• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Commemoratives
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I love the National Park commemoratives for Augustus Saint-Gaudens.  You get to have some proof and reverse proof designs of patterns that the Mint never created.  

I've bought a bunch of the silver ones, but not the gold ones.  Many are pricey, but if you are patient, you should be able to buy a gold one for within 10% or so of gold spot.

Do Pedigrees Live On?

Some Modern Commemoratives are raw; others have pedigrees. In my words, pedigrees often include authentication, certification, grading, damage control (serialized/holder), special label, designer signature, FDI and/or FDP status and some exclusivity. 

As a long time enthusiast and newbie Modern Collector, I think I understand but I struggle with the importance of perfection. What if a coin is near perfect?  Some people won't accept anything but perfect. That's fine but what about the rest? What's the difference in value between the grades?  What's a Pedigree worth? How important is it for a coin to specify a motto, monetary value, date or purity? 

I appreciate all comments, as long as they're civil.  Jon

On 12/1/2020 at 4:39 AM, Modwriter said:

Sestercenntennial? You have got to be kidding me.

If Albany, New York can be honored with a commemorative half-dollar on the occasion of its 250th anniversary (1936) would it really be asking too much to respond in kind with a special line of classic coin designs to mark the occasion of the 250th anniversary of the United States (2026)? Seems to be a lot of resistance to this by the collector community but I am not sure exactly why. Do you feel the coins [and currency] currently in circulation are the very best we can do? There's something missing and it's not just denticles.

I like the idea of a 250th Anniversary Commemorative, especially if it celebrates one of our brave hero's.

In terms of coins in circulation, I would vote for something with meaning. Something we can all be proud of. Maybe a limited series that could encourage our youth to reach for the stars.

trust me...its a bad idea, in this counter culture, woke, political correct, revisionist environment the design and/or person(s) that would appear on the coin would not be any of our nations heros that helped establish our country...their memorials r being torn down as we speak....its better to have nothing than something envisioned by the persons who currently would make that decision...

12 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

would it really be asking too much to respond in kind with a special line of classic coin designs to mark the occasion of the 250th anniversary of the United States (2026)?

A series of new coin designs (cent through half dollar) are planned in 2026 to mark the anniversary.  Right now just on the circulating coins but there is still time for a commemorative coin program to be passed as well.

Has there ever been a commerative coin with Franklin Peale on it?  If not there should be. He was one of the most important inventors who ever stepped foot in the US Mint. His improvements to the mint were genius for their time. 

1 hour ago, Jon Wood said:

What did Franklin Peale invent? I'll see what I can find online. Thanks for your interest in Commemoratives.

He invented a better toggle press in the 1800s. He improved every single procedure of the US Mint. If you want to read more about all his improvements to the mint I recommend getting the spring 2013 issue 2 of JNR. It is very interesting. He was a genius. Polish_20210210_151233466.thumb.jpg.a7a55aac54170b488625ace76bfd1fc1.jpg

On 2/11/2021 at 3:22 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

True comem silver dollars have specific face value just like ASEs do.  Comem medals do not. 

Medals struck by the U.S. Mint -- or medals struck by private minters like The Franklin Mint, or the Saint-Gaudens National Park coins that I think were struck by the Royal Mint up in Canada ?

Face value isn't that important, since nobody would be spending these as currency anyways.  At least I hope not !! xD