• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pretty pennies

45 posts in this topic

@Mr.Bill347 look what I found today! I don't think they are key date coins but they are so pretty! They reminded me of your new ones. I found these in a bag not yet looked through. They appear to be almost perfect, to me anyway. 

Anyway, I just wanted to show them to you because I think you are a penny (at least 1982), lover too! 

1614485851058811800862700507027.jpg

1614485902511179265213251557003.jpg

16144859372882610140913546111704.jpg

16144859725186065785603390631553.jpg

If you want a good bit of education, do some flaw hunting. Look for nicks, wear on the high points. Of significant nicks and dings, note where they are. Also look to see how fully the coins struck up. Weak? Fair? Sharp? Full? I don't think Lincs had much in the way of striking issues, but by looking at these in this way, you'll sharpen your eye for the differences that separate an MS-60 from an MS-67. And with most coins, believe you me, that's a valuable difference.

7 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice find. Pretty color to those 

Why thank you, kind sir! Your ideas and opinions are greatly appreciated. I hope you had an exemplary day and your night will be fitting as well. Cheerio! 

Just now, Sharann said:

Why thank you, kind sir! Your ideas and opinions are greatly appreciated. I hope you had an exemplary day and your night will be fitting as well. Cheerio! 

Yes ma'am you are very welcome. I've had a wonderful day. Hope you have had as well. I been putting all my certified coins in slab protectors today. I ordered a pack and it came in today. Gave me a chance to look thru all my coins. And got to do some reading as well. And take a nice little walk thru the forest to look for deer sheds. It's been a great day. I thank the good Lord for every day he gives me. 

1 minute ago, JKK said:

If you want a good bit of education, do some flaw hunting. Look for nicks, wear on the high points. Of significant nicks and dings, note where they are. Also look to see how fully the coins struck up. Weak? Fair? Sharp? Full? I don't think Lincs had much in the way of striking issues, but by looking at these in this way, you'll sharpen your eye for the differences that separate an MS-60 from an MS-67. And with most coins, believe you me, that's a valuable difference.

That sounds like a great idea. Hands on experience is the best way for me to learn anyway. I have seen, looking up different coins, etc. how much difference in value condition makes. My gosh, I saw a dime, you hear me, now a dime, 10 cents, bring $11,000.00! What?!?!  Somebody must've really thought highly of it, lol! If I had that kind of extra money, I may do it too, so... But whoever bought it may not pay as much as I do for shoes? To each his own... 

Anyway, I think that is a grand idea and I am gonna do it. Do you think taking close up pics of one of these and one a little less "shiny" and comparing them is a good way to start? 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Yes ma'am you are very welcome. I've had a wonderful day. Hope you have had as well. I been putting all my certified coins in slab protectors today. I ordered a pack and it came in today. Gave me a chance to look thru all my coins. And got to do some reading as well. And take a nice little walk thru the forest to look for deer sheds. It's been a great day. I thank the good Lord for every day he gives me. 

As we all should do! I have also had a good day. I am gonna be an Easter Bunny for a fund raiser so I had to get my costume and then I came home and found those shiny pennies, as well as a few others. So, as usual, I have nothing to complain about unless it is being unable to identify a DD and I know that it will come in time. (But as happy-go-lucky as I am, I am NOT very patient 😔). So it is much more difficult for me to not know how to do something that I want to do, than you may think. However, I do know that the more my eyes shall see, the more my eyes shall know. 

1 minute ago, Sharann said:

As we all should do! I have also had a good day. I am gonna be an Easter Bunny for a fund raiser so I had to get my costume and then I came home and found those shiny pennies, as well as a few others. So, as usual, I have nothing to complain about unless it is being unable to identify a DD and I know that it will come in time. (But as happy-go-lucky as I am, I am NOT very patient 😔). So it is much more difficult for me to not know how to do something that I want to do, than you may think. However, I do know that the more my eyes shall see, the more my eyes shall know. 

