• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 p Nickel non silver
1 1

15 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mrph12 said:

It just don't look like my other silver nickels. 

War nickels come in many more widely varied looks than perhaps any other coin except modern zinc cents. Those are just differing phases of corrosion. 

The "problem" with this War nickel is lack of the customary wear one would expect to find most noticeably on the shoulder where it would appear as a dark gray owing to the coin's tri-partite composition.  Not only is your nickel an authentic silver-bearing coin, it is of a higher grade than any I have ever found in circulation before they were all gobbled up by collectors and speculators.  The silver melt value of war nickels on the lower end of the grade spectrum is currently worth:  $1.38.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:07 PM, Michael Blaine said:

It's been tested by me . With silver  testing solution.And at jewelry store 

Sorry. These don't count as real "testing."

Nearly 6 months elapsed between the last CuNi 5-cent coin production and the new CuAgMn alloy in 1942. Regular alloy did not return until 1946.

Edited by RWB

@Michael Blaine : I believe you were given a "hot shot."  If that sounds like a street drug term, it is.  The "precise" percentages of the alloy used in war-time nickels was 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese. When you say it was "tested," I would like to know the "method" used, and more to the point, if it were sophisticated enough to indicate what the specific percentages were.  Let's not forget, over half the coin was comprised of copper and, adding manganese to the mix, indicates fully 2/3 of the coin was non-silver. Further testing is required. No more simpler than that. IMHO.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, Mrph12 said:

I found this 1943p Nickel looks non silver:eyeroll:

I cannot see the nickel you posted but I am sure it is the real deal. If you are looking for a rarity like a left over planchet from a 1942 type 1 you are on a one in a million search.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:19 AM, J P M said:

I cannot see the nickel you posted but I am sure it is the real deal. If you are looking for a rarity like a left over planchet from a 1942 type 1 you are on a one in a million search.

1 in a million is a sure thing next to this.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, Mrph12 said:

I found this 1943p Nickel looks non silver:eyeroll:

I have quite a lot of silver and part silver coins, which can vary in appearance but it looks like part silver to me.  Did you compare your coin to other silver alloy nickels and realize it wasn't an astronomically rare off-metal planchet error?

I have 1943p war nickel that'd been tested non silver ... at jewelry store 

What were the percent compositions, which the jewelry store would have had if tested with modern XRF equipment.  Anything other than modern XRF or SG testing, including negative results of an indicator, are worthless imo.

Can I send it to ngc for grading .

Sure, but why would you want to spend about $80 to have that done?  Having a 1943-P war nickel with an off-metal planchet error is astronomically rare.