• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New US coin business

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bubblebling said:

It is not extremely risky for me. The most I am putting in is $600. And I can pull out at any time. Some will say, $600 is not enough to buy and sell coins. They must be big dealers.

Children learning about and collecting pocket change is very risky, too, right? They should not be allowed to engage in this, right?

This is not the point several are trying to get across. In fact someone rightly suggested a great way to get into the hobby and start leaning to examine and evaluate coins is by roll hunting. Go to your local bank and get rolls of quarters since they interest you. Go through them with a critical eye and start trying to determined condition, identify errors, etc. To do this it forces you to read (grading examples, variety vista, etc.) and learn what you are looking at. 

So no children learning to collect through pocket change is not risky and is a great idea. 

A child thinking they can buy and sell coins for a profit on day one with no experience is the bad idea. 

Edited by Woods020

Hi Woods. Thank you for your advice.

That sounds like too much work to me. I don't think that I would enjoy that kind of work. Btw, I don't put much faith in "errors". Oh, I know, some error coins are worth big money. Don't get me wrong.

But on eBay, everybody has a so called error coin. The vast majority of them get no bids, either. (Rightfully.) So I'm going to just avoid error coins. Just not worth my time. And not much fun to me. Also, most collectors don't want error coins. Error coins are a specialty field. And not an easy one, neither.

Esp on eBay. Everyone thinks that they have an error coin to sell. Too much work. Too much risk.

7 minutes ago, Bubblebling said:

Hi Woods. Thank you for your advice.

That sounds like too much work to me. I don't think that I would enjoy that kind of work. Btw, I don't put much faith in "errors". Oh, I know, some error coins are worth big money. Don't get me wrong.

But on eBay, everybody has a so called error coin. The vast majority of them get no bids, either. (Rightfully.) So I'm going to just avoid error coins. Just not worth my time. And not much fun to me. Also, most collectors don't want error coins. Error coins are a specialty field. And not an easy one, neither.

Esp on eBay. Everyone thinks that they have an error coin to sell. Too much work. Too much risk.

Fair enough. Any other part of numismatics is far less work, doesn’t require a deep knowledge base, and is a much surer bet. You got me there.