• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I hide my cert #s in registry sets?
1 1

62 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice, good subtle toning and 5FS to boot. 

I'd love to see the 63, not a fan of rainbow or bullseye toning in general but I'm a sucker for a coin with a nice even kobalt blue color.

CONGRATS on the award Mike! Well done my friend...well done!

I never show the # in pics because I crop down to emphasize the coin. On the PMG side.I just scan the holder and note and post it with the number showing. I used to try photos and cropping but it was so much more work and everyone else scans with PMG so I just gave up and stopped torturing myself. 😆 

Edited by Revenant

23 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I never show the # in pics because I crop down to emphasize the coin. On the PMG side.I just scan the holder and note and post it with the number showing. I used to try photos and cropping but it was so much more work and everyone else scans with PMG so I just gave up and stopped torturing myself. 😆 

Hey Rev, nice to meet ya and thanks for the feedback. I think after all the other feedback I have received, I pretty much don’t give a s*** about hiding the cert #s anymore. My attempts to do it didn’t work anyway. I think most of my upcoming sets will be cropped as well. Still working on technique and am going to try and get some sort of photo cropping app or software or what have you. Appreciate the help. Hope 2021 is good for ya.

9 hours ago, Lem E said:

Hey Rev, nice to meet ya and thanks for the feedback. I think after all the other feedback I have received, I pretty much don’t give a s*** about hiding the cert #s anymore. My attempts to do it didn’t work anyway. I think most of my upcoming sets will be cropped as well. Still working on technique and am going to try and get some sort of photo cropping app or software or what have you. Appreciate the help. Hope 2021 is good for ya.

I need to work on my pictures also. Im going to try that app see how it works 

On 1/8/2021 at 6:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I lied to you. Its a "62"    Its hard to get a good picture of it in the package. Cant find no good lighting no where in the house. Also the light glares off the cello.   I had to take one those angle pics everyone loves so much. Its hard to tell the bluing from the pic but it is a beautiful light blue covering the whole coin. I wish you could see it in person. Ill post it in next post cause it says its to large. Im still trying to figure out how to crop photos and things like that. Sorry to hijack your thread Lemmy

49 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That's a beauty, I bet it looks really great in hand. 

It does. When I bought that set it was like a mystery box. It had never been opened. I had to tear the envelope to get it open. I fell in love with that blue nickle soon as I saw it. The Franklin has a real light pink color covering most of it. It is very light. Ill probably go in the hole on them but I'm probably gonna have them slabbed. Ill never sell them myself. My kids may one of these days. I figured even if I take a loss my kids will still have nothing in them and they will bring them a dollar or two if they need to sell. And will be protected also. The Rosie looks really nice also. No toning but very nice shape. The quarter and cent not so much. They got ugly looking spots on them that look more like milkspots on the quarter. The cent just an ugly look to it. 

Edited by Hoghead515

6 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I lied to you. Its a "62"    Its hard to get a good picture of it in the package. Cant find no good lighting no where in the house. Also the light glares off the cello.   I had to take one those angle pics everyone loves so much. Its hard to tell the bluing from the pic but it is a beautiful light blue covering the whole coin. I wish you could see it in person. Ill post it in next post cause it says its to large. Im still trying to figure out how to crop photos and things like that. Sorry to hijack your thread Lemmy

Hey my thread is your thread brother. Im just surprised I have had so much traffic on my first thread. Really cool to get the feedback and knowledge and meet some real cool people. Everyone is welcome here. Nice blue 62 by the way. You know I like my nickels. Im finding out the hard way that coin photography is quite difficult. You should see some of the jank set ups I have tried. Just cant get the coins to come out smooth. Always look kinda grainy. Ill keep trying tho.

5 hours ago, Lem E said:

Hey my thread is your thread brother. Im just surprised I have had so much traffic on my first thread. Really cool to get the feedback and knowledge and meet some real cool people. Everyone is welcome here. Nice blue 62 by the way. You know I like my nickels. Im finding out the hard way that coin photography is quite difficult. You should see some of the jank set ups I have tried. Just cant get the coins to come out smooth. Always look kinda grainy. Ill keep trying tho.

