• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 U.S. Proof Set

25 posts in this topic

I have been googling info and images of older proof sets.  I see 70's 80's and later, 1 around 1950 but nothing more from the 50's and not much from the 60's.  Are these hard to find?

proof1.JPG

proof2.JPG

You can find them they are not that unique.  This one happens to be removed from its original government packaging (OGP) and placed in what looks to be a capitol plastics holder or the likes.  Whatcah got is  about 25 - 30 dollars depending on who you get it from.  One a side note Proof coins are absolutly lovely to collect.

My understanding is there's a break in value after 1964, which makes sense for a couple of reasons, notably that's the last year of 90% silver. There are plenty of exceptions where later proof sets have some variation or other factor in this or that coin, and some that are just a little scarcer, but a look at the price guide in Coin Values tells me 1964 is the edge of the table. Older proof coins get rather spendy, but in some cases not quite as much as one might imagine for their great rarity.

13 minutes ago, Kath13 said:

Rummy, thanks.  I guess the previous owner of my set wanted to make it look more official.

JKK.  Interesting. Thanks.

It wasn't a rare practice. When I was seven and interested in coins, my folks got me a birth year proof set (63). It was also in one of the after-market plastic holders. In fact I never realized it wasn't sealed up until sometime in my adult years.

I thank when I got my set it cost some where around $60 and the one in after market holders were $5 less.  I have OGP proof sets form 1956. You can buy 1968 - 1999 sets for under $15 a set.( even Mile sales 1965 -2008 all for $399 LOL) I think the 2012 cost a lot more because not a lot was made. I thank proof sets are beautiful and reasonable coin to collect, 

24 minutes ago, Kath13 said:

You all have been so helpful!  This seems like a great place.  :smile:

It really is! There is an abundance of knowledge within this forum and their willingness to share it publicly is unfathomable. I am grateful to have found these people and consider them all my friends. 

The older sets are real hard to come by around where I live I have also been hunting. I have to say the members here are all very helpful and knowledgeable.  You could not ask for a nicer group of people.  

I'm a newbie but IMHO you should "Break up" your proof set since the coins are not in the original government packaging and send them in to be graded as individual PROOF COINS since they could be worth more money in that way (depending on what grade each coin receives) compared to being just a complete proof set. I recently bought the 1981 S type 1 proof set  (which has a book value of $10.00 - $12.00) in the original government packaging and I'm leaning towards doing that  unless someone here with more collecting expertise advises me not to do so. I'm not looking to sell any of the coins in my small collection but it never hurts to have them graded should I decide to do so.

Edited by Follis

I am extremely new and thought about doing that at first also. However, after being on this forum for a hot minute, I have learned that spending 300+ dollars on having them graded is probably not the wisest decision, especially when the same mint set is available online for around $60. But, hopefully, they will grade well for you and you will come out ahead. Good luck! 

For them to be of any  real value they would need to be "Cameo" proof which i do not see contrast on your set.  the cameo looks more frosted setting in a  mirror like field.   While high grade none proofs will carry premiums It isn’t likely that these while removed from the OGP will garner  68 or 69 grade to cover your cost. which would be about $35 a coin.  break down $22 for grading, $6 for shipping plus insurance, and shipping and insurance for the return at registered mail rates.  the hope that helps in making your decision.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, Sharann said:

It really is! There is an abundance of knowledge within this forum and their willingness to share it publicly is unfathomable. I am grateful to have found these people and consider them all my friends. 

Just wait for our invoice. 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:06 AM, Follis said:

I'm a newbie but IMHO you should "Break up" your proof set since the coins are not in the original government packaging and send them in to be graded as individual PROOF COINS since they could be worth more money in that way (depending on what grade each coin receives) compared to being just a complete proof set. I recently bought the 1981 S type 1 proof set  (which has a book value of $10.00 - $12.00) in the original government packaging and I'm leaning towards doing that  unless someone here with more collecting expertise advises me not to do so. I'm not looking to sell any of the coins in my small collection but it never hurts to have them graded should I decide to do so.

It never hurts until you consider how much it costs. Only truly exceptional coins should be graded. 

Edited by VKurtB

17 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Just wait for our invoice. 

LOL, how can you put a price on such priceless information? Thank y'all for all you do 👍😁

Edited by Sharann