "American Experience."

I'm sure they glossed over stuff but the gist of the piece at about the 3/4 mark was that just as the virus was raging out of control (in some areas, like Philadelphia), it suddenly took a big downturn.  Let me see if I can find it online.

EDIT:  It's not available for streaming on the PBS website and I can't find it online.  I'll keep looking and also it may re-run again on PBS in coming weeks/months.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

this was a PBS documentary on the 1918 Spanish Flu. 

Sorry I missed that but I will try to watch it.  Three of my father's sisters (long before I was born) ages 18,16,12 died during that pandemic.  

2 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Sorry I missed that but I will try to watch it.  Three of my father's sisters (long before I was born) ages 18,16,12 died during that pandemic.  

Terrible....where did they live ?  That flu killed everybody, not just the very old and very young. 

The website says it first aired 2010 but I distinctly recall looking at the copyright at the end and it was 1998 or 1999.  That would also be 90 years after The Flu and some of the children at that time were in their 80's, not 90's, in the documentary.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

This may be what you are looking for 

PBS American Experience Season 10 Episode 5 Influenza 1918 (and you were right copyright was 1998)

Unfortunately PBS no longer has broadcast rights.  The DVD is available for purchase, cheapest is a copy on ebay for about $17.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

This may be what you are looking for PBS American Experience Season 10 Episode 5 Influenza 1918 (and you were right copyright was 1998)  Unfortunately PBS no longer has broadcast rights.  The DVD is available for purchase, cheapest is a copy on ebay for about $17.

Yup, good find Conder. (thumbsu

It was very good, but I'll wait for another free airing.  I don't understand how PBS no longer has broadcast rights -- unless they want to sell DVDs.  It was THEIR program and this isn't like "The Wonder Years" and the song copyright fiasco.

Maybe they're selling a bunch of the DVDs because of the Covid tie-in and don't want to run it again on TV or online.  Dunno.........oh well.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/14/2021 at 6:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Again your not well informed, two years ago there was a minor outbreak of Measles in New York, if I remember correctly it was thought to be caused mostly by the children of anti-vaccers who had not had those children vaccinated, although I'm not sure if that was ever proven or not.  However at that time it was discovered that some adults who had been vaccinated tested showing no immunity and adults over the age of 50 should consider getting a booster shot because the immunity had waned in some adults.   So yes in some cases the immune system can lose effectiveness over time.

Not to get into a lot of this other stuff in the thread, but it's known that the measles shots given in the US from about 1980 to 1986 were not effective and didn't convey lasting immunity.  As a result, all of my cohort SHOULD have gotten new sbots - A fact I didn't learn until about 2018/2019 when the US and Texas were having a bit of a measles outbreak. So my wife and I finally got new MMR shots a couple of years ago when we found this out when a screen of my wife's (pregnant) blood showed she had no measles resistance, and they couldn't give it to her until after she gave birth.

Edited by Revenant

On 3/14/2021 at 7:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Fortune cookie wisdom, there is zero science to suggest that wearing a face diaper has had any affect at all.   Its just this type of rampart misinformation that spreads false fears, wearing a mask may have had some effect but by the same token it may have been a zero factor.   Its just as likely that the lack of interpersonal contact (and false covid positive tests for other covid virus's like the seasonal influenza) is the real reason that those incidence rates have been lower.  If you have access to a real study done to show the effectiveness of a cloth diaper (not studies on N95 masks, those are real) please share those; I would love to read one.

Again your not well informed, two years ago there was a minor outbreak of Measles in New York, if I remember correctly it was thought to be caused mostly by the children of anti-vaccers who had not had those children vaccinated, although I'm not sure if that was ever proven or not.  However at that time it was discovered that some adults who had been vaccinated tested showing no immunity and adults over the age of 50 should consider getting a booster shot because the immunity had waned in some adults.   So yes in some cases the immune system can lose effectiveness over time.

Specifically the hasidic jewish community is "anti-vax" due to religious rules, I am led to believe, and New York has a large population. There are other ethnic diasporas as well. That there would be a "vaccine failure" in NYC is not a big surprise.

As for the original topic, I am looking to go "all in" for the ANA World's Fair of Money at Rosemont, Illinois this year. I HOPE and EXPECT to be vaccinated fully by then. Those that are not vaccinated need to be specifically invited to NOT attend. "Take the jab or stay home."

