• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw this while watching RCTV and wanted to share it with the board.
1 1

123 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2024 at 6:39 PM, VKurtB said:

No truer words have ever been written. But also, if you poll the body that made the appointment, they’d probably regret the decision. I have done such polling.

...lets not lose perspective here...in that same Numismatist article (august 2023) the cover n 7 pages were dedicated to the ANA's highest award recipient, Mike Fuljenz, for the Chester Krause award...the Numistmatist of the Year award was relegated to page 68 in a small 4 paragraph spread...what more can i say?....

On 5/2/2024 at 7:01 PM, VKurtB said:

You have OBVIOUSLY not been paying attention to what RWB has been saying over and over and over again on the subject of grading. I must wonder whether the failure to pay attention is intentional or accidental. 

...please dont go there....

On 5/2/2024 at 6:07 PM, zadok said:

...lets not lose perspective here...in that same Numismatist article (august 2023) the cover n 7 pages were dedicated to the ANA's highest award recipient, Mike Fuljenz, for the Chester Krause award...the Numistmatist of the Year award was relegated to page 68 in a small 4 paragraph spread...what more can i say?....

When people on the board were pointed to what happened before the ANA board in October 2014, their enthusiasm flagged measurably. Something involving a Mr. Carr. 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:10 PM, VKurtB said:

When people on the board were pointed to what happened before the ANA board in October 2014, their enthusiasm flagged measurably. Something involving a Mr. Carr. 

...fully aware, but one must consider the background of the board members as well...the NotY award often goes to a book writer whether they can find a publisher or not, the basis for the award was intended for those who promote the hobby, in many/most of the books ive either read or scanned thru i have seldom seen the word "hobby" at all, mostly a bunch of "me, my,i" adulations....

On 5/2/2024 at 6:17 PM, zadok said:

...fully aware, but one must consider the background of the board members as well...the NotY award often goes to a book writer whether they can find a publisher or not, the basis for the award was intended for those who promote the hobby, in many/most of the books ive either read or scanned thru i have seldom seen the word "hobby" at all, mostly a bunch of "me, my,i" adulations....

First Person Singular Theater?

On 5/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, zadok said:

...this is also true for the selections for "most influential numismatists"...most on the list have never influenced one hobbyist only themselves, organizations, businesses within the hobby or publications associated with the hobby, if one wants to acknowledge true influential persons that have promoted the hobby one needs look no further than QDB, the true current influencers of the hobby were not even mentioned...even Walter still influences the hobby more than most on that list, RIP....

On 5/2/2024 at 6:52 PM, zadok said:

...to summarize:..only the "schlub" part is correct, rest just sick stuff....

I will take this for the compliment it was meant as.  (thumbsu

On 5/2/2024 at 7:09 PM, zadok said:

...please dont go there....

Intentional or accidental... I just don't see anything worth busting a gasket over.  Kurt, you do your own grading.  Why would you care about what the Owner's Manual on Grading says?  I don't.

:signofftopic:. Thirty Thousand people lost their lives in Gaza. A quarter of a million people lost their lives in and about Ukraine. And, oh yeah, I have to pay more attention to what everyone here says. Sheesh! And that's  whether I get a sad emoji from z or not.  C'est la vie! My wife loves me.  I told her I became smitten with her one day when she objected to something I said and, pointing one forefinger in the air for emphasis, said:  "'scuse me, SIR!"  We were already married for over a year. I never got over that...  :)

On 5/2/2024 at 6:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Intentional or accidental... I just don't see anything worth busting a gasket over.  Kurt, you do your own grading.  Why would you care about what the Owner's Manual on Grading says?  I don't.

:signofftopic:. Thirty Thousand people lost their lives in Gaza. A quarter of a million people lost their lives in and about Ukraine. And, oh yeah, I have to pay more attention to what everyone here says. Sheesh! And that's  whether I get a sad emoji from z or not.  C'est la vie! My wife loves me.  I told her I became smitten with her one day when she objected to something I said and, pointing one forefinger in the air for emphasis, said:  "'scuse me, SIR!"  We were already married for over a year. I never got over that...  :)

Gazans deserve what they got given 7 October 2023. I am pro-Israel. 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:25 PM, zadok said:

...this is also true for the selections for "most influential numismatists"...most on the list have never influenced one hobbyist only themselves, organizations, businesses within the hobby or publications associated with the hobby, if one wants to acknowledge true influential persons that have promoted the hobby one needs look no further than QDB, the true current influencers of the hobby were not even mentioned...even Walter still influences the hobby more than most on that list, RIP....

