• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question on best way to sell this coin
1 1

6 posts in this topic

imagejpeg_0(6).thumb.jpg.babdd2eb6b878b72e6ed771932de87eb.jpgmy first question is it says ms67 and doesn't say ddo/ddr and it looks better then any other 67. so can it be regarded to upgrade and list the ddo/ddr? but if it's not going to be a higher grade would it be best to leave it in this holder? After that's done whats best way to sell? Thank you so much for your time and ideaa

No one can make a determination on a coin's condition with out seeing both sides. 67 is a very lofty grade for that coin the chances of it going higher are not in your favor. That picture is not good enough to tell if it is a DDO. It's in an older holder which some people like. If you post some better pictures of the coin (close ups, obv and rev) to better determine condition and if it is a DDO (or variety), you'll get a more comprehensive answers. Based on what you've posted I'd leave it in that holder and if you're looking to sell, Great Collections, HA or SB seem to be popular places or any number of auction houses or internet based selling platforms like ebay. Post it here in the Coin Marketplace. 

Coin does look great by the way.

There are no listed DDO or DDR's for this coin so the chances of your coin being one is, well lets just say that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than the chance that this coin is either a DDO or a DDR.   However there is no way to answer that part of your question as you only provided a photo of the obverse and that photo is not of sufficient quality to be able to comment on that side in this matter.

PCGS pop report lists 313 in the MS67 grade with 61 in MS67+ and only 3 in MS68, without better photos (closeups of both sides) it is impossible to determine if your coin has any chance at being upgraded.  last year and so far this year 5 MS67 coins crossed sold thru the major auction houses and averaged about $900, in 2020 5 MS67+ coins were auctioned and those averaged a bit over $2k.  Currently a well known dealer in Lincoln cents has two MS67's listed on his site for $900 and one MS67+ for $4,500, I think that price is overly aggressive but who knows.   This shows that from a financial standpoint it may be worth the effort to send the coin in for a regrade, I say may because the holder you have does have value to many collectors so its possible that you could sell the coin in that holder for a premium over the $900 average of the last five auctioned coins without spending anything.

If you have your heart set on having it regraded I would suggest 2 things; first forget about the DDO/DDR thing because the chances of that are too small to calculate.   Second I would only submit under the reconsideration service where the coin is given another look while the coin is in the current holder, if PCGS were to deem it worthy of an upgrade they would then remove it from the old holder and place it in a new holder with the new grade.    If you submit it under any other method either you or PCGS would remove it prior to grading and the old holder would be forever lost, if the coin did not upgrade you would receive it back in a new holder at the same grade and you will have lost any premium you could have gotten by selling in the old holder.

Somethings to keep in mind, 1909 was the first year for the Lincoln cent and because of that these were heavily horded which is why there are so many high grade examples.   This works against you from the standpoint of the possible upgrade as there are so many super nice examples that a 1909 VDB has to pretty much walk on water to reach the loft grade of MS68.   And as a lifelong Lincoln collector I will tell you that I would much rather have the coin in that holder than in a new holder, the old holder shows that the coin is stable and that nobody has messed with the surfaces which is why those old holders often bring a premium.   And I know that I'm not alone in feeling that way, many copper collectors would prefer the old holder to a new one on the flip side there are plenty of registry players that would pay for the + grade if you were able to get one.   

Edited to add:  If this were my coin I would submit it to CAC and see what they say, if you get it back with a green bean than you know that the chances of it upgrading are likely not as good as you think.   However if you were able to get a gold bean you would be able to sell the coin for a substantial premium (perhaps even more that what 67+ coins sell for) and it would cost far less than the costs to have the coin regraded. 

Edited by Coinbuf

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

There are no listed DDO or DDR's for this coin so the chances of your coin being one is, well lets just say that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than the chance that this coin is either a DDO or a DDR.   However there is no way to answer that part of your question as you only provided a photo of the obverse and that photo is not of sufficient quality to be able to comment on that side in this matter.

PCGS pop report lists 313 in the MS67 grade with 61 in MS67+ and only 3 in MS68, without better photos (closeups of both sides) it is impossible to determine if your coin has any chance at being upgraded.  last year and so far this year 5 MS67 coins crossed sold thru the major auction houses and averaged about $900, in 2020 5 MS67+ coins were auctioned and those averaged a bit over $2k.  Currently a well known dealer in Lincoln cents has two MS67's listed on his site for $900 and one MS67+ for $4,500, I think that price is overly aggressive but who knows.   This shows that from a financial standpoint it may be worth the effort to send the coin in for a regrade, I say may because the holder you have does have value to many collectors so its possible that you could sell the coin in that holder for a premium over the $900 average of the last five auctioned coins without spending anything.

If you have your heart set on having it regraded I would suggest 2 things; first forget about the DDO/DDR thing because the chances of that are too small to calculate.   Second I would only submit under the reconsideration service where the coin is given another look while the coin is in the current holder, if PCGS were to deem it worthy of an upgrade they would then remove it from the old holder and place it in a new holder with the new grade.    If you submit it under any other method either you or PCGS would remove it prior to grading and the old holder would be forever lost, if the coin did not upgrade you would receive it back in a new holder at the same grade and you will have lost any premium you could have gotten by selling in the old holder.

Somethings to keep in mind, 1909 was the first year for the Lincoln cent and because of that these were heavily horded which is why there are so many high grade examples.   This works against you from the standpoint of the possible upgrade as there are so many super nice examples that a 1909 VDB has to pretty much walk on water to reach the loft grade of MS68.   And as a lifelong Lincoln collector I will tell you that I would much rather have the coin in that holder than in a new holder, the old holder shows that the coin is stable and that nobody has messed with the surfaces which is why those old holders often bring a premium.   And I know that I'm not alone in feeling that way, many copper collectors would prefer the old holder to a new one on the flip side there are plenty of registry players that would pay for the + grade if you were able to get one.   

Edited to add:  If this were my coin I would submit it to CAC and see what they say, if you get it back with a green bean than you know that the chances of it upgrading are likely not as good as you think.   However if you were able to get a gold bean you would be able to sell the coin for a substantial premium (perhaps even more that what 67+ coins sell for) and it would cost far less than the costs to have the coin regraded. 

I can't tell anything from the images. However, there are at least two different DDO varieties. 

Here's a link to the sale of one of them: https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1909-vdb-1c-doubled-die-obverse-fs-1101-ms67-red-pcgs/a/1278-5062.s