There is a whole lot to learn in this hobby. I'm finally getting to where I can identify things better and know some of what I'm looking for. I've read a few books and learned the minting process and I've learned a whole lot just reading the post on this forum. And helped to take a few guesses at some of the questions asked to see if I was right or not.  I'm learning a whole lot. You definitely will also. I can tell you really have a passion to want to learn. Your gonna be a great Easter bunny. The kids are gonna love ya. Have a wonderful night and happy hunting. Hope you find some good ones. 

mNcE60fgq5SbeZ__vEQm1ucIez8gPID8sjfJvszeMV-YwsHFf0xZBxBYmDvG0lzkufnoMT1oyE4BvYIu_Hr9GXcmhOJFhX3aX_jL8BBm-DfyqenkU_TY7ARNY5WovLi-hL9qNbqK48blVbiqkdSLqRz0mpEeunhvLKum1uw1lJNgFcHOzZ_vrZpS6YZbcQHAjFApbsFAtDSLsnG-SQ0YkiITQ6bi9cga3TtsOiBUcOxBDZWPlvZf8iB5C-dOqANwxOoAVB3tQyDhC4DLgbxZyX7VPl3oBq2M2qkNbAdrKMCELML8wNweRIq4WrmHP7IJGjsb8b1q0HlORuq9-th-8HfhUbLpLjZVcJt6WLEM38dDtOnGWKmCl07SnblppCMIIYKzSTm8l0Wj_2yYQO8UIQzJTT9aYfvyyThJi7ZsBOZ3de1PLGJ7vEdA4bTZhtD-CblSWvo5VMCFV-wHsbtAhM_xxJbac5i0yMDWdqt3s2Ulqo0xBM8DpGW7goodke6xv4NFY8qn6FJsQ483spTN2lC2hKeM_k4i2NiH3b91Mt-eeaG4v2yRoB_trD2GamqgdFtlgcNk8fwqEFHeo2mr1hmZE13FsvcOeZERaLRm54O83W6Kem4N_zt4KWTKm70zoWhCbB3wzE8dCdD2AMg-0kNAjrN-vqxxBIvhHe10oPFd6i9vqJp2NuB4kdw-=w678-h904-no?authuser=0

Found these morsels 13 rolls into this mess: I got 57 rolls (a few of them short of a full 50 pennies) at a sale last night for $87.30.

B99nI9tfgDvD85HKW60yIEYv7To6vPz4zAxSuePDpJkWbQL_Bmtnd2d3SFWk9ofuyr1QdazUp08tRsnVrQrqvlGn847N34Mq6ToVp-R7Nb4jMbE73-ax7baF3K_Z6w4qlCCeAo7Neb2m4NYsKZfCWlCd_g1DnuQVMOXtRPpNuj5LBi3EkyUpcfVVjH7tcFmJzo_dOXHNyTikNNscwkQUVB1ny5VZqsH62ASHIxGnzM9LplU9AbieEeIUmoORTklnDxgcg52UFX33Yh-MZLJGoQgT4O_JnuuWG66zyyz88YWISRw92EkbMg8M9Bpy1b_QyF_uDjHSy2om5T1qkPc368dS5lLk3iRT0oeYRPRWuynjl3cigtnFSboUwL3TA2AzOMKCgkRIkJ42j3zjL65Qson0Sa3VV72hAB1aHpl4x5mmk7CTDRUBobQQ5YfJ0-GySuLqjWUlNzg8jqGEMpiMFj3geEDxcjVMdrYNospZ0pRZ9gKC2GuP7OCPjGTut0ZG-CBnq3QhbxWphWTDP3Mrw0eBEvnGS8BdOr-yhWThOzyRRFAR3KRs8guL4JyjgXBLaf0jjbv0_dFl0Dq8JumBjXXhbxSZ0H-CHUXbo2Vs9lqxxpnyXUR9l8zkR9sS4OyzyOtnSJmrCU5CY62TlY-b_7mx7Qd-CE_z5AZ2uUGkEWkriySAQEsQEdKfOSGz=w678-h904-no?authuser=0

Along with THIS gem of a coin. 

