• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Welcome!

It is impossible to tell much from your photo. However, if those scratches are in the coin and not the holder then no it isn’t a MS69. MS70 is literally the perfect coin, with no blemishes under magnification. Most of us, me included, can rarely tell the difference in an MS69 and MS70 because it is a minor defect somewhere in the coin. With that said an MS69 coin is darn near perfect except for a minute blemish. 

Are you certain it is the coin scratched and not the slab?

Just now, Woods020 said:

Welcome!

It is impossible to tell much from your photo. However, if those scratches are in the coin and not the holder then no it isn’t a MS69. MS70 is literally the perfect coin, with no blemishes under magnification. Most of us, me included, can rarely tell the difference in an MS69 and MS70 because it is a minor defect somewhere in the coin. With that said an MS69 coin is darn near perfect except for a minute blemish. 

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

Welcome!

As best I can tell, it looks like it's the coin, this is the photo from the NGC registry file. I'm a little surprised as I thought MS 69's wouldn't have visible to the naked eye scratches like this.  

10 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Assuming the marks are on the coin I would not like it at that grade myself and would return if possible.

It's disappointing but returning is probably what I will be doing. Thanks for your help.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

According to this article

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/grading-mint-state-coins-4129278

bag marks can be acceptable as they are mint and shipment handling marks and not wear.

Mr Bill,

1. This isn’t a bag mark. If it’s in the coin it’s a scratch. Bag marks are smaller nicks than this generally. 

2. Yes an MS coin can have bag marks, but they definitely detract from the grade. Morgan dollars are a perfect thing to study this concept. They notoriously were highly bag marked, and the size/location/severity of the marks all impact grade.

3. An MS 69 shouldn’t have bag marks. Again this is near perfection, and only minute flaws. Yes a bag marked coin can grade mid MS, but unless it was one small nick in a non prominent location no way it would be 69. However again this isn’t a bag mark. 

4. the spruce is not somewhere I would get numismatic info. If you want to review grading standards check out the ANA standards, or for free download PCGS CoinFacts app and use the photo grade tool. You will quickly see if this coin had a scratch like that it wouldn’t be a 69. 

Edited by Woods020

Any suggestions on how to determine if this is a scratch in the slab? I have looked at it from different angles and light, with magnification, really doesn't change much.  

Edited by Demark

6 hours ago, Demark said:

Any suggestions on how to determine if this is a scratch in the slab? I have looked at it from different angles and light, with magnification, really doesn't change much.  

There are probably 10's of thousands of MS69 silver eagles out there (depending on the year) to spend this much time worrying about it.  I would just return it if possible.  

7 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

According to this article

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/grading-mint-state-coins-4129278

bag marks can be acceptable as they are mint and shipment handling marks and not wear.

11 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Just bag marks from the mint

Since when are silver eagles shipped in bags?  

19 hours ago, Demark said:

You already have the solution, however for future reference.  Take your fingernail or a toothpick and gently pull it across the area where the marks are, if it "catches" or you feel bumps then the marks/scratches are on the plastic.   If you go across the area and its totally smooth then the marks are on the coin.

8 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

You already have the solution, however for future reference.  Take your fingernail or a toothpick and gently pull it across the area where the marks are, if it "catches" or you feel bumps then the marks/scratches are on the plastic.   If you go across the area and its totally smooth then the marks are on the coin.

It seems totally smooth. Just surprised that this would be graded MS69 if the scratches are on the coin. You can see the scratches even on the photo when you look up the coin on NGC's verification tool. It's a bit of a mystery, fortunately not something I will have to figure out. Thanks for the advice.