• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intermediate Quiz: What caused these marks?
1 1

97 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

this tells you all you need to know about pcgs ,their guaranty and David hall

http://www.winsociety.org/newsletter/vol-3/happen_12-03.html

Very good article which leaves me with a couple of questions and a comment.

i wonder what evidence PCGS had in the first place to attribute the coin to the Norweb collection?

what information did the writer obtain that, because of time restraints, could not be published until a later date?

comment regarding grading - we all know there has been grade inflation.

2 hours ago, Zebo said:

what information did the writer obtain that, because of time restraints, could not be published until a later date?

Here is a link to part two. I want to specifically state, even though it is also mentioned twice in the article, that this article is based purely on hearsay. Whether it is factual or not is something that may never be provable.

There is another source of information about this whole matter: one of the parties involved is a member of this forum. He has, so far, chosen not to respond, for whatever reason. He may continue to keep quiet about it, or may offer information or opinion. Either way, I respect his choice. After all, it has been almost 20 years since the incident.

LINK

29 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Here is a link to part two. I want to specifically state, even though it is also mentioned twice in the article, that this article is based purely on hearsay. Whether it is factual or not is something that may never be provable.

There is another source of information about this whole matter: one of the parties involved is a member of this forum. He has, so far, chosen not to respond, for whatever reason. He may continue to keep quiet about it, or may offer information or opinion. Either way, I respect his choice. After all, it has been almost 20 years since the incident.

LINK

Thank you for posting the link. Very Interesting. I do like the last paragraph regarding oversight. 

On 9/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, Insider said:

Almost anytime you learn something "new" it is a good thing.

Answer:  When the oxidation on a coin becomes terminal BLACK, the surface under it is etched.  When the black color is removed chemically, the underlying surface is granular and grayish.  This was a difficult quiz because the marks resemble many things we see on coins.  This SLQ is very "special" because of the way the corrosion occurred (streaks resembling a lamination, planchet flaw, or strike thru).  Most terminal toning appears on a coin's rim - often associated with beautiful rainbow color going inward.  The images below is terminal toning away from the rim.  When it is removed, a corroded surface will be present.  This surface can be seen on the Bust Half.

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

what had me stumped was the very linear nature of the corroded areas, what could have caused that? The first photo above shows blotchy black matter on the coin, the second shows another linear patch where presumably gunk was removed. What could do that, contact with a rubber band for years?  PVC? 

26 minutes ago, Porous Planchet said:

what had me stumped was the very linear nature of the corroded areas, what could have caused that? The first photo above shows blotchy black matter on the coin, the second shows another linear patch where presumably gunk was removed. What could do that, contact with a rubber band for years?  PVC? 

I have no idea. Oxidized areas can take on millions of shapes

1 hour ago, Insider said:

I just tried to post a new quiz w/5 images.  Only allowed to post 2 so that quiz was canceled.  I wanted to post something for the weekend.  :(

You may have to do something like that in two or three separate posts