• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading American Bullion

16 posts in this topic

What is the consensus for grading an American Gold Eagle; Early Release? Any advantage over tube storage? For instance take a 2010 American Gold Eagle. After 10 years of encapsulation they still look perfect.

NGC grades them and prices them so, is American Bullion worth grading and encapsulating? Is it a judgement call?

12 minutes ago, Jon Wood said:

Who is JW? The JW initials on the reverse of the American Gold Eagle acknowledges the original designer. Who is this original designer?

Do you refer to Sherl Joseph Winter?

As for paying someone to "grade" them - that's an individual decision. What is expected? What are the risks? What are the limitations - especially that none will ever be less than almost perfect?

In general, I agree with the post "none will ever be less than almost perfect".

However I have one other question about MS bullion verses PF bullion. The U.S. Mint produced PF sets for collectors; no reason to grade but what about the MS coins. The MS coins will surely vary in grade (MS61-MS70). Thus may be a reason to grade or not? Then again, bullion is bullion.

Edited by Jon Wood
addition

Gold is of considerable value (For now)?  Would you elaborate a little more? In my lifetime gold has always been precious and valuable. What could happen with gold to change its status?

On 12/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jon Wood said:

Gold is of considerable value (For now)?  Would you elaborate a little more? In my lifetime gold has always been precious and valuable. What could happen with gold to change its status?

When I bought gold it was around $300.00

the price of gold is not a constant.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:00 AM, MAULEMALL said:

Slabbing a $30.00 disc of silver is silly.. Gold is of considerable value (For now) to warrant protection and authentication...

I think this comment implies that the cost of certification versus the price of an ounce of gold in a bullion coin is a fraction of the net worth compared to a $30 TPG cert for a $25 dollar silver bullion coin.  That is my take.

27 minutes ago, valk1999 said:

I think this comment implies that the cost of certification versus the price of an ounce of gold in a bullion coin is a fraction of the net worth compared to a $30 TPG cert for a $25 dollar silver bullion coin.  That is my take.

That and in the 70's gold was less than $40.00 an ounce.. Not much more than silver today...

Look at platinum over the same period..$100.00 in the 70's    over 2k 2008    $740 in  March 2020    

There has been counterfeits in coins and bars so if you are dropping a grand or more you should protect yourself.

fake gold bars found - Bing images

Gold Industry Shaken as 83 Tons of Fake Gold Bars Used to Secure $2 Billion Loans in China - The Bitcoin News

Edited by MAULEMALL

1 hour ago, valk1999 said:

True, but the certification for the gold bullion still doesn't raise its value enough to cover the certification fee.  A raw gold bullion coin is spot plus a small premium, and unless it comes back as a 70, the value of the certified gold bullion is still spot plus pretty much the same small premium.  Al you have done is given $67 of the small premium to the TPG instead of keeping it in your pocket.

That’s true up to the point that the spot price plus the grading fee exceeds your original costs.  If you bought your bullion at the right times (pre-booms) then your profits can absorb the grading fees.   I’m a believer that air-tites along with proper environmental storage is sufficient protection for raw bullion.  My certified sets are the only exception.

As with anything, it boils down to personal preference and how deep are your pockets.

8 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

That and in the 70's gold was less than $40.00 an ounce.. Not much more than silver today...

Look at platinum over the same period..$100.00 in the 70's    over 2k 2008    $740 in  March 2020    

There has been counterfeits in coins and bars so if you are dropping a grand or more you should protect yourself.

fake gold bars found - Bing images

Gold Industry Shaken as 83 Tons of Fake Gold Bars Used to Secure $2 Billion Loans in China - The Bitcoin News

They are getting better at counterfeiting them gold bars. I got one of the pamp suisse bars. I checked it after I saw your post. It came back as a legit one. Its just a 1 gram bar. I dont think they would waste their time on the small ones, I wouldn't imagine anyway. I suppose they could but everything I saw they was mostly the larger ones like the 1 oz. I checked the little feller anyways. I watched a video and man if a person didn't know what to look for he'd get robbed. They are making the pamp suisse packaging and everything identical. 

23 hours ago, valk1999 said:

If you bought your bullion at the right times (pre-booms) then your profits can absorb the grading fees.

Doesn't matter when you bought it, the price it is now is the price it is now, and having it graded won't really increase that price.  You are still just giving part of your profits to the TPG for no good reason.