🐓:  I thought coming-out parties for debutantes were off-limits for Debbie downers. I would resign my commission here forthwith with nary another thought if you would look at the brighter side of life just once and retire that sad emoji I have been told has been rehubbed three times to date, immediately.  :whistle:

On 5/2/2024 at 9:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  I thought coming-out parties for debutantes were off-limits for Debbie downers. I would resign my commission here forthwith with nary another thought if you would look at the brighter side of life just once and retire that sad emoji I have been told has been rehubbed three times to date, immediately.  :whistle:

The software is so lacking in its own emojis that I’ve been reduced to using the “regular” ones. 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:07 PM, zadok said:

Fuljenz wrote some books with Doug Winters on Double Eagles. (thumbsu

On 5/2/2024 at 10:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Gazans deserve what they got given 7 October 2023. I am pro-Israel. 

...im thinking we all prob have strong opinions on this subject but im sure that ngc will step in if we go down that path n in this small insignificant part of our world i think we mite need to refrain n discuss toning...there r many unjust situations in our world, unfortunately those that could correct them dont choose to, i dont understand why the oppressed dont stand n fight against their oppressors within their own countries, but there r many things i dont understand....

On 5/2/2024 at 10:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

...ive requested a vomit n a pathetic emoji three times but apparently they r lost in the mail...eliminating the rot usually saves the foundation....

On 5/3/2024 at 3:08 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Fuljenz wrote some books with Doug Winters on Double Eagles. (thumbsu

...a writer after ur own heart, n he did so much more for the hobby than write...:golfclap:

On 5/3/2024 at 7:52 AM, zadok said:

...a writer after ur own heart, n he did so much more for the hobby than write...:golfclap:

We serve together (Fuljenz and I) on the ANA Membership and Outreach Committee. 

On 5/3/2024 at 7:43 AM, zadok said:

...im thinking we all prob have strong opinions on this subject but im sure that ngc will step in if we go down that path n in this small insignificant part of our world i think we mite need to refrain n discuss toning...there r many unjust situations in our world, unfortunately those that could correct them dont choose to, i dont understand why the oppressed dont stand n fight against their oppressors within their own countries, but there r many things i dont understand....

I remember a time when all (seemingly) Americans could be assumed to be pro-Israel as a core element of being an American. The fact that is no longer the case IS the tragedy. 

On 5/3/2024 at 1:02 PM, VKurtB said:

I remember a time when all (seemingly) Americans could be assumed to be pro-Israel as a core element of being an American. The fact that is no longer the case IS the tragedy. 

...i remember when our colleges were there to teach, now they r there to indoctrinate, perhaps that is when we lost our way....

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 7:09 PM, zadok said:

...i remember when our colleges were there to teach, now they r there to indoctrinate, perhaps that is when we lost our way....

I got to watch an example of that happen in real time. My professor for Money & Banking, at Franklin & Marshall, was called away and took a sabbatical to serve as Pennsylvania’s Secretary of Banking, a year after I took his course in 1974. Many years later (he was kind of young as a professor in ‘74) I saw he was retiring finally. I called him, and he remembered me. He had morphed into an ultra-leftist wackjob. A past state Secretary of Banking. Wow!

My microeconomics prof became Prime Minister of Turkey, Tansu Çiller. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, VKurtB said:

I got to watch an example of that happen in real time. My professor for Money & Banking, at Franklin & Marshall, was called away and took a sabbatical to serve as Pennsylvania’s Secretary of Banking, a year after I took his course in 1974. Many years later (he was kind of young as a professor in ‘74) I saw he was retiring finally. I called him, and he remembered me. He had morphed into an ultra-leftist wackjob. A past state Secretary of Banking. Wow!

My microeconomics prof became Prime Minister of Turkey, Tansu Çiller. 

...i watch our elected congressional representatives query the appointed college presidents, im struggling to determine which r the biggest losers, i grade the lot Po-1 to Fr-2 not an Ag-3 among them....

On 5/3/2024 at 8:43 AM, zadok said:

...im thinking we all prob have strong opinions on this subject....

...there r many unjust situations in our world,...

