• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994 SP Nickel
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I been thinking really hard on getting this graded. It is a very sharp nickle. It is got beautiful toning on the reverse. The picture doesn't do it justice. It was hard to keep the glare off it from the plastic when I snapped it. The obverse has no toning at all on it. I would most definitely have it graded if the obverse were like the reverse. But I would love to hear some opinions of what you all would do if you were me. Im really trying to get you all to help talk me out of it. Lol. Its the nickle that comes in the Thomas Jefferson coin and currency set. Grade it? Or keep it in the set ? Also all the scratches are on the plastic. The coin is spotless. Thank you for any facts or opinions. I enjoy hearing from you all. Polish_20210220_091904456.thumb.jpg.541c6ebeec3adf4866cfc4b8ff0473e7.jpgPolish_20210220_085739996.thumb.jpg.820b92458e9d9c0daf3fa6df77b60abd.jpgPolish_20210220_091128196.thumb.jpg.1e56fe6a33ade8fac6a049fa1210c199.jpg

6 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

To be honest,  it's hard to tell between a 69 and a 70 from pictures. I don't think it would be feasible if it only made 69. Looks like you have a gamble on your hands.  

That's exactly what I was afraid of.  I'd probably be better off to keep it in the original packaging then.  If the value ever goes up on those sometime in the future I will break it out and send it in. I would definitely send it in if the obverse had the same toning as the reverse. I never was real big on alot of types of toning but I like the type on this particular coin. Thank you for the feedback my friend. I really appreciate it. 

I have a small hoard of these, as well as the 1997 P, and the only time I get them graded is when I save up enough coins to work out a bulk deal with NGC.  The toning is pretty similar to a few of my coins (that lovely caramel brown, usually on the reverse) - but I have had a couple really nice toned commemorative dollars (EDIT: I meant to say "from these sets" - that I'd had a couple dollars with attractive toning.)  Sent both to NGC straight from the packaging - one NGC liked, one they called AT.

Edited by stldanceartist

Doesn’t look like these grade real well according to the pop reports. I would say there is a better chance of getting a 69, which isn't worth much. 70s seem to be all over the place from $100 to $500. I would think the reverse toning would hold you down. Still a good looking coin. You know I like my nickels.

Wonder if you folded the OMP backwards so the Obv was on the inside would it tone the same as the Rev? Looks like quite a few of these have similar toning on the Rev.

Looks like about a 20% chance of you coming out ahead. If money's tight probably not worth it right now.

322996968_kkjl.thumb.png.ae80782c67acb7e84b182fc53732595a.png

Yuk! Sell prices haven't been great recently either. PCGS MS70FS SMS labels pull higher $$$, if FS is missing lower $'s. Aren't Full Steps assumed on this coin?

Untijhkijhtled.thumb.png.219a17446b68e5fc1f1d6f5002072c35.png

44 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Wonder if you folded the OMP backwards so the Obv was on the inside would it tone the same as the Rev? Looks like quite a few of these have similar toning on the Rev.

Looks like about a 20% chance of you coming out ahead. If money's tight probably not worth it right now.

322996968_kkjl.thumb.png.ae80782c67acb7e84b182fc53732595a.png

Yuk! Sell prices haven't been great recently either. PCGS MS70FS SMS labels pull higher $$$, if FS is missing lower $'s. Aren't Full Steps assumed on this coin?

Untijhkijhtled.thumb.png.219a17446b68e5fc1f1d6f5002072c35.png

I think 1987 and up, full steps are much more common. 

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

Doesn’t look like these grade real well according to the pop reports. I would say there is a better chance of getting a 69, which isn't worth much. 70s seem to be all over the place from $100 to $500. I would think the reverse toning would hold you down. Still a good looking coin. You know I like my nickels.

I figured you'd like that LemE. I know your into those nickles. I like them a whole lot also. I was very happy to have got this set. The nickle was the main reason I bought it. It is very nice looking at it in person. I like the dollar coin in the set also but not as much. My opinion I don't think the portrait of Jefferson is as attractive as portraits of him on other coins and notes. Definitely not one of my favorites. But I'm still happy to have it. Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I think I will just keep it in the original packaging and if the price ever goes up on them I may send it in. Thanks for helping talk me out of it. I been trying to talk myself down but sometimes I can't get myself to listen to me and need a little help. 

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Wonder if you folded the OMP backwards so the Obv was on the inside would it tone the same as the Rev? 

I never thought about that. I may give it a try since I decided to hold off sending it in. It may tone in a few years maybe. I noticed the reverse on the dollar is toning also and not the obverse. It wouldn't hurt nothing to try it. 

5 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I never thought about that. I may give it a try since I decided to hold off sending it in. It may tone in a few years maybe. I noticed the reverse on the dollar is toning also and not the obverse. It wouldn't hurt nothing to try it. 

It might wreck or separate the OMP, if you're planning on saving it might not want to do it.

LOL, don't get to caught up in my hairbrained ideas, I tend to think/ponder out loud sometimes. The set isn't too much, I might just pick one up and give it a go unless someone here says don't do it.

I hadn't seen this set before, I like the Dollar more than the nickel. Hmm, yep might have to pick this up.

I've yet to receive a 70 for any of them (6 69's and 2 68's, although one of those 68's was bought raw off eBay about a decade or so ago for so cheap it was worth the shot.)  I don't think any of them received a FS designation, even though they are ALL FS (with the exception of one 69 that has one of those lint/wire strikethrough errors on the steps.)  All my 1997's are FS as well, zero FS designations.

I wonder if they started adding the FS designation recently.

