• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kennedy Half Dollar

12 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SVO_Seth said:

Not sure...

When looking at the rim, do you see layers of different colored metals? Or is it consistent silver color? Not sure if the rims are in good enough shape to tell. 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Just take a Kennedy that is dated past 1970 and drop it on the counter. Silver will have a higher ting sound than the clad one. Or take a piece of toilet paper and lay it over this coin and a later date Kennedy. The silver will look white colored and the clad coin will be gray colored. .

Silver test.jpg

Now that’s an interesting trick. Learned something new tonight. And another use for toilet paper 😂

41 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Just take a Kennedy that is dated past 1970 and drop it on the counter. Silver will have a higher ting sound than the clad one. Or take a piece of toilet paper and lay it over this coin and a later date Kennedy. The silver will look white colored and the clad coin will be gray colored. .

Silver test.jpg

All the halves I have are from the 60s. I’m guessing it is a 64. 

48 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Silver test.jpg

I have been wanting to tell all the 82 Lincoln cent people the drop on the counter trick , but figured I would get in trouble. May not be that great for the coin but it is a sure fire way to tell copper from zinc. The toilet paper trick is cool. Did not know that.

1 minute ago, Lem E said:

I have been wanting to tell all the 82 Lincoln cent people the drop on the counter trick , but figured I would get in trouble. May not be that great for the coin but it is a sure fire way to tell copper from zinc. The toilet paper trick is cool. Did not know that.

It's an old Conder101 trick!

13 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Just take a Kennedy that is dated past 1970 and drop it on the counter. Silver will have a higher ting sound than the clad one. Or take a piece of toilet paper and lay it over this coin and a later date Kennedy. The silver will look white colored and the clad coin will be gray colored.

Use single ply TP -- and just a reminder -- run the test before using the TP.

;)

Also look at the coin's edge (reeds). If there is any trace of copper color, it is a clad coin. Given the wear and damage, the edge will likely be dark gray if it's 90% silver.

Edited by RWB