....unfortunately those that could correct them dont choose to,

....i dont understand why the oppressed dont stand n fight against their oppressors within their own countries,

....there r many things i dont understand....

:signofftopic: musings, but critical to truly understanding why things happen.

By law, and Guidelines, most regrettably, I cannot share my vast storehouse of knowledge with you.

Nevertheless, probably the most insightful comments ever posted on any Forum anywhere.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:09 PM, zadok said:

No. Stop it!  :signofftopic:

We lost our way when silver was taken out of coinage and Big Pharma decided to flex its muscle. (My wife's psychiatrist told me if you feel she no longer requires psychotropic drugs -- she no longer needs me presumably because her primary job is to prescribe medicines. Education relies wholly on what you read regularly, what channel you listen to, from whom or what (school, college or university) you get your education, and ultimately what you choose to do with it when you get it.  Nothing more complicated than that.

The fear of [tetragrammaton] is the beginning of knowledge.

(Posted at the discretion of moderators.)

On 5/3/2024 at 9:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

:signofftopic: musings, but critical to truly understanding why things happen.

By law, and Guidelines, most regrettably, I cannot share my vast storehouse of knowledge with you.

Nevertheless, probably the most insightful comments ever posted on any Forum anywhere.

...empty boxes r just empty boxes....

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, Henri Charriere said:

No. Stop it!  :signofftopic:

We lost our way when silver was taken out of coinage and Big Pharma decided to flex its muscle. (My wife's psychiatrist told me if you feel she no longer requires psychotropic drugs -- she no longer needs me presumably because her primary job is to prescribe medicines. Education relies wholly on what you read regularly, what channel you listen to, from whom or what (school, college or university) you get your education, and ultimately what you choose to do with it when you get it.  Nothing more complicated than that.

The fear of [tetragrammaton] is the beginning of knowledge.

(Posted at the discretion of moderators.)

It IS perfectly acceptable to believe one no longer needs the level of medical/psychiatric care that said alleged “care”giver is inclined to provide. Having one’s M.D. degree does NOT make one immune from perverse incentives. Hippocrates be damned. 

Edited by VKurtB

1894-S Liberty Head Double Eagle infomercial this Friday morning @ 12:30 AM (Thurs Night/Friday Morning) on Blooomberg TV.

I think there's another one for another common LH DE on Saturday.  Will report back if anybody is interested.

The story-telling IMO is very good in these segments....you DO learn alot.  I just dislike the high prices charged, even accepting they have to make a profit, I just think they're a bit too high.

On 5/14/2024 at 2:15 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

1894-S Liberty Head Double Eagle infomercial this Friday morning @ 12:30 AM (Thurs Night/Friday Morning) on Blooomberg TV.

I think there's another one for another common LH DE on Saturday.  Will report back if anybody is interested.

The story-telling IMO is very good in these segments....you DO learn alot.  I just dislike the high prices charged, even accepting they have to make a profit, I just think they're a bit too high.

OF COURSE they are. SOMEBODY has to pay for that television time, and IT IS THE COIN BUYER, nobody else. That is the flaw in ALL television coin shows. Air time is expensive; it adds to the seller’s overhead, and YOU PAY FOR IT!

On 5/14/2024 at 2:42 PM, VKurtB said:

OF COURSE they are. SOMEBODY has to pay for that television time, and IT IS THE COIN BUYER, nobody else. That is the flaw in ALL television coin shows. Air time is expensive; it adds to the seller’s overhead, and YOU PAY FOR IT!

If somebody just buys 1 or even passes and just learns from the show, I think it's OK.  I just hope nobody is buying their next 5 years's worth of gold at a 30% premium.

By law, I am required to give these representatives of the coin collecting community their props, as it were, but I cannot help but feel their authoritarive pitch is aimed almost exclusively at people who know nothing about the hobby beginning with some fundamentals like Sheldonization which lends itself perfectly to manufactured scarcity, fair market values, long-term trends and precisely what some of the extortionate prices demanded -- conveniently camouflaged  by more palatable installment payments -- are really worth when viewers, acting under time constraints are urged to get aboard now or lose out big-time on what appears to be a lifetime opportunity that may never come along again.

Old hands view these with knowing amusement.  Those who will get fleeced are likely the unacquainted or well-meaning retirees with grandchildren -- and sufficient largely uncommitted disposable income.  Caveat emptor!

(Posted at the discretion of NGC Moderation.)