I appreciate it my friend. It was great to meet you to. I've stood on my head and everything trying to get photos of coins. Its hard to do. I cant seem to get the right kind of light. Also all I have is a phone to take them with. Id like to get a decent camera but really can't afford it. Every time I save a few dollars I end up buying a coin or something instead. 

11 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I appreciate it my friend. It was great to meet you to. I've stood on my head and everything trying to get photos of coins. Its hard to do. I cant seem to get the right kind of light. Also all I have is a phone to take them with. Id like to get a decent camera but really can't afford it. Every time I save a few dollars I end up buying a coin or something instead. 

Yea the lighting is killing me too. Ive had lights on one side, both sides, bouncing off the wall, bouncing off the angled glass, led, incandescent, etc. It’s just going to take a lot of experimentation. I tried to download that photoscape app but they don't have it for iPhone or iPad of course. My desktop doesn't really work all that well anymore, or I would try to download to that. I have been checking out the “follow the picture post” by Idhair and have posted a few of my coins. There has been a little nickel run going and I love it. My pics on the other hand, I don’t love so much. They aren’t terrible but compared to some of the other pics these big timers are posting, mine seem very....dull for lack of a better word. Some of the coins and photos the people are throwing out there are just absolutely sick tight. Glare off of the slab and scratches are also a big problem for me. I get that fog effect. Looks great in the phone and then u look at the pic and its got that haze to it. Drives me nuts. I saw where people polish the slabs before pics. Plastix or something like that is what they used. Not sure if there is something new or better out there regarding that. I don’t really want to spend the cabbage for a bunch of camera stuff and rig up, but may have to do something because I want better pics. I do suggest you check out that thread. People posting some serious coinin and photography that is simply killer.

9 hours ago, Lem E said:

Yea the lighting is killing me too. Ive had lights on one side, both sides, bouncing off the wall, bouncing off the angled glass, led, incandescent, etc. It’s just going to take a lot of experimentation. I tried to download that photoscape app but they don't have it for iPhone or iPad of course. My desktop doesn't really work all that well anymore, or I would try to download to that. I have been checking out the “follow the picture post” by Idhair and have posted a few of my coins. There has been a little nickel run going and I love it. My pics on the other hand, I don’t love so much. They aren’t terrible but compared to some of the other pics these big timers are posting, mine seem very....dull for lack of a better word. Some of the coins and photos the people are throwing out there are just absolutely sick tight. Glare off of the slab and scratches are also a big problem for me. I get that fog effect. Looks great in the phone and then u look at the pic and its got that haze to it. Drives me nuts. I saw where people polish the slabs before pics. Plastix or something like that is what they used. Not sure if there is something new or better out there regarding that. I don’t really want to spend the cabbage for a bunch of camera stuff and rig up, but may have to do something because I want better pics. I do suggest you check out that thread. People posting some serious coinin and photography that is simply killer.

Some of those people are using the photos from the TPG service. You have to pay handsomely for it but they will take professional photos of it when you send it in to grade it. Alot of those very nice photos are the ones they are using. Not all but quite a few. I never do pick that option when I get a coin graded. I usually can barely afford to have it graded alone without all the add ons.   If I ever get hold of something worth thousands I probably will have it done but I don't see that happening. Be nice but its hard to just find those laying around. 

43 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Some of those people are using the photos from the TPG service. You have to pay handsomely for it but they will take professional photos of it when you send it in to grade it. Alot of those very nice photos are the ones they are using. Not all but quite a few. I never do pick that option when I get a coin graded. I usually can barely afford to have it graded alone without all the add ons.   If I ever get hold of something worth thousands I probably will have it done but I don't see that happening. Be nice but its hard to just find those laying around. 

I have been up all night working on pictures, and it seems that a simple table lamp with a soft white bulb and a regular lampshade that I can move around a little has helped bring out more of the true look and colors of the coins. They are flat on the table and I’m still getting colors and patterns. The brighter more fluorescent led light was washing the coin out. Seem to get a better pic with the phone rather than the I pad. I’m ok with the way they are coming out. 