Edited by VKurtB

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

As for the original topic, I am looking to go "all in" for the ANA World's Fair of Money at Rosemont, Illinois this year. I HOPE and EXPECT to be vaccinated fully by then. Those that are not vaccinated need to be specifically invited to NOT attend. "Take the jab or stay home."

Is Rosemont just outside of Chicago ?  O'Hare ?

When you think about it, we have 3 Big Shows on the East Coast (FUN), Central (ANA), and West Coast (Long Beach).  Nice diversity ! xD

59 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is Rosemont just outside of Chicago ?  O'Hare ?

When you think about it, we have 3 Big Shows on the East Coast (FUN), Central (ANA), and West Coast (Long Beach).  Nice diversity ! xD

Yup, one exit from O’Hare on the CTA Blue Line.

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yup, one exit from O’Hare on the CTA Blue Line.

Eventually I want to goto ANA and Long Beach.  For now, given my resource$$$, locals, regionals, and FUN is enough. 

4 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Eventually I want to goto ANA and Long Beach.  For now, given my resource$$$, locals, regionals, and FUN is enough. 

Budget for a five day show. Hotels one more Blue Line exit from Rosemont toward downtown provide some savings.

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

"Take the jab or stay home."

😂  My understanding of this pandemic is with or without the vaccine. -- there are so many variants to the virus and varieties and errors to the vaccines developed thus far -- that you will still have to wear a mask.  On a side note, I cannot recall the last time there was a coin show in New York City and that's probably why I have never been to one.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

😂  My understanding of this pandemic is with or without the vaccine. -- there are so many variants to the virus and varieties and errors to the vaccines developed thus far -- that you will still have to wear a mask.  On a side note, I cannot recall the last time there was a coin show in New York City and that's probably why I have never been to one.

Easier to have it in the 'burbs.

But the NY International Coin Show (Waldorf ?) is held in Manhattan.  But that's a pricey niche show.

5 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

On a side note, I cannot recall the last time there was a coin show in New York City and that's probably why I have never been to one.

New York International was held in 2019 and I believe 2020 as well (2021 was canceled)

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

New York International was held in 2019 and I believe 2020 as well (2021 was canceled)

Yes, correct on all counts, but it is at the large hotel right next to Grand Central Station on 42nd St. Grand Hyatt Manhattan, 109 E. 42nd. If your thing is world coins, medieval, or ancient, or even great educational seminars and live auctions, there is no better show.

Edited by VKurtB

12 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am not surprised that the New York City perspective on the virus is like this. Population density seems to be destiny. I’ll tell you this. In rural Alabama, seeing people outdoors with a mask on is becoming a rarity. They whip it out to go into shops.

Yes, they just got in the 2020 show by a few weeks.  It was right after FUN 2020 because I was still worn out from that show and trip so I didn't get into NYC for 1-day to see the NY International Show.

14 hours ago, VKurtB said:

If your thing is world coins, medieval, or ancient, or even great educational seminars and live auctions, there is no better show.

That's true, since CICF died there is nothing even close.  Never made NY International, but I used to do CICF every year.

14 hours ago, VKurtB said:

In rural Alabama, seeing people outdoors with a mask on is becoming a rarity. They whip it out to go into shops.

Same in rural Indiana, and a lot of them don't put them on for the shops anymore.  My father and I go out for breakfast Sunday mornings and other than the employees we are the only ones with masks. And the restaurant is full.  I go to a local VFW for fish frys during Lent, dozens of people in there, no masks.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, Alex in PA. said:

* influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2, H2N1, H3N1, H3N2, and H2N3. Swine influenza virus.

WHY IT'S CALLED THE SPANISH FLU...

IN 1918, WITH THE WORLD WAR RAGING, NONE OF THE COMBATANTS WAS WILLING TO LET THE OTHERS KNOW THAT THE FLU WAS SPREADING THROUGH ITS ARMY, POTENTIALLY DECIMATING ITS TROOPS.  BUT IN MAY, WHEN THE VIRUS REACHED SPAIN, WHICH WAS NOT A PARTICIPANT IN THE CONFLICT, AND THE KING WAS STRICKEN, THERE WAS NO SUCH RETICENCE.  HE SURVIVED THE ILLNESS (AS DID WOODROW WILSON) AND EVER AFTER IT WAS KNOWN AS THE SPANISH FLU.

-AM/METRO, MARCH 23, 2021