• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Suggestions?

9 posts in this topic

In following the advice from some members, and I do think it is good advice, I am growing my resource library. Can someone offer their opinion on good reference books for:

1. Seated liberty series, with a specific interest in half dimes/dimes

2. Mercury dimes

3. Grading standards for US coins with hopefully photographic examples across the grades and key areas to examine for each

4. Forgery detection/coin doctoring 

I have been reading reviews on several, and as usual they seem to be all over the place. 

In no specific order:

Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection from PCGS

Cherrypickers Guide by Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton  This is an excellent reference to replace all that bogus youtube garbage

Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins  This is somewhat out dated with todays TPG market grading but provides an excellent grading base.

New Photograde by James F Ruddy  Also somewhat older but still relevant.

From Mine to Mint  by our own Rodger W Burdette  aka RWB

Indian Gold Coins of the 20th Century  by Mike Fuljenz

History of the United States Mint and its Coinage  by David W Lange

A Collectors Guide to Indian Head Quarter Eagles  by Mike Fuljenz

The complete Guide to Liberty seated dimes  by Brian Greer

a fantastic web resource for seated dimes: http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/index.htm

The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide  by Richard Snow

These are some that come to mind right off, I will add that if you are interested in seated coinage joining the Liberty Seated Collectors Club is well worth the fee and I would also suggest that you look over Gerry Fortin's website which I linked above.

Add Mercury Dimes by David W. Lange.

Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins is especially good for showing what "grades" are supposed to be, not the inflated things seen today.

PCGS and NGC counterfeit sections on their web sites are useful for older fakes and general information.

[From Mine to Mint  by our own Roger W Burdette  aka RWB - I'd hold off until you've read Lange's US Mint and a few others. You'll get the most from the book with some basics under your belt. Every copy includes a full searchable PDF; make sure yours has one -- RWB]

Edited by RWB

The Whitman "Guide Book" series is great for basic information on different coin series. (I wrote the Peace Dollar book and helped with some others.)

Edited by RWB

8 minutes ago, RWB said:

The Whitman "Guide Book" series is great for basic information on different coin series. (I wrote the Peace Dollar book and helped with some others.)

+1

You can't go wrong with any book by David Lange (DWLange) or Roger Burdette (RWB).

Q. David Bowers has written a few good ones, too.  Also, Kevin Flynn's series of reference books are helpful, if you like to hunt varieties.

Thank you all! I just ordered about 5 of these. I’ve had a cherry pickers purchased from Amazon for months now, and no eta on when it will actually come. Does anyone know where to find them?

3 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Thank you all! I just ordered about 5 of these. I’ve had a cherry pickers purchased from Amazon for months now, and no eta on when it will actually come. Does anyone know where to find them?

Now you're ready for a snowy winter!

21 hours ago, RWB said:

Mercury Dimes by David W. Lange.

Dude wore this one out but don't let him know!!  he runs around here like he owns the place!!!  hahahahha JUST KIDDING!!

Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins

The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide  by Richard Snow

Official Red Book A guide to Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels ...one of my favorites  on my 3rd copy.