• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about getting an 1879 s Morgan graded. The only reason I wanted to was for personal reasons. To preserve it and hand it down to my kids. After examining it a little I cant tell if it been lightly cleaned or if those are small scratches where it has been in a bag or something at one time or another. I would thank you all very much for some advice. Sorry about the photos. I tried for 20 minutes to get a good picture. Stood on my head and everything. Im a poor boy with nothing but junk to work with. If I need better pics under a different lighting just let me know and I'll try something different. Thank you very much. 20201116_142708.thumb.jpg.07cf1510f9c9425b05bc5a1d9ad51fd5.jpg 

Looks like a nice coin, but a little baggy.  If you are just wanting it slabbed for preservation and handing it down through the family (you aren't worried about maximizing resale value), I would recommend sending it to ANACS or SEGS and save some money on fees.  Their slabs will protect and preserve it just as well as the top two services, but will cost you less.

19 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

To preserve it and hand it down to my kids

If grade is not the main concern you really do not need a TPG to slab this coin.  You can find plenty of items to protect this coin at a coin supply website or brick and mortar coin shop.  If grading is important though then Conder provided good advice.

Thank you all for weighing in to help me. What my plans were was trying to maybe help add a little value to some of the better coins I have. I figured if I put a little money out of my pocket into grading a few I was hoping maybe a few years down the road my kids may be able to get a little better price out of them if they are graded. I figured it may help a little on the value long term. But that particular Morgan had those scratches on it and I couldn't really tell if those were just bag scratches or if someone tried to very lightly clean it. To me it doesn't look cleaned but I'm still learning. I haven't quite got the eye for it yet. I did however see a couple more I got burned up on that I bought off ebay. They were definitely cleaned. I just had got into the hobby and didn't know what I was doing. I have learned a whole lot from reading the different post  off this forum from you all. Still trying to learn. But I gave 60 dollars for the coin above. Did I pay to much. Also what do you think it would grade if I do send it in. I really appreciate the feedback. 

Getting it certified will almost certainly add nothing to the sentimental value, if your intent is to pass it down.  A 2x2 holder would be much cheaper and more interesting, especially as you could write something personal on the holder.  The coin appears to grade something like MS-62 if I am interpreting the photos correctly.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:22 AM, James_OldeTowne said:

Getting it certified will almost certainly add nothing to the sentimental value, if your intent is to pass it down.  A 2x2 holder would be much cheaper and more interesting, especially as you could write something personal on the holder.  The coin appears to grade something like MS-62 if I am interpreting the photos correctly.

Agree, maybe 63 on a good day. But if forced to choose, 62.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you all for the input. After seeing your responses I think I will just purchase some air tites and put it in one. 

The ones from Lulu Lemon look nice...and they certainly appear air tite.

:)

36 minutes ago, RWB said:

Whoa, just whoa. :D

12 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Agree, maybe 63 on a good day. But if forced to choose, 62.

Thats bout what I figured it would grade. I figured a 61 or 62. Those scratches hurt it pretty bad. I hit in the ballpark pretty close. Im a learning. 

12 hours ago, RWB said:

I will have to look into those. Never heard of them before. I need to try to buy a few of them. I got several nice coins worthy of preserving, but not worthy of having slabbed.                            Thank you my friends for giving me some good advice and information. 

Uhmmmm....A clarification. The Lulu Lemon air tite comment was "humor." Lulu Lemon sells "yoga" pants and women's items that are so "tite" that no air can get between fabric and skin...It might be possible to read the inscription on a coin ... but I've never tried.

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Uhmmmm....A clarification. The Lulu Lemon air tite comment was "humor." Lulu Lemon sells "yoga" pants and women's items that are so "tite" that no air can get between fabric and skin...It might be possible to read the inscription on a coin ... but I've never tried.

Lol. I noticed that when I went to look em up. I knew I was being messed with then. First thing came up was a bunch of women modeling yoga pants. Lol