• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOULD I GRADE?

16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I am a newbie to the coin industry and recently have been able to get my hands on End of WW 2 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold coin. After looking at resell prices on ebay, it is apparent that this coin has value but is it worth grading. If I grade it, will it actually add that much value to it or should I just sell it now. I also got 2 of the silver coins but I think ill just sell those raw, unless you guys think I should grade them also.

Thanks for any feedback.

9 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Submit your coins at XF grade. If they grade higher, it will be a nice surprise and be worth the cost in the long run

You've got to try a new canned response.  For one, that's rarely good advice as it is but, more importantly, the OP is referring to a proof issue coin released last week.  The chances that it grades anything less than 69 (if kept in original packaging) is extremely slim.

To the OP, unless you're a collector of the series I'd sell now.  If it graded 70 could it be worth more?  Possibly but not guaranteed.  As of today it's pulling an easy $10k profit over buy price.  Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

9 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Ageed, post it on Ebay raw and make 5 times your investment .... even better profit on the silver proofs from what I've seen.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, Modwriter said:

Submit your coins at XF grade. If they grade higher, it will be a nice surprise and be worth the cost in the long run

Please stop it with this advice. It’s irresponsible. 

20,000 coins and the op wants to get one of ‘em graded. Either way they are selling. 3 to 5 times over the mint price. All you’re doing is spending money. IMO 

just like I did with my quarters. 

5 hours ago, rocket23 said:

20,000 coins and the op wants to get one of ‘em graded. Either way they are selling. 3 to 5 times over the mint price. All you’re doing is spending money. IMO 

What are you talking about.  This is a Gold Eagle.  The fact that he was posting about it Sunday tells me he purchased it last Thursday, not the 1/2 ouncer that came out the 9th.  There are only 1,945 of these.  Not sure where you are getting 20,000.  Those are selling for 4-5x mint release price raw on ebay.  I can't even imagine what a 70 would sell for, as there are literally no graded golds listed that I can see.  I would guess close to $14-$18,000.  Would I spend $300 more to possibly make maybe an extra $4,000?  Hell yes.  Even if it comes back a 69 you are miles ahead.  

1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

What are you talking about.  This is a Gold Eagle.  The fact that he was posting about it Sunday tells me he purchased it last Thursday, not the 1/2 ouncer that came out the 9th.  There are only 1,945 of these.  Not sure where you are getting 20,000.  Those are selling for 4-5x mint release price raw on ebay.  I can't even imagine what a 70 would sell for, as there are literally no graded golds listed that I can see.  I would guess close to $14-$18,000.  Would I spend $300 more to possibly make maybe an extra $4,000?  Hell yes.  Even if it comes back a 69 you are miles ahead.  

Thought it was silver. Info from the mint web. 

23 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Please stop it with this advice. It’s irresponsible. 

[Premature advice made prior to Crawtomatic's subsequent helpful clarification. That's all.]

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Premature advice made prior to Crawtomatic's subsequent helpful clarification. That's all.]

But being repeated ad nauseam on multiple threads. It’s just bad advice. Sorry.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:54 AM, rocket23 said:

I just bought a pack of smokes for like $13. Used two rolls of cull quarters to pay for cigs.😎

34 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I just bought a pack of smokes for like $13. Used two rolls of cull quarters to pay for cigs.😎

Did you get $7 back?