• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying NAGY SANDOR token?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey fellows. I don't usually come to this room, so I am Karen and I enjoy helping people in my various FB Groups identify their unknowns. I have hit a gigantic stump on this one. I have found only 1 site that shows the same coin but has no info other than the photos. I've also found a few sites that when I enter the characters, as well as I can make them out, come up in search but they are are poorly translated and just long lists of people with awards and such and no photos. 

So maybe one of you can help to identify it. I don't mind doing the research, I love it in fact. So if I can get some info that can steer me in the right direction, links to websites, anything would be great. 

I THINK it is possibly from Austria, Budapest, maybe? 

Thanks a bunch- K

FB_IMG_1605335151473~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1605335151473~3.jpg

FB_IMG_1605337790520.jpg

it seems to be a Hungarian token that commemorates some one Named Alexander. Nagy  Sandor is Alexander the Great. Emberkes (or whatever it says) may be Alexander's last name. What little I can find is in Hungarian and it won't translate on my computer.

Now you are on your own

On 11/18/2020 at 6:55 AM, scopru said:

Hmmm interesting enough item.  Seems odd you would be having this much difficulty finding info on the person

@scopru Right. I think because it is such a common name in Hungary. Finding the right face to go with the name has so far eluded me. 

Nagy Sandor Emlekere translates to the memory of the great covenant. I still can’t determine the figure on the coin. I did find it for sale at a few places. Here is one that sold on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hungarian-Commemorative-Nagy-Sandor-Emlekere-Bronze-Round-Medal-Coin-/283976687103?_ul=BO#vi__app-cvip-panel

Edited by Woods020
Typo

Ok I got determined to figure this out. It seems it is a commemorative for Dr. Tamara Kubászova, a Hungarian medical researcher and artist. 

If someone could translate this, here is a Hungarian Wikipedia link of the medal. 

https://hu.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fájl:Kubászova_Tamara,_Nagy_Sándor_emlékére_eo.ö.br._plakett_106-105mm.jpg

Edited by Woods020