• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 quarter
1 1

12 posts in this topic

How can you tell if a quarter is missing a clad layer? I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but, im still new and learning. I found this dark brown quarter and it has little hairline scratches on it. Everywhere it has a scratch it has a copper look to it. I weighed it and its weight is 5.580. Thank you for taking time to read this and help me. Ill post some straight on pics to but this first picture if you look at the scratch by his pony tail you can see the copper looking color. 20201206_104342.thumb.jpg.43945f9433024f3fa60b6d0f9bdb8269.jpg

2 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Hopefully someone knows the difference. I wouldn't know the difference if missing a layer or acid washed. 

Thank you my friend for taking the time to look at it anyways. I really appreciate it 

I have done a little more research and to my findings I dont believe this quarter is missing its clad layer. I believe it spent some time in the dirt and its nickle layer corroded giving it the coppery appearance. It is also to heavy I believe. It should be in the ballpark somewhere around four and a half grams or so. It is also to well struck. These are some of the findings that outweigh my first theory that it was missing its clad layer. Any opinions would be welcomed. If this sounds more logical, or am I wrong all together, or am I losing my mind ? Thank you my friends. 

A clad layer on a quarter weighs about 1 gram, so a clad quarter missing a clad layer should weigh somewhere around 4.77 grams.

The clad layers are 25% nickel 95% copper.  The overall composition of the quarter is 8.33% nickel and 91.77% copper.  Copper and nickel have almost identical weights and density so we can say the nickel would make up 8.33% of the weight of the quarter  5.67 * .833 = .472 grams of nickel.  Now that is in two clad layers so one layer would have 236 grams of nickel  and that makes up 25% or the weight of the clad layer so .236 * 4 = .945 grams as the weight of a clad layer.

The overall composition figure comes from the Mint.

Edited by Conder101

Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate it.  Thanks for the equation also condor. That really helps in my learning. Being a newbie i really look up to you all. It helps me a whole lot to debate things like this probably  more than just reading about it. I wish there was a way I could pay you all back for the help and information.