• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Pilgrim Tercentenary
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  they made 172,000 of these in 1920-1921 combine. They destroyed/melted a total of 128,000. That would roughly leave close to 50,000 out in population. Wouldn't these be on the rare side. Especially the 1921s since there were only 20,000 minted. 

20200724_141233.jpg

20200724_141359.jpg

Sorry everyone,  I was reading in the red book. The book wasn't explaining how all that happened. So I looked on line and there saying so many was destroyed/melted for the 1920s to bring it to 150,000 push into population. And so many of the 1921s to 20,000. But cool coin. I just want to point out it does have a misaligned edge and a small die crack from his elbow to the D in dollar. 

I love the design on this coin, have one since childhood. Hate to ask, but how did you acquire it? Are you sure it's authentic? Could be the photos but some stuff seems off.

5 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I love the design on this coin, have one since childhood. Hate to ask, but how did you acquire it? Are you sure it's authentic? Could be the photos but some stuff seems off.

Please don't tell me it isn't so. I got it at a local jewelry store. He's been really honest with me for about  a year. He taught me a little bit of fake coin's out there. I know for sure he will take it back. He said he wouldn't do that to someone. I would think he probably had it tested and other stuff he does checking out his merchandise. 

55 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Please don't tell me it isn't so. I got it at a local jewelry store. He's been really honest with me for about  a year. He taught me a little bit of fake coin's out there. I know for sure he will take it back. He said he wouldn't do that to someone. I would think he probably had it tested and other stuff he does checking out his merchandise. 

I guess I'll PM you. People on here believe that specific details helps fakers. I don't buy into that because I think they're lazy, but I'll respect it.

A beautiful design on a classic, classic commem. It doesn't look fake to me, but perhaps it was cleaned. I would check the edge of the coin and look for any seems or lines of different colors. On the edge, if it's not reeded, you should see lines perpendicular to the edge of the edge from when it was ejected.

I die crack is a good sign when looking for counterfeits, because a die crack is nearly impossible to replicate.

Here's mine (on the right) I got from grandpa as a kid, probably circulated, definitely cleaned (I did it myself at 13). I noticed the... still, could be images, die wear, strike.

1921_1920_50c_rev.jpg

I hate to say it, but I look at the OP coins and I've got some warning alarms going off.  I do suspect that the coin is not good.

"He's been really honest with me for about  a year."

How about after the year was up?

Please, do not buy your coins from a pawn broker or jeweler unless you understand exactly what you are buying and willing to accept the risks.

Hi everyone, I took the coin back and explained what was going on with it. He had no problem taking it back. Plus the weight was way off it weighed 11.44. And pointed out what we were seeing. It's so hard to figure out some coin's when purchasing. I just need to be a little careful next time. I might just take pics next time and do research before buying. I want to thank everyone for helping me on this coin. Lesson learned, but it all came out ok.(worship)