• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a coin collector  from India. Please could anyone tell me whether my Lincoln penny of 1944 has an error on the date or is it just a damage.  Also the first 4 on the date is somewhat ..like a double impression.  What would be the coins worth?

lin wh cent 1.jpg

lin wh cent 2.jpg

Yep. Looks like that coin experienced a couple of rough impacts. Since high quality examples are very inexpensive, damaged and worn examples are worth either US$0.01 or their copper value, whichever is greater.

5 hours ago, hydnumis said:

Hello, I'm a coin collector  from India. Please could anyone tell me whether my Lincoln penny of 1944 has an error on the date or is it just a damage.  Also the first 4 on the date is somewhat ..like a double impression.  What would be the coins worth?

lin wh cent 1.jpg

lin wh cent 2.jpg

My opinion would be a die clash error!. reason is because the so called damaged, is really coming from the surface of the coin as to  abrasions attacking the surface! Where the old coinage die clash meets! ! Hey they didn't catch what you said 👍👏👏wow ! NGC 😁 people see your true colors 😂

lin wh cent 1.jpg

lin wh cent 2.jpg

As I said they didn't catch what said.👍

Edited by Funlearning

lin wh cent 1.jpg

lin wh cent 2.jpg

I don't have y

lin wh cent 1.jpg

lin wh cent 2.jpg

I don't have your coin? Now note the date! He said it was hint! That's a lie! The 9 is there just it's been smothered by the old coinage that came from the surface.so that it's clearly there just damaged by old coinage! So please tell them  who you are again 👏👏👏👍

"Hello, I'm a coin collector  from India. Please could anyone tell me whether my Lincoln penny of 1944 has an error on the date or is it just a damage.  Also the first 4 on the date is somewhat ..like a double impression.  What would be the coins worth?"

Hydnumis - Your 1944 Lincoln cent is damaged and worth approximately 2-cents in bronze. Sending it to NGC, PCGS or any other certification and grading company is a total waste of time and money.

PS: Most members here will be happy to answer your questions as directly and honestly as possible.

Edited by RWB
Added PS

5 hours ago, RWB said:

"Hello, I'm a coin collector  from India. Please could anyone tell me whether my Lincoln penny of 1944 has an error on the date or is it just a damage.  Also the first 4 on the date is somewhat ..like a double impression.  What would be the coins worth?"

Hydnumis - Your 1944 Lincoln cent is damaged and worth approximately 2-cents in bronze. Sending it to NGC, PCGS or any other certification and grading company is a total waste of time and money.

PS: Most members here will be happy to answer your questions as directly and honestly as possible.

Thank you RWB, and all members on NGC board for your time and valuable opinions and comments.  However, the date of this coin still keeps me wondering how could the "4" chip off partly with such precision and leave the base which could still be read as "4".  any reviews on this please?

7 hours ago, l.cutler said:

Dunlearnin, please don't confuse legitimate posters genuinely looking for information with your nonsense.  The coin has been properly identified as damaged.

Thank you 

10 hours ago, JKK said:

Yep. Looks like that coin experienced a couple of rough impacts. Since high quality examples are very inexpensive, damaged and worn examples are worth either US$0.01 or their copper value, whichever is greater.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Not an error, just damage. Looks like the date has taken a hit.  In that condition it may be worth a couple of cents.

Thank you

I notice that parts of L, 1 and 9 are also chopped off. Lots of deep hits to the portrait. How do you run across a 1944 US cent in India? I'm imagining it may have traveled there during WWII.

3 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I notice that parts of L, 1 and 9 are also chopped off. Lots of deep hits to the portrait. How do you run across a 1944 US cent in India? I'm imagining it may have traveled there during WWII.

Hi Kbbpll, Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure how it came over here. It could be possible as you said "during wwII " or maybe through some collector. I bought a set of 21 coins of 1944/42/45/41 and one 1958 in extra fine condition at an exorbitant price

1 hour ago, hydnumis said:

However, the date of this coin still keeps me wondering how could the "4" chip off partly with such precision and leave the base which could still be read as "4".  any reviews on this please?

That is actually a common occurrence. We see pictures of coins with this type of damage quite often.