JY86BH_8k_kttesYR95ihxXGD9E6OGQ55J_oHP22hBt0REpto7dpPm_MPFABorrPKhXo9Lw_gTqo6V0RbVleN71J5H8yj_odFQTWp4g1moimE87uB3Lq5Tm61NT8nYPOf6JRKTyifZBpywr4H1xz_x0tt-fXmXmPcXhQlPWgzXdAJJsFeKn28ESG0I2WC5DGqf35gLomwtSIJ_eUzypV2Gy5X4Sh5dHfzvf9oxanA-g5MVd3nQhhK1-v8EpQ2lj_pan-hZDmG9UrFljS3k4kPww1ZtWH4q-aKR9dF_Tme6_sz1zbQ0HZgeyReQTNx-Oihab1CXl6Sw58dodKhGgq5-tGbAdBjoRPD_4JeXC0L0VO7BKbkttl6wMEo8cmFtecCdxmVQr2XkSY1l6c2PgoEm6b8W-OoSSv1KZFU6OFvhPtjYRJUnETXfXZXkg1nDVYPyuKTniv_Wfv3qcF1w9D9t5sSN5q6Ab9pPlc3z2-bBepsZbylCPcrXfhEbuwRIuJ1o_PESX1sM6gJwPpBb8P8_bWOrM1hYIQEboutX2WRr2IEiIQ3YfAZBw4WRxNZhUP0SvthUf9Jc6QA7O5pdCVTE5nCxOREQsDC_PrEOzE0LwaJ5qu0smuVyhDk1jrCOvrIF31vN15zAMjPSrzFXimpu-TUCGoQm7qUzVK8ej9rCZR5NQHfrOdhSoDU1--=w640-h480-no?authuser=0

I have been separating them by 1909-1939 and 1940-1958. I have Then, I am going to hit the 1940+ bundle for "anomalies" such as the DDD and DDO marks as listed on PCGS. If the community knows of ANY other one I need to be looking for in particular, PLEASE alert me. I am taking my time with a microscope and hitting all 2,800+ pennies individually. 

I only have 1 penny in my collection....it's a 1982 something or other that is like an MS68 or MS69.....I bought it on the last day of FUN 2020 for $20 or $25.  Looked really nice, shiney and reddish.  I don't collect pennies, but compared to what I spent at FUN (getting there + staying + coins) it wasn't much $$$ so I bought it.

1 hour ago, Sharann said:

My gosh, I saw a dime, you hear me, now a dime, 10 cents, bring $11,000.00! What?!?!  Somebody must've really thought highly of it, lol! If I had that kind of extra money, I may do it too, so... But whoever bought it may not pay as much as I do for shoes? To each his own...

For people with $$$...who want the BEST registry (collection) set....it could be a penny or otherwise common coin in a super-high graded condition. 

If a coin from 10 or 20 or 30 or 50 or 75 years ago is very common in MS-65 condition....but then only has a few hundred in MS-66....and then a few dozen in MS-67....well, if that same coin exists only 1 or 2 times in MS-68, it's going to sell for alot of $$$ if it's a popular coin type and a few rich folks want the best coin for each year/mint mark.

5 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

For people with $$$...who want the BEST registry (collection) set....it could be a penny or otherwise common coin in a super-high graded condition. 

If a coin from 10 or 20 or 30 or 50 or 75 years ago is very common in MS-65 condition....but then only has a few hundred in MS-66....and then a few dozen in MS-67....well, if that same coin exists only 1 or 2 times in MS-68, it's going to sell for alot of $$$ if it's a popular coin type and a few rich folks want the best coin for each year/mint mark.

Kinda the same with fancy cars? Right? 

1 hour ago, Sharann said:

That sounds like a great idea. Hands on experience is the best way for me to learn anyway. I have seen, looking up different coins, etc. how much difference in value condition makes. My gosh, I saw a dime, you hear me, now a dime, 10 cents, bring $11,000.00! What?!?!  Somebody must've really thought highly of it, lol! If I had that kind of extra money, I may do it too, so... But whoever bought it may not pay as much as I do for shoes? To each his own... 

Anyway, I think that is a grand idea and I am gonna do it. Do you think taking close up pics of one of these and one a little less "shiny" and comparing them is a good way to start? 

$11,000 is chump change compared to some dimes. There is a top pop 1916-D Mercury dime (MS 67 FB / CAC) that I have drooled over for sale currently. Bargain price of $225,000. And sadly I’m trying to figure out how to plan to own that coin sometime in my lifetime. 

However most people will tell you numismatics is a hobby. For enjoyment. Collect what appeals to you. You can have a set of modern pennies in an album if that is what appeals to you. No they won’t be worth a ton of money, but they bring you joy when you look at them. Long story short don’t worry about being able to buy $11k coins to have a lifetime of fun in this hobby. 

