• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982-D copper or zinc? smalldate
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask about  my penny if its copper or zinc, coz the weight is 2.9 g, l weight it many times and its 2.9 g still.

Thanks and really appreciate for any help!

4C2F216E-8BA5-4B33-9575-9B64404F9C31.jpeg

FF49E2C9-3C6E-4A57-BBEA-6527468FB1C6.jpeg

Keep in mind, also, that, with your scale only reading to one decimal place, your coin could weigh anywhere from 2.85 to 2.94 grams, and your scale would still read "2.9."

The weight is outside the tolerance for either type of planchet, so checking your scale for accuracy, as the previous posters have suggested, would be the first step.

Thanks Guys!

l have attached my 1982 penny, all of them are 3.1 except that 2.9, l tried reset my scale and tried different coins and still 2.9 sometimes 3.0 g if tried to rotate the coin, 

You guys right lt's great idea with 2 decimal scale..

image.jpg

I got a scale that I have to recalibrate it bout every 8 or 10 times I use it. Or if it sits for a while. Its came with a little calibration weight. 

@Hoghead515l agree, but l itried different coins after l took off the battery and turned on still 2.9 g blinking to 3.0 g, l'll try to find a 2 decimal scale, for better accuracy, but l think @Greenstangis right its copper plated zinc, l just wonder all of my 1982 are weighing 3.1 g and thats the only different weight..

15 minutes ago, Cresencio said:

@Hoghead515l agree, but l itried different coins after l took off the battery and turned on still 2.9 g blinking to 3.0 g, l'll try to find a 2 decimal scale, for better accuracy, but l think @Greenstangis right its copper plated zinc, l just wonder all of my 1982 are weighing 3.1 g and thats the only different weight..

Yep. That little scale i have is perfect for weighing coins. Its a Hornady. Its made for weighing gun powder. I use it when I reload shells. It works great if you ever run across any. They come with a calibration weight also and are super simple to calibrate. Its a 2 decimal scale. I was just trying to say if you ever run across one of these they are awsome.  16098184056079149293963698052806.thumb.jpg.5e315d86ac41abedc1967f80085b725a.jpg