• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-D Kennedy Half

20 posts in this topic

Yea I'm gonna say 64 possibly 65. Not really sure why this would have been your first submittance. Doesn't seem like it was worth the cost. Just wondering. 

Well this was a trial run, so I used my 8 free submissions to send in various denominations and get a good idea on a whole light of things (FS designations, FB, was this coin cleaned at one point.. etc.) 

I've been through hundreds if not thousands of Kennedies and never seen one with such a deep, milky luster that's prevalent even at the highest points. Not to mention the fullness of strike and lack of dings.

And honestly bsshog40, if I judged from the pictures on CoinFacts what's considered MS-67 by PCGS, it didn't seem like the competition was too fierce from a technical standpoint.

While they do have pretty colors, don't get me wrong, they show massive amounts of scratching, dings, weak strikes, weak luster.. 

5 hours ago, Salvus Eruit said:

Well this was a trial run, so I used my 8 free submissions to send in various denominations and get a good idea on a whole light of things (FS designations, FB, was this coin cleaned at one point.. etc.) 

Good idea. My first submission will be like this too, if I ever get around to doing it. I imagine for a lot of coins this answers the question "why was that slabbed?".

I'll guess 65 as well.

6 hours ago, Salvus Eruit said:

And honestly bsshog40, if I judged from the pictures on CoinFacts what's considered MS-67 by PCGS, it didn't seem like the competition was too fierce from a technical standpoint.

While they do have pretty colors, don't get me wrong, they show massive amounts of scratching, dings, weak strikes, weak luster.. 

I hear ya. Usually weak strikes won't affect the grade and there are those that slip thru the cracks. Lol

6 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I hear ya. Usually weak strikes won't affect the grade and there are those that slip thru the cracks. Lol

More like slip through the floodgates. If what I'm posting below are $700 coins, I should have thrown away the Sheldon Scale years ago and focused on groovy toners:

886780460_Screenshot_20200423-1945352.thumb.png.7cb888452577a012e6e3c7b36ba7922b.png660211207_Screenshot_20200423-1944112.thumb.png.fcac261523ee870933c7309bbb1e3e25.png

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Before somebody asks about a doubled-die reverse, the OP's coin has strike doubling on much of the reverse lettering. This is fun, but it adds no value.

5 minutes ago, Salvus Eruit said:

Well I'm still trying to figure out what does add value! Do the surfaces need to be smoother...? I don't know how a coin with so many dings can be a 67 and mine's a 65:

478876292_Screenshot_20200426-2106252.thumb.png.5597c89815385254057e681ceda69fe9.png

Without question these moderns are graded conservatively and it's obvious NGC has again tightened its belt.