40 minutes ago, JKK said:

It's fine, but you need to get over "shiny." An uncirculated penny can be a beautiful rich brown and still have full mint luster. Think less in terms of shiny and more in terms of wear and dings. Are the fields abraded? Is there wear on the high points? On the Linc obverse, that's the cheekbone, ear, jawline, and by the tie. You don't grade with a magnifying glass--at least not below MS/PR-69--but you can still use it to learn.

I had a whole essay a out this written and lost it somehow, so I am going to be very succinct this time. I used the word shiny in quotations to show that I really didn't know a better word. But I actually think the pennies you refer to above are much more eye appealing than the shiny ones. Where Lincoln contrasts with the rich brown of the field (hope that term is correct), well those are my fave. Anyway, thank you for the help and info. I promise I will not let you down! 

31 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Kinda the same with fancy cars? Right? 

Yup....buy a late-1960's Corvette with some wear and non-original parts and it's pricey but not as expensive as a super-rare ZL-1 or L88 with all-original parts and low mileage and no rust or wear. (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

$11,000 is chump change compared to some dimes. There is a top pop 1916-D Mercury dime (MS 67 FB / CAC) that I have drooled over for sale currently. Bargain price of $225,000. And sadly I’m trying to figure out how to plan to own that coin sometime in my lifetime. 

However most people will tell you numismatics is a hobby. For enjoyment. Collect what appeals to you. You can have a set of modern pennies in an album if that is what appeals to you. No they won’t be worth a ton of money, but they bring you joy when you look at them. Long story short don’t worry about being able to buy $11k coins to have a lifetime of fun in this hobby. 

I agree. As I was telling someone yesterday, I kind of like to try to figure out the story behind the coin. Since I will never know the story, it can be an ever changing ending. But yes, I totally agree, and like I said that same person may think that what I spend on storage bins is excessive and they use boxes. To each his own, that's what makes the world go round. It would be such a dull place if we were all alike 😉

4 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I used the word shiny in quotations to show that I really didn't know a better word. 

You'll learn the lingo.  We all do.  And then someone with more knowledge will correct you 5 years from now and put you in your place.  

Just like that high-school English teacher you cursed behind her back. xD

3 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yup....buy a late-1960's Corvette with some wear and non-original parts and it's pricey but not as expensive as a super-rare ZL-1 or L88 with all-original parts and low mileage and no rust or wear. 

I totally get it, well that part, now anyway. Thank you 😊

I agree. As I was telling someone yesterday, I kind of like to try to figure out the story behind the coin. Since I will never know the story, it can be an ever changing ending. But yes, I totally agree, and like I said that same person may think that what I spend on storage bins is excessive and they use boxes. To each his own, that's what makes the world go round. It would be such a dull place if we were all alike😉

If you want to know the stories behind various years and mintmarks and the origins of today's modern penny -- which I think is the same pretty much as the 1909 -- then a book on that coin (the Whitman books I think most would agree are the best) is a MUST.  They are great for beginners and intermediate collectors.  Even experts still read them, though they probably know most of that stuff if they've been collecting for years or decades.

The Annual Red Book (which has a price guide) covers ALL kinds of U.S. coins and you'll probably want at least one, but that gives only a 30,000 foot view on each coin type.  Worth having one of them at some point.  Some full-time vets here get one every year and have them going back decades.

3 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you want to know the stories behind various years and mintmarks and the origins of today's modern penny -- which I think is the same pretty much as the 1909 -- then a book on that coin (the Whitman books I think most would agree are the best) is a MUST.  They are great for beginners and intermediate collectors.  Even experts still read them, though they probably know most of that stuff if they've been collecting for years or decades.

The Annual Red Book (which has a price guide) covers ALL kinds of U.S. coins and you'll probably want at least one, but that gives only a 30,000 foot view on each coin type.  Worth having one of them at some point.  Some full-time vets here get one every year and have them going back decades.

Awesome! I will get one ordered. Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Awesome! I will get one ordered. Thanks! 