7513CCDC-2FAF-49B2-A930-6CEFF548E75C.jpeg

D39205D6-E615-4A9E-8D50-BB70428649E9.jpeg

961A1810-5E4D-431C-A989-105EF59B44E7.jpeg

EECAB782-97F2-4C2D-B616-567FBB3735D2.jpeg

1B839BCC-6B6F-497C-B606-1B91CE202250.jpeg

F37B02BA-A2AC-47EC-AE4E-0C3CB0F10030.jpeg

Those are pretty good, better than anything I've done.

There was a very informative thread a few months back about this subject, here it is.  

You'll have to sift through some nonsense but there is some very good info in there. One of my goals for this year is to become better at imaging my coins.

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

There was a very informative thread a few months back about this subject, here it is.  

You'll have to sift through some nonsense but there is some very good info in there. One of my goals for this year is to become better at imaging my coins.

Same here. When I joined this forum I asked about a couple coins and tried my best to get good pics of them. And they were ok, but now that ive been on here a while , I started seeing the importance of having really good pictures. And I'm going to start trying to improve mine. Thanks for the post. I will look thru it and try some of those methods also.  

Edited by Hoghead515

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

C’mon Mike. You don't win big time awards for having jank pics. Your stuff is tight and right my friend. Im just working on it. I’ll definitely check that photo business out. Much appreciated. Hey, is there a list of known die cracks anywhere like coneca or one of those places? I just looked through ngcs variety vista but its all mintmarks and stuff. I just got that 51 on the top the other day. Its the same one that was in the earlier post. I noticed what looks like it MAY be a die crack on the reverse. I know thats not a great examination photo but check out from the bottom of pillar 3, up through the pillar, and starts following the dome and up to the bottom of the S in PLURIBUS. I thought it may be a scratch but it seems to follow the whole profile of the device all the way with no gaps. No real color change along the line, and looks kinda jagged and cast looking. (Through 10x and 30x loupe) See what you think and tell me what you or anyone else sees. If its worth a look I can try and post some better exam pics. 

10 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Polish_20210110_122354939.thumb.jpg.102e999d602b9943e5e5aa27d5a92f7d.jpgI tried to take a picture of a buffalo nickle of mine. Im getting a little better but still having trouble with glare. Ill figure it out eventually  with a little trial and error. 

Just be like me and don’t sleep. Looks good man!

Can't tell by the picture but I learned from these guys on the forum that die cracks are raised off the face of the coin and scratches are cut down into it. And scratches can displace metal and raise it to another place. After seeing a few examples close up you will be able to learn the difference fairly quick. I hope it is a die crack on yours. It will give it some great character. 

12 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I just got that 51 on the top the other day. Its the same one that was in the earlier post. I noticed what looks like it MAY be a die crack on the reverse. I know thats not a great examination photo but check out from the bottom of pillar 3, up through the pillar, and starts following the dome and up to the bottom of the S in PLURIBUS.

It looks like it could be a die crack, especially on the pillar it looks raised. I've seen similar bisecting die cracks on other 51's. Here's a link to a thread over at Coin Talk, the die crack is similar but not a match to yours.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1951-s-jefferson-nickel-die-crack.347493/ 

I don't know of a good site to research this but I'm sure someone here will.

10 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

It looks like it could be a die crack, especially on the pillar it looks raised. I've seen similar bisecting die cracks on other 51's. Here's a link to a thread over at Coin Talk, the die crack is similar but not a match to yours.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1951-s-jefferson-nickel-die-crack.347493/ 

I don't know of a good site to research this but I'm sure someone here will.

Taking pics through a loupe is tough! Im too shakey.

E1A5A2CB-2B83-440A-A8F3-8E7D12B8C376.jpeg

460526B2-D9DA-4298-95CB-96E44D3EB6D5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's a yes for me, die crack. Nice find!

Seems like it to me too. Looks like smeared soldering. I think I am naming this one PUNK ROCK TOMMY with his orange mohawk and sweet cross tat under his eye. :headbang: