• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1884 Morgan Possible Fake?

12 posts in this topic

Looking through my coins I came across this Morgan. Being novice and quite skeptical it looks a little to clean to me. There are some abrasions on the cheek, and a few others around the coin, but nothing I would consider too major. And also like stated it's quite clean. I thought maybe it had polished or something but I don't see anything that would give that indication. I do not have a scale to weigh either. What are ya'lls thoughts? If it is real, what grade and value would you put on it? Sorry if my pics aren't very good. I used the Cozy Magnifier app and they were taken at 3x. They looked a lot better when I first took them. TIA

20200510_020854.jpg

20200510_020931.jpg

It looks genuine, maybe been cleaned. Hard to give a grade with the reflection on the pictures but if it was in AU condition, it would probably be worth 35-40 dollars.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

It looks genuine, maybe been cleaned. Hard to give a grade with the reflection on the pictures but if it was in AU condition, it would probably be worth 35-40 dollars.

Thanks. It is slabbed and that was part of another reason it kind of concerned me. It came from a lot sale and any other coin that came with it that is slabbed is graded, even if by a basement slabbed. But this one isn't. And given the apparent condition, just had me wondering. 

I do understand and agree on the reflection and apologize. 

The pics don't make it easy, but from them I suspect the surface is original and that the light makes it look a little worse than it is. The coin definitely looks uncirculated with the limiting factor being some very nasty prime focal dings, so I doubt it gets above 61 (or at least it shouldn't). My grading guide for 61 on a Morgan: May have a few heavy (or numerous light) marks in prime focal and/or secondary areas [definitely present]; may have noticeable patch or continuous hairlining over surface [not present, yay]; luster may be original or impaired [I think it's original; could be wrong]; eye appeal unattractive [could be true based on the nasty marks].

24 minutes ago, pogohatesme said:

I appreciate the input. I will work on taking better pics and figuring out a way to reduce glare/reflection.

It's hard. Numismatic photography is a fine art (one often abused by online sellers). I am awful at it.

I doubt the opinions will change and that is perfectly fine, but thought I would give it ago and took some more pictures. Personally I think these are better. There is still a bit of a glare but not as much. I read a response on another thread that gave a link to grading Morgans. After reviewing that, personally I can see an AU or possibly MS61 grade. Would I be to far off on that? 

Also, it is currently slabbed in just a generic airtite. I know most of the people on here don't feel it's worth sending in unless the coin currently has that value. I am leaning towards possibly sending in that way it's already graded and ready whenever down the road if I decided to get rid of it. Is my thought process wrong about that? 

20200512_010909.jpg

20200512_010936.jpg

20200512_011006.jpg

20200512_011028.jpg

I think you're about right on grade; I do see what looks like wear so AU.

As to your thinking on sending in, it totally depends on what you are trying to achieve, and if you're playing with disposable income versus treating it like an investment. The reason most folks don't send in coins like this is that the value of the coin would be eaten up by the cost of grading and encapsulating it. Let's be generous and say the coin straight grades AU 58, so according to NGC price guides is valued at $47.50. Let's also be really generous and say that you were given the coin so your investment in it is $0. Sending it in via economy tier is $22 plus shipping both ways - call it another $20 in total, or $42 to get it graded.

Now let's be incredibly generous and say you've got a buyer at the NGC price guide price. The coin in its current airtite cost you nothing, so you made $47.50. Enjoy that burger & beer! But if you had it graded & slabbed, you have to take out the $42 - so you've made $3.50. Enjoy your Starbucks espresso.

Of course the real world doesn't work like the one I just described; you've got money sunk in the coin already, buyers always pay under price guides, and I went best case on grading. You can see how a coin that is worth a little bit now would very quickly turn into something you'd end up selling at a loss. Would it be easier to sell a graded coin? Yes, of course...if it straight grades. It's your thinking and your money so therefore your choice - some folks like the assurance that they can sell it quickly, some folks like all their coins in the same little boxes - it's up to you what that's all worth!

8 hours ago, Kirt said:

I think you're about right on grade; I do see what looks like wear so AU.

As to your thinking on sending in, it totally depends on what you are trying to achieve, and if you're playing with disposable income versus treating it like an investment. The reason most folks don't send in coins like this is that the value of the coin would be eaten up by the cost of grading and encapsulating it. Let's be generous and say the coin straight grades AU 58, so according to NGC price guides is valued at $47.50. Let's also be really generous and say that you were given the coin so your investment in it is $0. Sending it in via economy tier is $22 plus shipping both ways - call it another $20 in total, or $42 to get it graded.

Now let's be incredibly generous and say you've got a buyer at the NGC price guide price. The coin in its current airtite cost you nothing, so you made $47.50. Enjoy that burger & beer! But if you had it graded & slabbed, you have to take out the $42 - so you've made $3.50. Enjoy your Starbucks espresso.

Of course the real world doesn't work like the one I just described; you've got money sunk in the coin already, buyers always pay under price guides, and I went best case on grading. You can see how a coin that is worth a little bit now would very quickly turn into something you'd end up selling at a loss. Would it be easier to sell a graded coin? Yes, of course...if it straight grades. It's your thinking and your money so therefore your choice - some folks like the assurance that they can sell it quickly, some folks like all their coins in the same little boxes - it's up to you what that's all worth!

Thanks for the reply. I understand and agree with all that was said. My thought process is just being able to possibly get more for the coin with it being graded as opposed to just saying the grade is whatever. I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing in my thoughts.

The only thing going for you to possibly send this in is if it were one of the five VAM's  that are either Top 100 or Hot 50 designations. While it is doubtful this one is ....  if you like to do research you could investigate. While the pics aren't very detailed and  I don't see anything that pops out to me you could still take a look on Vamworld.

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1884-P_VAMs

13 hours ago, Terence:) said:

The only thing going for you to possibly send this in is if it were one of the five VAM's  that are either Top 100 or Hot 50 designations. While it is doubtful this one is ....  if you like to do research you could investigate. While the pics aren't very detailed and  I don't see anything that pops out to me you could still take a look on Vamworld.

Thanks for the link. Might come I  handy with a couple other Morgans I have also!

On 5/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, Terence:) said:

Your slipping on the vam @Terrance64 (jk)

That coin looks to me Like a MS62 ( Darn hit on the breast )  with some brush marks on the frost distracting your eyes 

It is also single possibly a double clashed 1884p 

Cracks are pretty decipherable in the pictures also - if  I get some time I will try and vam it up unless @Terrance64   beats me to it :-)

Edited by jgrinz