And the internet isn't a bad place to scour for information, either.  Even old friend Wikepedia has a nice read on the penny:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_cent

I sometimes scour Google and YouTube for information on Saints and other coins...most of the time, it's repeat cut-and-pastes and sometimes it's stuff that is out of date by a decade....but every now and then you find something with new information.  Of course, now that I have Roger's book on SAINTS I really don't need to do that anymore.  If anything, they're probably plagiarizing from him ! xD

9 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

And the internet isn't a bad place to scour for information, either.  Even old friend Wikepedia has a nice read on the penny:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_cent

I sometimes scour Google and YouTube for information on Saints and other coins...most of the time, it's repeat cut-and-pastes and sometimes it's stuff that is out of date by a decade....but every now and then you find something with new information.  Of course, now that I have Roger's book on SAINTS I really don't need to do that anymore.  If anything, they're probably plagiarizing from him ! xD

Yes, he informed me of some misinformation I had gotten from the internet. I sent him the link so he could set them straight. Therefore, I am a little skeptical of what I read there. I guess Wikipedia won't steer me wrong though. Lol 

Yes, he informed me of some misinformation I had gotten from the internet. I sent him the link so he could set them straight. Therefore, I am a little skeptical of what I read there. I guess Wikipedia won't steer me wrong though. Lol 

Wikepedia is just for the basics and a 30,000 foot view.  The forums and books are where you get the specific information.

You'll eventually find the threads with knowledgeable posters and experts -- even actual graders, dealers, auction house personnel, and authors (like Roger Burdette here on Saints and other numismatic history).  You'll soak up their information like I have with Roger and other Saint experts (I even saved some threads here just in case xD ). 

You read and learn...read and learn...post and learn....wash and repeat. xD

I've learned alot but still can learn so much more.  But the point is....make sure you enjoy it.  This isn't school or work, it's supposed to be FUN. (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Wikepedia is just for the basics and a 30,000 foot view.  The forums and books are where you get the specific information.

You'll eventually find the threads with knowledgeable posters and experts -- even actual graders, dealers, auction house personnel, and authors (like Roger Burdette here on Saints and other numismatic history).  You'll soak up their information like I have with Roger and other Saint experts (I even saved some threads here just in case xD ). 

You read and learn...read and learn...post and learn....wash and repeat. xD

I've learned alot but still can learn so much more.  But the point is....make sure you enjoy it.  This isn't school or work, it's supposed to be FUN. (thumbsu

I am enjoying every single minute of it. Even down to making my own pages to hold these coins. Oh I know I can get the 2 x2s but buying them hasn't taught me how to make my own, and definitely would not take as much time, lol. 

6 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I am enjoying every single minute of it. Even down to making my own pages to hold these coins. Oh I know I can get the 2 x2s but buying them hasn't taught me how to make my own, and definitely would not take as much time, lol. 

Just make sure however you store your coins is not damaging them if they are not graded/slabbed by a TPG (Third Party Grader).  Years ago, people used the Whitman Books and other albums to keep their coins.  That was OK with coins you got from change at store, but if you DID have a valuable or semi-valuable coin that was worth multiples of face value and you want to protect it from the elements and/or hands or even the chemicals in a book or plastic holder...you want to do something else.

For now, I wouldn't worry about it.  But when or if you start BUYING coins (including raw ones, not graded), you'll want to make sure you are preserving your coins correctly.

For me, anything that has a material cost I have in a slab so I don't worry about it.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

It's a bit early for you to scan auction results and stuff (maybe Ebay for now), but I was curious and went to the Heritage Auctions archives and lo and behold this was just sold in January of this year for $840,000:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1943-d-1c-struck-on-a-bronze-planchet-ms64-brown-pcgs-pcgs-82712-/a/1326-3005.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You'll need to create a login but it has lots of information on what appears to be the most expensive Lincoln cent sold by HA.  If for some reason you don't/can't login, let me know and I can always cut-and-paste the paragraphs.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

9 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's a bit early for you to scan auction results and stuff (maybe Ebay for now), but I was curious and went to the Heritage Auctions archives and lo and behold this was just sold in January of this year for $840,000:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1943-d-1c-struck-on-a-bronze-planchet-ms64-brown-pcgs-pcgs-82712-/a/1326-3005.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You'll need to create a login but it has lots of information on what appears to be the most expensive Lincoln cent sold by HA.  If for some reason you don't/can't login, let me know and I can always cut-and-paste the paragraphs.

Awe, that is so sweet of you. I will try and let you know shortly. Thank you, 🙂

13 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Awe, that is so sweet of you. I will try and let you know shortly. Thank you, 🙂

Oh, I got right on in there. Lol. So, what is so special about this cent? 

Screenshot_20210228-075528_Chrome.jpg