• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 s peace dollar seems off

16 posts in this topic

hello.  i am fairly new to collecting but have a pretty good understanding of the peace dollar series and just getting into morgans.  I only purchase certified coins now but am always looking at raw coins just to compare.  I came across a couple 1927 s peace dollars (raw) on ebay and immediately was drawn to the "S" mintmark.  the seller has 2 coins up for sale right now and i am not sure either one has the "S" even in the correct location in relation to the spikes and "O" in one.  I got burned a couple times on ebay buying "GEM" raw coins and this appears to be a potentially shady deal in progress.  I couldnt photo capture the images but if anyone is bored and wants to see what they think... they are listed as 1927 s peace dollar  beautiful coin   .  please advise if anyone has time to look and see, thanks   (prices are 400 and 250 BIN)

sorry i dont know what im doing on this computer.  can i ask another question please.  are there different mint mark locations for same year "S" coins?  and would the "S" on a 1934 be in the same place as a 1927?  or can the mint mark location vary from coin to coin?  thanks

26 minutes ago, Paul Hills said:

same seller, that one looks ok to me but now im second guessing myself.  it is the 400 one  no slant in the "S" and location seems way off?

Yea, I'm not seeing where it looks off. Could be the lighting used in the sellers pics. 

Just now, bsshog40 said:

Yea, I'm not seeing where it looks off. Could be the lighting used in the sellers pics. 

were you looking at the 400 one for sale?  should the mintmark on all 1927 S be in the same location?

So, in order is the $250 Peace, then the $400 peace and the last one is from NGC Price Guide. I see the $250 peace is off a little but I'm pretty sure these were hand punched and might be off a little here and there. I may be wrong as I don't collect these, but my guess is I may be right. Lol

250 peace.jpg

400 peace.jpg

NGC peace.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul Hills said:

can the mint mark location vary from coin to coin?  thanks

The mintmarks were punched into each die by hand so the position of the mintmark can vary from one die to the next one.  So if you have coins struck by two different rev dies the mintmark can be in different places.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The mintmarks were punched into each die by hand so the position of the mintmark can vary from one die to the next one.  So if you have coins struck by two different rev dies the mintmark can be in different places.

thanks for all the replies!  this is fantastic information that will be helpful.  that explains clearly to me now  why the location of the mintmark is in different locations.  I really appreciate everyone taking their time to look at this, thanks again

From the reverse photos, neither of them looks like a good value. Mark's suggestion is a good one. Look for a coin with better detail on the eagle's back and right wing - and not deep reeding cuts as in the "$400" item.

11 minutes ago, Cash mike said:

The peace dollars were not minted with the best quality. The 1922 high relief was the best quality minted I believe. Would love to find a high grade one. I'll keep dreaming lol. Peace dollars were sloppy during mint process apparently. 

1922 HR and MR Peace dollars were only made as medal press proofs and experimental pieces. Nearly all were destroyed.