I've also wondered how many of my 69's would garner 70's if I resubmitted them with the ones I've picked up since my last bulk submission.  It's getting about that time again, I think, since I have 21 of the 1994's and 8 more 1997's (plus a few tubes of worthy business strikes.)

I just hate to spend that kind of money on grading fees with a potential financial crisis around the corner.  

(Obligatory "thank you, but no I'm not wanting to sell any of these matte proof Jeffs" addendum, since someone always asks.)

3 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

It might wreck or separate the OMP, if you're planning on saving it might not want to do it.

LOL, don't get to caught up in my hairbrained ideas, I tend to think/ponder out loud sometimes. The set isn't too much, I might just pick one up and give it a go unless someone here says don't do it.

I hadn't seen this set before, I like the Dollar more than the nickel. Hmm, yep might have to pick this up.

I done tried it. Lol. I just folded it right over backwards on the other side. Didn't hurt it a bit. The way the packaging is made makes it really simple to do it. If it will work 

2 minutes ago, stldanceartist said:

I've yet to receive a 70 for any of them (6 69's and 2 68's, although one of those 68's was bought raw off eBay about a decade or so ago for so cheap it was worth the shot.)  I don't think any of them received a FS designation, even though they are ALL FS (with the exception of one 69 that has one of those lint/wire strikethrough errors on the steps.)  All my 1997's are FS as well, zero FS designations.

I've also wondered how many of my 69's would garner 70's if I resubmitted them with the ones I've picked up since my last bulk submission.  It's getting about that time again, I think, since I have 21 of the 1994's and 8 more 1997's (plus a few tubes of worthy business strikes.)

I just hate to spend that kind of money on grading fees with a potential financial crisis around the corner.  

(Obligatory "thank you, but no I'm not wanting to sell any of these matte proof Jeffs" addendum, since someone always asks.)

I was almost about to ask. Lol. 

4 minutes ago, stldanceartist said:

I don’t think the proofs or SPs get FS designations.

Haha it literally happens every time I say anything about them.  Which I don't mind, they're just trying to add one to their collection too.  But I have my hoard I'm building, so I try to at least politely preface any mention of them with that disclaimer. :)

I buy these sets EVERY time I see them at a LCS.  I always sell the $2 or $1 bill (depending on year) and the silver commemorative, unless it has attractive toning.  I think I've kept one or two of each year.  Mostly I just want the nickels.

1 minute ago, Lem E said:

I don’t think the proofs or SPs get FS designations.

Mostly was just responding to Fenntucky's post above:

3 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd say by you having sent in so many mine is probably almost destined to a 69 or lower. Sounds like it's hard to get a 70. I'd probably not even try it. There's no way I could ever send in a bulk submission. It would cost me more than it be worth it on that one coin. 

Well, I'd say it would depend on your coin.  If you can look at it with a loupe and don't see ANYTHING wrong with it, maybe it would be worth it.  The coins I have that are 68's...yeah, I can see why.  Same with the 69's - there's always like one little spot, struck through grease area, etc.  Which is fine - if the coin doesn't deserve the grade, it shouldn't get the grade.

Is the FS on PCGS holders Full Steps or First Strike?

s-l1600.png.b89c5ee6e29bc9c33e28187cc09edf45.png 

I see it on PCGS coins but none on NGC. 

Just now, Lem E said:

I see it on PCGS coins but none on NGC.

If I was to speculate that is why, in part, the PCGS coins (with FS) seem to sell for more. Even more than PCGS MS70 SMS without FS.

LABELS! :frustrated:

895258718_s-l1600(9).jpg.56452423ebdf6cc4c8573cb3f526324c.jpg

Haha it literally happens every time I say anything about them.  Which I don't mind, they're just trying to add one to their collection too.  But I have my hoard I'm building, so I try to at least politely preface any mention of them with that disclaimer. :)

I buy these sets EVERY time I see them at a LCS.  I always sell the $2 or $1 bill (depending on year) and the silver commemorative, unless it has attractive toning.  I think I've kept one or two of each year.  Mostly I just want the nickels.

I was reading an article that was talking about them. Then I decided I needed to get one once I saw they were special. I think I saw it in one of the top 100 modern coins or something. Then I looked at them on Ebay. Wanted one forever. Finally found a set someone had in their personal collection. They was breaking up collection selling it all. Figured be a good chance to get one that hadn't been looked thru and culled by people searching for keepers to send in. It turned out to be very nice. There's not a single blemish on it other than the toning. 

4 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I think NGC is fs only on circs. My W proof is 70 and no fs designation.

I agree with treating the SMS coins like proofs in that if they are a 70 they have full steps.

Sorry HH kind of stepping on your thread here.

Yeah, I'd agree with the others on this - for now it's safe and sound inside the OGP.  Maybe someday in the future you'll have a grading credit or need a tenth coin or something for your minimum invoice quota and it can slide in there.  And sending in one coin for grading like that (to fill out a submission) is not too much of a sin - at least you're not the person sending in MS64 state quarters (I've seen sooooo many of those it's just like...why?  WHY?)

I didn't know they had them in the 97s till I say your post. I will have to try and work on getting one of those next. I think im starting to become a nickle collector. I really enjoy all the nickles I have pretty well

One other thought on the toning of OP's coin - 

As I look through my examples, it's interesting to see that some of them are still blast white, some of them have a light caramel color, some of them have started getting darker into a more maroon or even purple, and some of them are going blue.  ALWAYS the reverse, though.

I agree with treating the SMS coins like proofs in that if they are a 70 they have full steps.

Sorry HH kind of stepping on your thread here.

My thread is your thread to my friend. Everyone of you all are more than welcome to talk about anything you all want on my threads. I enjoy reading your alls post